Audio-GD NFB-3 (2014) ES9018 DAC
Oct 31, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #196 of 207
Understood, thank you! May I ask what DAC(s) are you using these days? Reason I ask, is in case my AGD is returned/sold, I'd need to get a replacement, either a side-step (hopefully without the AGD issues) or an improvement, at more or less the same order of magnitude in cost (USD 500-750).  Thanks in advance to anyone's suggestions.

Im using master7 as main dac
Have tried many dacs and found the nfb28 is really impressive for its price,especially if you can afford better coonverter. But the built in usb is already very good so i dont think you can find something much better in $500 bracket
I have bought quite many products from agd over past 2 years (about 8 products) and have had only 1 issue,but they replaced it so still happy :)

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #197 of 207
Thanks for your inputs, xxxfbsxxx. It is unfortunate that I have not run with that luck so far in my first attempt with Audio Gd. I did like its sound very much when it was working, and I still need to replace the Firmware chip to see if that solves the issues (my job is augmented this time of the year). It's funny I can't even install the drivers in my new laptop nor get it to recognize the device ... Anyway, I was thinking maybe giving a try to the Yulong D200 if this last recourse fails, although I'm not a headphone listener, so I really just need the DAC, but I may some day get into headphones and the Yulong may come in handy in that dual role.

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #198 of 207
  Thanks for your inputs, xxxfbsxxx. It is unfortunate that I have not run with that luck so far in my first attempt with Audio Gd. I did like its sound very much when it was working, and I still need to replace the Firmware chip to see if that solves the issues (my job is augmented this time of the year). It's funny I can't even install the drivers in my new laptop nor get it to recognize the device ... Anyway, I was thinking maybe giving a try to the Yulong D200 if this last recourse fails, although I'm not a headphone listener, so I really just need the DAC, but I may some day get into headphones and the Yulong may come in handy in that dual role.

yeah, i know your feel, i was very angry when i received the broken piece, fortunately the sound quality is really worth it :))

about the firmware and driver issues, it surprised me, because i have used the usb32 from the firmware ver 1, they did have many trouble/compatible issues with their early firmware (from 1-5) where you need to turn on and connect dac to install or un-install, the latter have been very stable and good working state. I have tried all firm/driver on various machines without any miss so hopefully your replaced part shoul dnot have any problem :)

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #199 of 207
Well, it's official ... I replaced the Firmware chip and the laptop was able to id the device, then I followed the usual procedure to install the Firmware and everything was going fine until the last stage where it is supposed to wait for the device to get back to normal ... It never did! Exactly as last time, so now my second Firmware chip went too.

I'm waiting for Kingwa's reply to this and probably will ship it back very soon, since having him send me additional chips will not fix the issue: It appears as if there is something in my unit which is killing the chip during the flashing process.

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #200 of 207
Very unfortunate. Hope this is an isolated case because sending back to China cost a fortune.

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #201 of 207
  Well, it's official ... I replaced the Firmware chip and the laptop was able to id the device, then I followed the usual procedure to install the Firmware and everything was going fine until the last stage where it is supposed to wait for the device to get back to normal ... It never did! Exactly as last time, so now my second Firmware chip went too.

I'm waiting for Kingwa's reply to this and probably will ship it back very soon, since having him send me additional chips will not fix the issue: It appears as if there is something in my unit which is killing the chip during the flashing process.

its weird since this is the first time i hear this trouble @__@
anw, i guess the best solution is asking kingwa to send you a new usb chip with preloaded firmware on it and stick with current driver. 
if you want to upgrade firmware in the future try to do it on another computer?

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #202 of 207

The funny thing is, I tried both my laptops with the first chip, with the same result, although probably the first attempt (can't remember which one I tried first now), may have ruined the chip already so the second attempt would not count (at the time I did not know about the Firmware chip being so miserably vulnerable).

I agree, if Kingwa chooses the right Firmware/drivers for my particular unit and can incorporate that Firmware in the chip I can certailny solve the issue installing the right drivers after receiving and replacing that new chip. We'll see what he has to say.

I still suspect my unit has something that kills that chip, but who knows. My old laptop has never given me USB problems and the new one is pristine and Works fine with every other USB task I demand from it. Weird!

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #203 of 207

Got Word from Kingwa. Apparently, the second Firmware chip was not supposed to be flashed, but this would have retained the old Firmware, which is of lessser sonic quality. I've asked him again for replacement chips, as he did not even addressed that issue in his short reply. We'll see.

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #204 of 207

Received the new Firmware chip, ver. 2. Installed the latest driver, and this thing is amazing! It sounds better than with the older version, tangibly better. I believe in giving credit where credit's due. Mr. Kingwa has been very supportive and the firmware chip issues were my mistake, as I did not know how to flash them properly, ending up flashing them one time too many. Anyway, I wanted to reassure anybody with interest in this device, it sounds amazing, especially with the new firmware and drivers. Thanks.

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #205 of 207
Glad it has been sorted out. Enjoy.

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #206 of 207
Hi,

Regardind USB receiver, does any one of you as tried dsf files (DSD from SACD media) ? DoP flac files ?
I plan to use this DAC on various GNU/Linux computers (NAS, plug computers) with the famous mpd server.

Feedback appreciated.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #207 of 207
Hi all, I'm currently planning to buy my first full-size rig and audio-gd has peaked my interest. I will be getting a project ember in the future so my question is this, what made you guys buy nfb-3 and not nfb-11 amp/dac combo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back