Audio GD NOS-1704
Sep 7, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 22
I'm interested in 1704 dac, so I ask Kingwa something about it and differences between nos1704 and ref5.32
The NOS1704 is have the total different design.
It is NOS design, applied the diamond difference output design.
The Reference 5.32 have the oversampling design and ACSS output design.
In sound the Reference 5.32 is most neutral.
Te NOS1704 is more musical, warmer, smoother .
They are total different sound flavors so easy to choice.
Kingwa

so I ask him if there is differences even if we put ref5.32 in nos mode

.. The NOS DAC is for perform the smooth sound, but the Reference 5.32 sound is design to the neutral sound.
So the Reference 5.32 even setting , or modify without DSP have NOS direct, the sound still not as smooth and warm as the NOS1704...
If you like the NOS sound, I am consider the NOS1704 is better.
Kingwa

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 22
Intriguing, especially because I think Kingwa has actually said in the past that he's not a big fan of NOS.

But what's this about the PCM1704UK supply running out? Yes, I know they've become ridiculously expensive, but as far as I can judge from TIs website, they're still being produced. Does anyone have any more information on this?

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #5 of 22
I just posted about 192k support in the Master 7 thread, but it should go here:

Ok, I found out what is going on. The PCM1704UK doesn't use I2S, so the WM8805 wont work. It has to be a CS8416 or another receiver that has the correct output. Kingwa said he doesn't have any CS8416 or other chips there but is going to get some in, so 192k will be possible. This will likely be something that will need an excellent transport (USB to S/PDIF converter or similar) for best results.

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 22
I ended up getting one, with Kingwa kindly rigging up a CS8416 DIR for me for 192k support. I've hooked it up to the WA7. Very easy-listening. Ultimate micro-detail is lost and the soundstage isn't as wide (as I had expected -- it is not my M7) but it is very hard to care with the sound. Even using the optical input (which was a pleasant surprise). It isn't even burned-in yet either.

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 22
biggrin.gif
sounds good. Looking forward to your updates on the sound after more hours playing with it. Maybe a comparison with Master 7  in a NOS mode 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #8 of 22
I have just ordered one and found the following facts (from e-mail communication with A-gd):

1. Input 1 (BNC) is fixed to DIR9001 (24/96) - no change possible.
2. For other inputs, you can choose DIR9001 (24/96) or CS8416 (24/192). And it is possible to order both SPDIF modules and exchange them without soldering (I have ordered both to compare the sound after the burn-in period).
3. I have asked AGD to replace the RCA Input2 to BNC and it is possible.
> Finally, my unit will have two BNC inputs. One with DIR9001 (In1) and one with CS4816 (In2). Plus one standard RCA and 2x optical. It is more than I need but I can easily compare DIR9001 and CS8416 spdif modules for BNC and optical inputs. But I do not promise that I will post my findings any time soon :)

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #9 of 22
I ended up getting one, with Kingwa kindly rigging up a CS8416 DIR for me for 192k support. I've hooked it up to the WA7. Very easy-listening. Ultimate micro-detail is lost and the soundstage isn't as wide (as I had expected -- it is not my M7) but it is very hard to care with the sound. Even using the optical input (which was a pleasant surprise). It isn't even burned-in yet either.

So a very smooth and relaxed presentation? How are the dynamics? I am guessing it must be a bit soft feeling going along with the relaxed presentation. How about warmth? It is a SA series/diamond differential unit so I am imagining some of the special SA type "warmth"

Sorry for the very basic questions, but I have no idea what the "NOS" sound must be like. The description on Kingwa's site says only only order if you know the NOS characteristics. ..just trying to get a handle on what that may be.

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #10 of 22
So a very smooth and relaxed presentation? How are the dynamics? I am guessing it must be a bit soft feeling going along with the relaxed presentation. How about warmth? It is a SA series/diamond differential unit so I am imagining some of the special SA type "warmth"

Sorry for the very basic questions, but I have no idea what the "NOS" sound must be like. The description on Kingwa's site says only only order if you know the NOS characteristics. ..just trying to get a handle on what that may be.

I would appreciate any additional feedback folks may have on this one. I am trying to decide between the NOS-1704 and the SA-2. Wish I could hear them both but that ain't gonna happen. I had pretty much decided on the SA-2; figured I would jump on a 1704 dac while we still can. Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of info on either of them. I imagine an upgraded Ref-9 would be a fantastic piece in my system for years to come but this new NOS-1704 is intriguing to me. 

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #11 of 22
Have you already found the following discussion? :

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/55544-audio-gd-nos-1704/

It seems that the NOS1704 is the former SA-1 without the DSP-1 and with several modifications.

Sep 26, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #12 of 22
  Have you already found the following discussion? :

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/55544-audio-gd-nos-1704/

It seems that the NOS1704 is the former SA-1 without the DSP-1 and with several modifications.

Thanks for the link. There are quite a few Audio-GD users over there. Could be a good source of info.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #13 of 22
Sep 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #14 of 22
Pete, thanks for the info on the stereo forum!

Quote:

+1. My NOS1704 just arrived. It sounds very nice to my ears from the beginning. Long time ago, I tried NOS settings on my A-Gd Ref One and was not very happy with it. But I like the sound of the NOS1704 DAC and I am curious in what direction it will evolve in the burn-it process.

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #15 of 22

+1. My NOS1704 just arrived. It sounds very nice to my ears from the beginning. Long time ago, I tried NOS settings on my A-Gd Ref One and was not very happy with it. But I like the sound of the NOS1704 DAC and I am curious in what direction it will evolve in the burn-it process.

There was a NOS unit in my old Hm 601 and I enjyoed it! I do find the PCM dac in the hm 801 is better than the NOS was [ofc these are portable sources comapred to king wa's masterfull desktops]

Still... I wonder if I'd want a warm Dac with a tube? Might just stick with the lean clean Ess Sabre Dac for use with a tube. Either way... I'd LOVE to own a PCM or Nos Dac... as that sound is great but right now it doesn't seem likely for me 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back