Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Nov 12, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #691 of 1,272
Perhaps fhe Medtrum NOS DAC swould give warmer tone as their characteristics, though I never heard them personally.
My friend brought over the Metrum Onyx about a month ago and I recall the r2r7 being the warmer of the two (I was using v2 NOS3 at the time). In an a/b comparison the r2r7 is lively/ballsy/boisterous and the experience scales with the music while I thought the Onyx errored on the side of being too conservative. The Onyx sounded awfully polite with most of the music playing from deep in the sound stage. The Onyx always had this sense of immense headroom even through passages that were close to clipping. I recall Sonus Faber speakers leaving a similar impression on me -- they don't take much risk.

Nov 19, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #692 of 1,272
I’m so glad you mentioned this. I heard this ‘squeak’ with my R2R-11 when switching from PCM to certain DSDs. First time I heard it I thought my headphones had blown! Unfortunately this ‘bug’ is still there when switching to certain DSDs with the R-28, even though the DSD noise is gone in the R-28. I always set volume to zero or very low when switching to DSD now, especially with speakers. This has never been acknowledged before, let alone fixed. I don’t believe AGD does much if any testing with DSD unfortunately, else they surely would have picked up these issues.
For R1 version Kingwa say
The default in the unit is V3S version, you should update to V3A version
For R2R1 version
The R2R 1 no update yet , it need later around 2-3 weeks
What is your DAC and what firmware (when did the update) use?

Nov 19, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #693 of 1,272
For R1 version Kingwa say
The default in the unit is V3S version, you should update to V3A version
For R2R1 version
The R2R 1 no update yet , it need later around 2-3 weeks
What is your DAC and what firmware (when did the update) use?

Thanks for posting that! I have the R-1 with the same "issue". I assumed it might never get fixed. I will try the V3A firmware. I had incorrectly assumed that the only difference was Accurate vs. Smooth, so I did not try it yet. If it fixes the "screech" w/o taking taking away too much of the smoothness I love, then it's a tradeoff I can live with.

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #694 of 1,272
No one want to update firmware?
Version 2005be support dsd_native for linux!

Attachments

• IMG_20181121_094117.jpg
    IMG_20181121_094117.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2018-11-21-09-39-20-777_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-11-21-09-39-20-777_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 0
Nov 22, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #696 of 1,272
No one want to update firmware?
Version 2005be support dsd_native for linux!
I guess that R2R 11 already has the new firmware.
Is there a way to check what firmware the Amanero is using and how it is set?
Kingwa have not provided any Amanero firmware in AGD web site. I wonder whether I can revert to the original, case the upgrade does not work.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #697 of 1,272
I guess that R2R 11 already has the new firmware.
Is there a way to check what firmware the Amanero is using and how it is set?
Kingwa have not provided any Amanero firmware in AGD web site. I wonder whether I can revert to the original, case the upgrade does not work.
No, this dac is not have dsd firmware native support on linix by default.

Nov 24, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #702 of 1,272
Hi, I'm new to this forum and recently purchased a R2R 1.

I'm really interested to the Amanero firmware upgrade: I use Audiolinux with HQPlayer + a Linux base NAA and can only stream DSD via DoP right now.

@norrest, I presume from your post that you did succeed in the upgrade. Which firmware did you install? 2005be or 1099c? Did you hear any alteration of sound quality with PCM playback? Did DSD improve?

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #703 of 1,272
Hi, I'm new to this forum and recently purchased a R2R 1.

I'm really interested to the Amanero firmware upgrade: I use Audiolinux with HQPlayer + a Linux base NAA and can only stream DSD via DoP right now.

@norrest, I presume from your post that you did succeed in the upgrade. Which firmware did you install? 2005be or 1099c? Did you hear any alteration of sound quality with PCM playback? Did DSD improve?
I believe Norrest installed the 1099c. I tried 1099c and 2005be on Windows. 1099c woked then I tried 2005be. This later did not work so I reverted to 1099c. All seemed to work fine, then I tried Volumio with my Raspberry Pi 3B+. It was able to play DSD256. Curiously, it played DSD256 even with playback options set to DoP instead of DSD Direct. I tried DSD Direct but initially it did not work. It was noisy or not played back DSD at all. I then returned to DoP. DSD was playing fine again. Then I tried DSD Direct again with Volume Mixer disabled. I believe I forgot to disable the mixer the first time I tried DSD Direct. Now it is working fine. It will play DSD256 (real DSD, not converted to PCM as it was doing with the original firmware) for both DoP and DSD Direct settings.

Concerning the sound, I noticed no change. At least it did not degrade. DSD sounds great with the exception of the noise in the very soft parts, depending of the recording. This is a known issue that Kingwa seems to be overlooking.

Anyone intending to load the Amanero 1099c firmware, when instructed to unplug and then plug the USB cable, power off and power on the DAC instead. Audio-gd powers the Amanero module by the internal power supply instead of using the 5V line from the computer, so unplugging and then plugging again the USB cable will not reset the module.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #705 of 1,272
Thanks Elder.

So to reset amanero card and upgrade it you must have the Dac powered on, right?
In the instructions, when it says to PLUG or REPLUG the USB cable, power on the DAC. When it says to UNPLUG the USB cable, power off the DAC.
You can keep the USB cable plugged all the time.
To erase the flash memory, use a thin solid wire (not stranded) that can be inserted in the indicated holes (a piece of wire from an Ethernet cable will do). Strip only 2mm of the wire insulation, so you can handle the wire without touching the conductor.
Insert the wire jumper with the DAC powered off (could be done with the DAC on, but I think it is safer with it off). Turn it on with the wire inserted, wait for one second or two and remove the wire while still powered on.
Power off and power on again. Windows will install the necessary driver (make sure you have internet access so the driver can be downloaded automatically). Wait for the installation to be completed.
You will see a new serial port in the device manager.
Run the Config Tool and follow the instructions, but using the DAC's power switch instead of removing and inserting the USB cable.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back