Audio-gd NFB-5, 9 switchable filters
Jul 16, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 177
Cool concept.

Peete.

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 177
Interesting that the circuit board picture says "Audio-gd Fun (2011)".

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 177

Quote:
Flavor (in terms of sound preference), is a term used a lot in the US, no? But not the most elegant agreed.

Of course it is, but you would expect to see it in the product description/marketing rather than device itself.

IMHO, "Filter" would be more appropriate than "Flavor", and "Source" or "Input" would be more appropriate than "Selector". No comment on product description page. :)

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 177

Quote:
Of course it is, but you would expect to see it in the product description/marketing rather than device itself.

IMHO, "Filter" would be more appropriate than "Flavor", and "Source" or "Input" would be more appropriate than "Selector". No comment on product description page. :)

I agree. But it's par for the course with AGD. Lots of bang for the buck but not lots of flash. I wish he would consult someone about the english used on their site and on their devices. It needs an overhaul.

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 177

Quote:
And they seem to have tried to photoshop it out in this pic:

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB5/NFB56.JPG

What makes anyone think they don't use the same circuitry as the very similar (if not identical) Fun? Many of their components are shared, they aren't reinventing it every time I can't imagine.

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #14 of 177
It reminds me of what the guy at pacific valve told me. When i called and asked about one of the audio-gd products he told me that all of these new products are just reboxed versions of old gear. He said they take one product, put it in a new case, and call it something else. At the time I just thought he was saying that out of spite and thought there might be some issues between the two companies. But as time goes by, his statements look more true by the minute.

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #15 of 177
Yes and no. The basic building blocks of Kingwa's designs are the same from what I can see, but if you look at the Fun and the NFB-5 specs, you'll see the latter has a better S/N ratio and the TOTL DACs have what appear to be measurable improvements over time. He has, since the Compass, primarily improved the digital section including the DAC (AD1852 vs. dual WM8741), input receiver, USB receiver and (I hope in this) the receiver clock.  I'd take a bet that the headphone amp built in wont be much different, if at all, from the Fun, Sparrow or NFB-12's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back