Audio GD NFB6
Oct 30, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #91 of 127
Thanks, makes sense to me.  This has helped a lot!

From this conversation and further reading, I am getting this pull towards upgrading my main preamp as well, with added headphone capability for the future.  The one thing I would consider to be the weakest link in my main 2 channel system is my preamp (Audio Experience).  I have a Space Tech Labs HPA-150 150 wpc hybrid power amp as my main power amp, along with PMC AB1 speakers.  Both of those are keepers IMO.

All this to say I may buy small now to fit my budget and current headphone situation, and then move some stuff to order a Master 8 later on....

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #92 of 127
Hello guys,

if anybody is interested in an absolutely mint condition NFB 6. I've posted one in the for sale thread. Maybe interesting for EU/UK buyers because there are no import taxes to pay.

Cheers

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #93 of 127
Listening with the NFB-6 and new Q701 cans. Very blissful. With no music playing there is dead silence from nothing up to max level, not that I could ever get there with music playing without reducing the cans to a smoking ruin... 
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #102 of 127
Quote:
Nice boxers.

Thanks.  That photo was from 2004 when I joined.... it might be time to update the photo. Wish I still had 'em, they are long gone.....we got a brindle this year.

Starting to look at DAC/Preamp/Headphone combo's now for more bang for my buck....downloaded some 24/192 music and discovered that my Stello can only handle 24/96 on the SPDIF input (from my MF VLink 192). 

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #103 of 127
For a while I had my NFB-6 connected both balanced and unbalanced for comparison purposes using single-ended RCA's in input #2 and balanced XLR's in input #1.  This didn't last long because of the obviously vastly superior sound of the balanced connects.  There's a review of the NFB-6 by Frank I. on here somewhere that also mentions a big drop off in sound quality with single-ended connects vs. balanced.

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #104 of 127
Quote:
For a while I had my NFB-6 connected both balanced and unbalanced for comparison purposes using single-ended RCA's in input #2 and balanced XLR's in input #1.  This didn't last long because of the obviously vastly superior sound of the balanced connects.  There's a review of the NFB-6 by Frank I. on here somewhere that also mentions a big drop off in sound quality with single-ended connects vs. balanced.

I hear that and I hope to go balanced eventually. In fact I would like to use the ACSS input which by all accounts is significantly superior to balanced, and the balanced headphone output. At the moment I am enjoying my music very much single ended so I am not in any rush. How Audio GD can make something as sophisticated as the NFB-6 for the price they are asking is a miracle to me.

Frank made a valuable contribution but it is only the opinion of one person. Your ears and your experience is what matters. I am not going to rush out and buy balanced gear just because of Frank. I have a big smile on my face, listening to some Bach cantatas through my Q701s right now. The voices... 
k701smile.gif

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #105 of 127
Hey, I'm totally with you on the Bach cantatas.  You're someone who really knows how to optimally utilize your gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back