Audio-gd NFB-5, 9 switchable filters
Sep 17, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #136 of 177
Sep 17, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #137 of 177
When I had HD-600s, I found the original Compass, which is the predecessor to the Fun (and NFB-5) was good, but not great with them. I felt the next grade up of amp (the C2C for me at the time, but now would probably be the C2.1 or NFB-10) was significantly better. I'd be inclined to get a suitable good tube amp and use the NFB-5 as a DAC for it, though that's considering the music I like.

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #139 of 177

Quote:
What? DIR9001 is for spdif (optical/coax). How does it make usb sound warmer lol?

he says coax/optical is more neutral with the dir9001 vs USB implementation.

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #141 of 177
I use the optic and the bass doesn't sound to prominent compared to the usb.  Is that strange?  I know that chip is suppose to affect the optic but the usb seems a bit warmer.  
OH!  Thanks .Sup.  Ya I found that strange. But I prefer do the optic out.  Ya sorry olo1n I didn't make myself clear as to what I was talking about.  It was late last night and I think I just babbled....lol 
deadhorse.gif
Quote:
What? DIR9001 is for spdif (optical/coax). How does it make usb sound warmer lol?

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #142 of 177

After some more testing. and receiving my HD555's back..

I found even less of a difference from my ALC889 to the NFB-5. Probably like 5% if i was to put a number to it.

Seems to be actually fuller bass on ALC889, and everything is smoother / (blurrier?).. 
but detail doesn't seem to be there.. 
The Bass is not as accurate and tight and the highs are not as accurate and detailed.. 
The soundstage is definately define-able now. On the ALC889 i cannot determine where the instruments are at all, but with the NFB-5, its really the first device i own where i could feel the instruments in various locations. but it is still hard to determine.. i think this may be the HD555's holding that back rather than the amp.
but again i'm straining to hear the differences.

After some blind testing with a friend:
He put a difference at 10% noticing the soundstage and detail and picked the NFB-5 as the winner.
I put the total change at 5%..

I'm probably heading towards the 75hr mark now.

One thing i do really like though is the dead silent noise floor. even on iems.

I still can't hear any difference between the various flavors, however after randomly clicking it while listening to music, i settled on number 6. can't say why i did to be perfectly honest.
My mate is getting a HD650, so i'll do some comparisons when i get the chance to borrow it.

Side note: 75ohm coax cable is better than your generic RCA cable.. the high treble sibilance in some songs is smoother with the 75ohm cable. (Norah Jones - Dont know why)
Good quality coax vs optical.. the same.

So my conclusions are:
  1. If you have HD555's or less i probably wouldn't bother getting an dac/amp unless you're noticing a seriously noisy, noise floor.
  2. I do have noise-floor free sound from PS3 now. 
  3. I needed to satisfy my curiosity.
  4. 5% is still better sound.. but hehe.. not $400USD worth of better sound tho :)
  5. My ears must suck hahah..

I'll posts updates as i hear them.

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #143 of 177
quasio: Nice write-up. I think you first summary point is important -- good headphones have to come first. I re-visited my original headphones with Audio-gd's Sparrow versus the headphone output of my MacBook Pro and came to much the same conclusion. In the end, I think going from headphones like yours to better headphones as well as a good DAC and amp that matches well with them (as well as your musical tastes) will give the most significant improvement.

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #144 of 177
Anyone knows is the rca line out variable at stock or do I need to change it? Anyone knows how, manual doesnt help?

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #145 of 177
There's a switch on the front of the unit for you to change it to whichever you want.

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #146 of 177
mine was variable, its also on the website.

"[size=x-small]The NFB-5 has one group Line out for dedicated DAC output, [/size][size=x-small]In default its output level setting is at variable . But owners can set it to [/size][size=x-small]can select between variable and fixed or[/size][size=x-small] output variable line level only . See the photos, Push into the jumper for Fixed output (DAC output mode[/size]"
Quote:
Anyone knows is the rca line out variable at stock or do I need to change it? Anyone knows how, manual doesnt help?

its very easy. You have to open the case. the actual jumper socket is right at the front, next to the toroid. you may want to swop the opamp if you got the hdam modules too.

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #147 of 177

Quote:

The  info is at the bottom of the NFB-5 page. Basically, put a jumper on the pins in the white socket to set the output to fixed.

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #148 of 177

Quote:
quasio: Nice write-up. I think you first summary point is important -- good headphones have to come first. I re-visited my original headphones with Audio-gd's Sparrow versus the headphone output of my MacBook Pro and came to much the same conclusion. In the end, I think going from headphones like yours to better headphones as well as a good DAC and amp that matches well with them (as well as your musical tastes) will give the most significant improvement.

Absolutely

X2.

Peete.

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #149 of 177
last week I swopped the coupling caps on my opa moon with orange phillips mkt caps(these meant to be very good coupling caps) and heard no difference.. I am not really sure if I used the russian k42s I would hear any difference either..

I think the opa and the amp has around 150 hours on them. Its just an estimate and I know audiogd stuff meant to get better and open up soon

I still think the dac section is fantastic. it is very musical and smooth. also sometimes I just use the inbuilt amp for the convenience. anyway soon I will be building a gamma2. its gonna be good to see how two compare.

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #150 of 177
Use ceramics and tantalums instead.  The tantalum capacitors are polar, so the + side of one cap must face pin 8 and the - to ground, on a second cap the - side faces pin 4 and the + to ground.  The ground terminals are towards the back.  Ceramics are non-polar, so you add them whichever way.  You can also use these caps with killer IC opamps like OPA602BP, which will put those "discrete" opamps to shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back