Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Jan 30, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #91 of 1,286
Hi Vil-Mo,
I think I'm one of the R2R-2 owners you mention in your thread.
Just in case, I will say again that I only have compared 3 DACs (not to many):

1- The one the Marantz PM-7005 stereo amplifier has incorporated (a very decent one).

2- The SMSL M8 DAC, wich has very good reviews as a budget DAC and I liked it very much before I had the R2R-2. :)

3- Mi actual DAC, the Audio-GD R2R-2.

Some observations:

1- Even with out burning time, the R2R-2 was far more detailed and it had much more analog sound and more accurate tone on the instruments.

2- I think, and that´s only my opinion, that you need a very nice system to be able to notice differences between very good DACs and, if you listen through speakers (not only headphones), I believe you seriously need to consider Digital Audio Correction to get the very best of your system. I did that and the change in detail and micro dynamics (with the same DAC-Amp-Speakers set up) was big. I never thought it possible. I'm now listening to my library again because its like a new one!

One question, I see in your system that you have the Chord Mojo. How does it compares with your Audio-GD R2R-11? I mean with the same system of course.

Regards,

Pedro

PS: my system is Audio-GD DAC + Yaqin MC-13S amp with upgraded valves + Q Acoustics Concept 500 and I use Tidal with Dirac Audio Correction.
Hi PLGA,
Thank you tor your thoughts and observations regarding the R2R2!

My experience with speakers (Dynaudio Focus 110 fed by Rega Brio R) is similar to yours that it is indeed more difficult to notice differences between DACs than with headphones. I am definitely tempted to try Digital Room Correction but need to find a decent microphone in order to get good results. It is for sure on my list.

To me the R2R 11 has similar qualiities: more analog sound and more accurate tone on the instruments compared to Marantz HD-DAC1. The comparisons are using the EMU Teak.
The HD-DAC1 probably had a little bit more width but less depth of the image. It had more pronounced heights - hence more air. Sightly more nuanced/refined, maybe (can this be better amp section but inferior DAC section of the HD-DAC1?) but ...
... but music from the R2R 11 is more true to life performances and to real instruments and voices to my ears and brain. More believable and immersive. Especially when not A/B-ing.
R2R 11 makes the HD-DAC1 sound a little synthetic in comparison (a term used by someone in this forum that i agree with).

Now how much of an improvement the R2R 2 is over the R2R 11 - this is the $500 question? Actually more like $1000 when you factor in a good HP amp.

Regarding the comparison with Mojo, the Mojo is a bit more detailed, bit not by much. A bit more precise with placement of instruments and with separation. Top end is a slightly more pronounced with the Teak
For timbre reproduction, realism and musicality I lean to R2R 11. Bass is more tasty with R2R 11. Both are very rythmic.
When I factor in the form factor and better suitability for desktop use - both for speaker and headphone use - I am keeping the R2R 11. Mojo is already announced for sale.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #92 of 1,286
my Audio gd DAm1 single ended dac(fitted in div 3 chassis) become new power : 4x lt3042>2x lt3045>2x lt1963>2x lt1084>AGD Rcore transformer>AC Choke
Beat my Balanced 12rail ultracap dac.

Jan 31, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #93 of 1,286
Hi PLGA,
Thank you tor your thoughts and observations regarding the R2R2!

My experience with speakers (Dynaudio Focus 110 fed by Rega Brio R) is similar to yours that it is indeed more difficult to notice differences between DACs than with headphones. I am definitely tempted to try Digital Room Correction but need to find a decent microphone in order to get good results. It is for sure on my list.

To me the R2R 11 has similar qualiities: more analog sound and more accurate tone on the instruments compared to Marantz HD-DAC1. The comparisons are using the EMU Teak.
The HD-DAC1 probably had a little bit more width but less depth of the image. It had more pronounced heights - hence more air. Sightly more nuanced/refined, maybe (can this be better amp section but inferior DAC section of the HD-DAC1?) but ...
... but music from the R2R 11 is more true to life performances and to real instruments and voices to my ears and brain. More believable and immersive. Especially when not A/B-ing.
R2R 11 makes the HD-DAC1 sound a little synthetic in comparison (a term used by someone in this forum that i agree with).

Now how much of an improvement the R2R 2 is over the R2R 11 - this is the $500 question? Actually more like $1000 when you factor in a good HP amp.

Regarding the comparison with Mojo, the Mojo is a bit more detailed, bit not by much. A bit more precise with placement of instruments and with separation. Top end is a slightly more pronounced with the Teak
For timbre reproduction, realism and musicality I lean to R2R 11. Bass is more tasty with R2R 11. Both are very rythmic.
When I factor in the form factor and better suitability for desktop use - both for speaker and headphone use - I am keeping the R2R 11. Mojo is already announced for sale.

Hi Vilmo
If you ever decide to do Digital Room Correction (DRC), regardless the sofware, there's a good and unexpensive USB microphone you should consider, the Umik-1: https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

On the other hand, I haven´t tried the Audio-Gd R2R-11 DAC, but I can say for sure that the R2R-2 DAC shows "A LOT" of details in the music, its overwhelming. I guess you would find most of the differences between them on that field and may be also on micro dynamics. But it's like you said, its a USD 1.000 answer.

If you decide to continue with the upgrades, I would strongly suggest to try DRC because I'm sure it will affect the sound quality and to try it (for a month at least) is not too expensive, only about USD 110 for the USB Mic shippment included.

It's fair to also say that at the same time I did DRC I also upgraded the pre amp valves and I think both (I'm not sure wich one did it more) change the sound a LOT!! I have now so much more detail and better micro dynamics on my music that its like a whole new system.

Well. Good luck and if you do any changes or upgrades, please share with us the results!

PLGA

Feb 4, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #94 of 1,286
How do the Audio-gd R2R modules compare to the ES9038 when talking about sound signature? I am not sure which I should go for, as I have found it difficult to find anything concrete about the differences.
If anyone with experiences with both could chime in, I would appreciate it.

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #95 of 1,286
However, I've problems (low level background noise) with DSD sources (could be due to the laptop, Foobar setup or R2R 1). I don't have much DSD music, thus I'm not bothered by it.
Hi, just joined this thread since I got my R2R-11 last week and as a result, probably selling everything else bar my Woo.

While that should tell you what I think about the R2R-11, it’s not without its quirks. The mention of low level background noise on certain DSDs caught my eye, as it’s the first time I’ve seen this mentioned on Head-Fi and I can confirm it’s very real.

In fact my local agent and Kingwa are working on a solution for it, which should hopefully be available soon as a firmware update (if the feedback I’m getting from them is reliable). We’ve basically narrowed down the issue to the Amanero interface, and to my knowledge this is not the first instance (or first product) where the Amanero interface resulted in some or other noise issues.

It is very isolated though, and only really discernible in quiet parts of some specific DSDs (like Amber Rubarth’s brilliant Sessions from the 17th Ward). The intro to ‘Hold On’ in DSD128 is all but ruined by radio-like scratching noises in the R2R-11, which don’t exist in the PCM version or when you convert DSD to PCM before playback.

So it’s very much a DSD issue. Will feedback here if and when it’s resolved, but something to keep in mind for AGD DSD playback with R2R devices.

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #96 of 1,286
I'm interested in the audio-gd R2r-1 dac can any one in this thread tell me where I can purchase one in the US. I don't see even an ebay store for that company, thanks..

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #97 of 1,286
@adbolt - The process is listed here:

http://www.audio-gd.com/Shop-EN.htm

My explanation would be email "audio-gd@vip.163.com" what you want to buy, they will clarify through email and then send you an order summary email. You pay through Paypal and then they ship.

It is different from the way anyone else does it but after you buy something from them once it is very easy. Also, Audio-GD has been very responsive to any questions I have prior to ordering.

Mar 2, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #101 of 1,286
very cool I was wondering about that hopefully I have that dac soon..enjoy

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #103 of 1,286
How big are the differences with the jumpers? I'd assume it's pretty subtle, but it's hard for me to understand what changes.

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #104 of 1,286
I'm very seriously considering an R2R-1 to go with my NFB-1AMP. The only real thing that gives me pause is that I do a decent amount of gaming. Thus, I'm wondering if the R2R-1 has any output delay? I've also considered the Gumby, but read that it has a noticeable delay, meaning it's sadly no good for a chunk of what I'll use it for.

If anyone with an R2R-1 is able to report back, I'd greatly appreciate it. Here's a handy lil' video on youtube you can use to test any latency issues: Handy Video

Users who are viewing this thread

Back