Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Feb 22, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #1,051 of 1,787
I love Queen, Classic rock, and Death Metal like this: . I love listening through tube amps as well.

@KillerQ. No directions, unless you reveal what kind of music you are listening to. Term 'musical' means different things with R2R DAC, as sound is musical on a different scale. It is why R2R owners don't talk about musicality in general, there is a lot. If there is to much, oversampling modes will reduce it bringing more artificial clarity. The amp of R-28 is a part of Audio GD house of sound: neutral, slightly on the warm scale. It is due to the non-feedback design focusing on accuracy during fast transients. You have good amps to compare with, waiting for your feedback :)

Feb 22, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #1,052 of 1,787
I love Queen, Classic rock, and Death Metal like this: .... I love listening through tube amps as well.
Classic rock sounds good. For old recording in general my thumbs are up. New recordings are mastered for a consumer market to sound equally well on cheap equipment (which is Delta-Sigma). It is where revenue comes from... Queen, superb vocals, you need to hear guitar plunks, true harmonics, much better defined. :)

Dead Metal, I don't know. I was introduced to the progressive rock by King Crimson many years ago, still love it. I gone through The Doors, Animals, Pink Floyd, Queen, Abba, but missed Punk and Heavy Metal, now listening more to jazz and some classic :)

Feb 22, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #1,053 of 1,787
Great!! I can’t wait to try it. You have good musical taste!

Classic rock sounds good. For old recording in general my thumbs are up. New recordings are mastered for a consumer market to sound equally well on cheap equipment (which is Delta-Sigma). It is where revenue comes from... Queen, superb vocals, you need to hear guitar plunks, true harmonics, much better defined. :)

Dead Metal, I don't know. I was introduced to the progressive rock by King Crimson many years ago, still love it. I gone through The Doors, Animals, Pink Floyd, Queen, Abba, but missed Punk and Heavy Metal, now listening more to jazz and some classic :)

Feb 25, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #1,054 of 1,787
Just received my R28 today!! I can’t wait to get it fired up.

Question, the jumper settings on the website are extremely cryptic to my, and the charts don’t even line up (unless I’m reading it incorrectly). Is there a better, more clear explanation of the jumper settings and modes anywhere?

Here’s the link to the info I’m TRYING to follow. http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R28/R28EN_Use.htm

Thanks!!

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #1,055 of 1,787
Just received my R28 today!! I can’t wait to get it fired up.

Question, the jumper settings on th....

Thanks!!

Mainly two choices: OverSampling and No OverSampling (NOS)

Once you have decided above, you go to Table one or two.

Only two switches you have to decide, S7 & S6. Depending on which combination, which column, you decide the mode or OS.

Try it and see which one you like. However, wait till you have at least 100 hrs burn in time.

Enjoy!

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #1,056 of 1,787
Thanks!

That makes more sense now. So, it looks like S6 and S7 for OS multiplier modes within OS mode

And S4 and S5 for the 4 tone settings when in NOS mode.

9C37CDE6-7978-4D98-AEF1-CFE9B2696FB4.jpeg

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #1,058 of 1,787
Thanks! I’ll leave it as stock for now. I just wanted to get familiar with it. Looks like OS 8x is how it comes stock, I think - LOL.

I’m excited just to plug in and start listening.

Actually, I know the firmware hasn’t been updated since this unit was purchased back in 2018 - I wonder if it would be wise to update the firmware right away.... it came with the USB blaster flashing tool.

Attachments

• 2C46293B-71A8-46E1-AD0E-FFA863870B30.jpeg
    2C46293B-71A8-46E1-AD0E-FFA863870B30.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #1,059 of 1,787
Looks like an "older" revision of the R28, bc the newer ones got the front panel selector without the need to open the unit.

So you don't need the burn-in period, i'd say. (just for your brain ^^)

Anyway, have fun and great listening. :)

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #1,060 of 1,787

Users who are viewing this thread

Back