Audio GD NFB6
Apr 20, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #16 of 127

Quote:
The N3 does not seem to have a "pre" input ...
So you would have 2 volume controls.

May be you can bypass the volume control of the N3 (that needs advanced skills) ?

unless there is a pre amp nput or you are able to remove jumpers I do not believe that can be done,

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #17 of 127

Quote:
The N3 does not seem to have a "pre" input ...
So you would have 2 volume controls.

May be you can bypass the volume control of the N3 (that needs advanced skills) ?

Sorry for being a noob,
The N3 has RCA input, but how can you determine if its a "pre" input or not?
And which speaker amp you recommend to match with NFB6?

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #19 of 127

Quote:
You could skip the NFB6 and go for the C-500 but that's a chunk more money. This is one of their best values IMO. 250 watts, class A via ACSS and fully balanced, dual mono.

question is using the NFB6 as a preamp not a amplifier.
tongue.gif
He want to drive his amp

Apr 20, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #21 of 127

Quote:

The N3 has RCA input, but how can you determine if its a "pre" input or not?

It is not a "pre" input.
It can certainly became a pre input if you bypass the volume control, but you need some electronic skills ... open the amp, unsolder the volume pot and direct wire the right points.

Kingwa, the designer at audio-gd told me that he will release in a few months a small amp to go with the NFB-6. (same size same price range)

Did you try some class T amps ? ( TA2020 , ...)

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #22 of 127

Originally Posted by Frank I /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the amp showed today and hooked up and  is being burned in.

How did yours arrive so quickly? Mine was shipped the same day as yours according to Kingwa's shipment list and is still sitting in Hong Kong. What a bummer.

Ah well, I'll have it soon enough I suppose. Still waiting on shipment notification for the NFB-17 too.

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #23 of 127

Quote:

How did yours arrive so quickly? Mine was shipped the same day as yours according to Kingwa's shipment list and is still sitting in Hong Kong. What a bummer.

Ah well, I'll have it soon enough I suppose. Still waiting on shipment notification for the NFB-17 too.

I been talking with Kingwa since January to review the amp. I think this was the first one shipped.

Apr 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #24 of 127
Interesting. What made you choose the NFB-17?
I'm looking for someting to use with a cable modem and panasonic blu-ray player that will feed my Audiolab 8200a from 17 years ago.
Kingwa says just to go for the 3.1, but I noticed the NFB-17 also has 2 optical and coax inputs. $100 is quite a lot extra for this, but I don't see another way to keep both plugged in at the same time.

I can also see the need for more optical inputs, such as for internet radio, but none for the coax inputs as I don;t have anything that has that on the output.

Apr 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #25 of 127
Interesting. What made you choose the NFB-17?
I'm looking for someting to use with a cable modem and panasonic blu-ray player that will feed my Audiolab 8200a from 17 years ago.
Kingwa says just to go for the 3.1, but I noticed the NFB-17 also has 2 optical and coax inputs. $100 is quite a lot extra for this, but I don't see another way to keep both plugged in at the same time.

I can also see the need for more optical inputs, such as for internet radio, but none for the coax inputs as I don;t have anything that has that on the output.

The Nfb17 is an attractive Dac for its price (balanced, lots of inputs). The only other cheap balanced dac I could think of at this price is the Cambridge dacmagic. From my own conversation with Kingwa, I choose the Nfb17 since it uses a better transformer (R-core vs the o-core in nfb3.1). Also I may get a Nfb6 and/or woo 22 in the future, so balance is definitely a plus.

If you just need more inputs, and have no need for balance, you could ask Kingwa to add additional inputs IIRC. He did some customizations in the past (additional headphone out, inputs, outputs ..etc); but the customized unit will take 1 more weeks to build because of the additional casework I think.

Apr 21, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #26 of 127
My NFB-6 took 3 and a half days from HongKong to Germany.

So far it's better than an Essence STX, G93, V-Can. I like it's details, it doesn't sharpen treble or anything, it gives the bass foundation every current/power it needs. Testing with Ultrasone Pro 2900 now at high gain. I really like it so far but it has to wait for Signature Pro and maybe even a HE-500 (testwise).

Apr 22, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #27 of 127
Can anyone give a comparison between C-2.2 and NFB6? Would it be worth paying extra for NFB6 even if I don't have balanced headphones yet? I plan on using the amp with Musical Fidelity M1-DAC, which does have a balanced output.  Would I gain anything by using a balanced output from the DAC to amp when using normal unbalanced headphones?

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #28 of 127

Quote:
Can anyone give a comparison between C-2.2 and NFB6? Would it be worth paying extra for NFB6 even if I don't have balanced headphones yet? I plan on using the amp with Musical Fidelity M1-DAC, which does have a balanced output.  Would I gain anything by using a balanced output from the DAC to amp when using normal unbalanced headphones?

Have been looking at this at the audio-gd website and for $30.00 they also sell a kit to convert your headphones to balanced.

Looking forward to reading some listenning impressions of the NFB 6 as well as when paired with the NFB 17.2 DAC. Is there a general sound-signiture one would expect to hear from these new devices, based on other similarly spec'd Audio-gd equipment?

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #29 of 127
The NFB6 is hard and grainy out of the box so I am in the process if burning unit in for 300 hrs as Kingwa  suggested it seems better today than a couple days ago. I will comment when I have the proper hours on this and do the review. I need to be both patient and fair and thats why I will need the 300 hrs on this amp.

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #30 of 127

Quote:
The NFB6 is hard and grainy out of the box so I am in the process if burning unit in for 300 hrs as Kingwa  suggested it seems better today than a couple days ago. I will comment when I have the proper hours on this and do the review. I need to be both patient and fair and thats why I will need the 300 hrs on this amp.

subscribed to this thread- cant wait for your review- this NFB6 looks like one of those classic bang for the buck devices. 

I've always loved the look of Audio-GD gear but never pulled the trigger but this looks hard to resist

Users who are viewing this thread

Back