Audio GD NFB6 Headphone Amplifier Review
Jun 8, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #16 of 28
I don't see how I missed this review. Well done Frank!. And most of all, thanks for being honest. And I hope Kingwa takes it the right way, and look at how he can improve things instead of taking it personal. I know some manufacturers refuse to send review samples to some headfi reviewers because they were honest.

P.S. to Audio-gd.
Just a suggestion. But maybe with your lower price gear, you should look at laying of all the features and concentrating more on sound(that is what we care about the most). The days of the compass being one of the very few good sounding budget components are long gone. There are several low price components out there that sounds great.

Jun 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #17 of 28
Good, honest review, thanks. Its nice to read from people who have experience with higher end stuff and don't get too excited about the unit they are reviewing and giving the product 5 stars out of the box.

Jun 9, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:
I don't see how I missed this review. Well done Frank!. And most of all, thanks for being honest. And I hope Kingwa takes it the right way, and look at how he can improve things instead of taking it personal. I know some manufacturers refuse to send review samples to some headfi reviewers because they were honest.

P.S. to Audio-gd.
Just a suggestion. But maybe with your lower price gear, you should look at laying of all the features and concentrating more on sound(that is what we care about the most). The days of the compass being one of the very few good sounding budget components are long gone. There are several low price components out there that sounds great.

Thanks moodryn I reallly appreciate your opinion.  I have spoke with Kingwa through emails and I forwarded him the review and he thanked me for doing it. I also suggested he readjust the high gain because it sounds so much better on 0 db tha the high option.

Jun 9, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:
Good, honest review, thanks. Its nice to read from people who have experience with higher end stuff and don't get too excited about the unit they are reviewing and giving the product 5 stars out of the box.

Thanks the hardest thing to do is review products that are priced less but this is an important category and more important price range for most coming in to the hobby Users will need a balanced source to get the most out of the NFB6 as single ended it wont sound nearly as good.

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:
  P.S. to Audio-gd.

I think if you check the NFB6 page Kingwa has made some changes to the amp and from what i have read smoother and warmer signature and now can be ordered with different gain than the original amp and also if you want to do away with the acc audio gd input you can have another rca inpput free of charge, it is nice to know Kingwa does listen to what users give him feedback about. Bravo to Kingwa and audio gd.

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:
That's good to know he is listening to feedback, and I applaud him for doing so. Wish we could say that about every manufacturer though.

LOL , I agree and he does build products remarkable inexpensive and with a battleship build. Pretty solid construction and now it is being improved upon an he is also asking for people to send him their reviews of his products a sign he wants to get better a good thing for all of us.

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #23 of 28
Thanks for the review Frank.

On a related subject, I own both the DT-770 and  DT-990 Premium 600 Ohm and I am considering going for the C-2.2 to partner with these. I've recently purchased an NFB-6 but have found it deeply disappointing with the Beyers out of the Unbalanced Jack, not having enough power to drive them to satisfying levels, even in High gain mode! I suspect that it may be faulty somehow and have returned it to the seller. If it happens not to be faulty, I will have to give serious consideration to the C-2.2.
Are there any other Head-fiers using the C-2.2 with 600 Ohm Beyers? Have you found it to have plenty of Headroom driving them? I'm also curious as to whether anybody has used either the C-2.1 or 2.2 and compared them with the new NFB-6? 
Anyone's input would be much appreciated.

Leonel

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:
hey Frank, thanks for the nice review!

I've got my NFB6 and NFB17 combo for a week now and have been enjoying it a lot.
The NFB6 is definately a large step up from my Schiit Asgard, even using the 1/4 unbalanced output.

My Denon D7000 (unbalanced) really enjoyed the upgrade, and that considering it is a very easy to drive headphone.
Also, it drives my He500 much fuller than the Asgard (balanced out on the nfb, though).

Even though I haven't tried the Lyr+Bifrost combo, that's probably the closest competitor in terms of price, I feel I've significnatly improved my set.
Details are much more present, mids are forward and more embodied (especially on the HE500) and bass hits harder.

Szanella,

Pease let us know more of your impressions on the NFB-17. Have you compared it with anything else. perhaps another, older Audio-GD dac? I am rather interested in this model and would like to read more about it, perhaps a Review? 
wink_face.gif

Cheers,
Leonel

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:
Thanks for the review Frank.

On a related subject, I own both the DT-770 and  DT-990 Premium 600 Ohm and I am considering going for the C-2.2 to partner with these. I've recently purchased an NFB-6 but have found it deeply disappointing with the Beyers out of the Unbalanced Jack, not having enough power to drive them to satisfying levels, even in High gain mode! I suspect that it may be faulty somehow and have returned it to the seller. If it happens not to be faulty, I will have to give serious consideration to the C-2.2.
Are there any other Head-fiers using the C-2.2 with 600 Ohm Beyers? Have you found it to have plenty of Headroom driving them? I'm also curious as to whether anybody has used either the C-2.1 or 2.2 and compared them with the new NFB-6? 
Anyone's input would be much appreciated.

Leonel

The C2.2 has plenty of headroom for beyer (I got the 990/600 and 770/250 ohm tho). Mine is around 10 O'clock @ high gain for RBCD; and around 2-3 o'clock for hi-rez stuff. Was planning on upgrade to the 6 till I read frank's review here =p

Jun 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:
The C2.2 has plenty of headroom for beyer (I got the 990/600 and 770/250 ohm tho). Mine is around 10 O'clock @ high gain for RBCD; and around 2-3 o'clock for hi-rez stuff. Was planning on upgrade to the 6 till I read frank's review here =p

Thanks a lot Khaine. If my NFB-6 turns out not to be faulty, I think I will go for the c-2.2. 

Cheers,

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #27 of 28
I've been reading up on the NFB-10SE and NFB-6 lately, and spotted this on the Audio-GD NFB-6 page:

4th June :
Based on some users advice, we adjust the NFB-6 have a little warmer and smoother sound flavor .

I'm guessing feedback from head-fi members might have something to do with this :) Hopefully it would make the NFB-6 a stronger contender in its price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back