Audio-GD Panther power amp anyone?
Nov 28, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #181 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ran The Panther with the Compass in Preamp mode.
The Panther is a great power amplifier to feed passive speakers and not active speakers.
I don't know what would be the result in coupling the Panther with active (powered) speakers. My guess is that you will seriously damage your speakers.
Compass could be a great PreAmp for your active speakers which feed themselves the power required so there is no need for a power amp.

For specifications: Compass & Panther

I know that. I meant just using the Panther as a headphone amp, not for my speakers. Right now I have my powered speakers running just out my DAC.

So you just use the Panther as a power amp for passive speakers and don't use it with your headphones? I just wondered if you left the Panther out of that equation and only used it for speakers. If it's not an upgrade I can use with passive speakers and headphones I'll just look into something else.

Nov 28, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #182 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by slytown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that. I meant just using the Panther as a headphone amp, not for my speakers. Right now I have my powered speakers running just out my DAC.

So you just use the Panther as a power amp for passive speakers and don't use it with your headphones? I just wondered if you left the Panther out of that equation and only used it for speakers. If it's not an upgrade I can use with passive speakers and headphones I'll just look into something else.

Did you take a look at the link I gave you?
If not, I recommend that you take a look and that will answer all your questions.
Panther is a Power amplifier and not a headphone amplifier. It has 1 pair or RCA inputs and 1 pair of stereo speaker outputs. It is not an integrated amplifier so it does not have a volume controler. You need to use it with a Pre-amp in order to control the volume (Compass). It has no headphone jack also.

Just have a look at the pictures. You don,t have to read the whole thing.
Also you are in the power amp section and not the headphone amp section.

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #183 of 187
Update: I bought a Xiangsheng H-80BII amplifier (in China) which has a voltage switch in the back, but it does not work in North America. I was disappointed to find this out after returning to Canada.

Until Xiangsheng sends me a step up/down transformer or helps rectify the situation, I will not recommend Xiangsheng products to anyone.
mad.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #185 of 187
Has anyone posted review comments for the Audio-gd Panther? Just curious, as I've not been able to find much. I've heard it pairs well with the Compass, but was also wondering about synergies with passive speakers (i.e., does it work well with certain bookshelf speakers).

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #186 of 187
No review has been written about the Panther. In fact, very few people own it.
I have the Panther and I use it with the PSB B25 speakers.
I really enjoy this amp because it is very powerful and it can drive almost any power hungry bookself speakers IMO.
I previously owned the Little Dot T_150 and I find the Panther to be a better performer overall. It is a tad sweeter and bassier and offers a strong detailed sound.
The Panther is to be used only with a PreAmp like the Compass or others and a pair of passive speakers.
I also found that upgrading my BJC LC-1 interconnects to something better with this amp improved the SQ by a fair margin.
Finally, I like its looks and its name.
tongue.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #187 of 187

Users who are viewing this thread

Back