Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Oct 25, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #1,336 of 1,577
Quote:
And it 'completely changed' in 5 hours ?
rolleyes.gif

My experience (perceived experience, to clarify) with my NFB-3 is that it sounded pretty much the same the first time I powered it on last spring as it has each subsequent time since.  I am "a believer" in headphone and loudspeaker break-in because they are electromechanical transducers, and believe in electronics break-in to a lesser degree.  Tube gear obviously changes sonic character over the lifetime of the component tubes, and capacitors need a chance to "form" the first time current is applied to them, but the Audio-gd equipment is advertised to have 100 hours of burn-in time on the bench in China prior to shipment, so solid-state components (no tube gear in Kingwa's design portfoilio) should have settled in to their electronic characterstics before being sent to the buyer.  I know my ears gradually acclimate themselves to anything new in my component chain, but once the NFB-3 replaced the Maverick Audio D1 DAC/preamp that preceded it, I noticed no further change other than the big boost in clarity, detail (particularly at low frequencies) and the lower noise floor that it immediately provided.  Adding a KICAS headphone amp and then an Audio-gd Digital Interface each made for another major improvement in SQ, but the improvement I heard when I powered each one on for the first time is pretty much the way it still sounds today.

Wish I could say the same for my ears.  The system sounded soooooo good that I listened a little too long at what in retrospect was probably a little too loud a level (though it did not seem that way at the time) and I developed some pretty persistent tinnitus from my euphonic-sounding HD650s and had to back off to low-volume speaker-only listening for awhile.  Even though the ringing was still persistent, not having transducers compressing the air in direct proximity to my ears made it seem a little more tolerable.  You'd think I'd know better since I wrote the entry for "decibel" in the Head-Fi Glossary of Terms wiki:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/glossary-of-terms

Anyway, don't want to start a religous war over compnent break-in; it can be as divisive a topic as cables.

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #1,338 of 1,577
And what about brain burning ? :p , when i swtiched (Titanium HD --> F-A Sptifire MK² --> A GD NFB-2 at every step when i turned on the device for the first time i hear a clear improvement , but for me at least the firsts hearings will not show all the potential of an unite , i need some time to be acustomed to a new  sound , and only after some days and peraphs a bit more to discover full potential , cession after cession of listening , i discover some details that i didn't perceiv at first . peraphs it's just brain , peraphs it's burning components, i don't know :p

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #1,339 of 1,577
Quote:
And what about brain burning ? :p ...

... . peraphs it's just brain , peraphs it's burning components, i don't know :p

Audibly perceived component break-in in a multi-component equipment chain is pretty well-trod ground:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66458

It gets down to what you choose to believe, I guess, which is why it resembles a religous controversy in my previous example.  My system "sounds totally different" to me when I am mentally tired as it does when I am well-rested and have just eaten a good meal.  Is my system different?  I doubt it, but my internal perceptual apparatus certainly is.  Do I hear musical details I never noticed before?  Yep.  But then, sometimes if I am feeling poetic, I "see" things in a sunset when in fact it's just my portion of the planet rotating away from that star that's always been 93 million miles away one more time in the 20,016 times it has done so since I've been drawing breath.  I guess the bottom line is "your mileage may vary."  But when someone in another thread said that an aftermarket cable fabricator had told him that a cable needed 200 hours to "burn in" and reach its full sonic potential, I wanted to e-mail the Federal Trade Commission and file a consumer fraud complaint.  We could subpoena the electrons to testify in a deposition whether or not they were "warming up" to the cable.

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #1,342 of 1,577
Thats a bit normal, there is never a such thing as pitch perfect silence.  You might be hearing resonances in the walls and stuff since remember the ground is moving.  Large power transformers buzzing... insects ect ect.

The kind of noise I hear is dependent on where I am as well, but its not a ringing like tinnitus is.  I would call it the white noise of the world.

The volume of the noise I hear is also dependent on location.

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #1,343 of 1,577
Has anyone received an NFB-2 or NFB-3 from Audio-gd in the last two months? 

Mine arrived damaged so I sent it back for repair in August, but now it's two months later and they haven't sent it back to me and they aren't returning emails.

I'm wondering if it's just me or if this DAC is on hold for everyone.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #1,345 of 1,577

Quote:
Has anyone received an NFB-2 or NFB-3 from Audio-gd in the last two months? 

Mine arrived damaged so I sent it back for repair in August, but now it's two months later and they haven't sent it back to me and they aren't returning emails.

I'm wondering if it's just me or if this DAC is on hold for everyone.

this don't seams to be normal , something is wrong here ... have you tryed sending mails from another mail provider ? etc . 

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #1,346 of 1,577
Audio-GD has an e-mail "autoresponder" that instantly acknowledges receipt of all e-mail messages.  If you don't get an automatic response (and  about one out of every three or four e-mails I would send them wouldn't get that automatic reply), it is a very good bet that the message was never seen on their end.  No politics here, but the PRC does all sorts of "unusual" things with Internet filtration, and some e-mails probably end up in the "bit bucket" that way.  My advice is to re-send relentlessly until you know you have been heard.

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #1,347 of 1,577
Every time I've sent an email I've gotten the notification. I have an email chain with several messages back and forth regarding the matter. They just completely stopped responding to me earlier this month. I've even emailed King-wa directly with no response.

It's frustrating because I paid $500 back in July and haven't had a working DAC in that whole time. Now they have my money and the DAC and I don't know when I will see either again 
frown.gif

I guess I can keep emailing. I really don't know what other recourse I have.

Oct 29, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #1,349 of 1,577
I just found out that I have enough in my bank account to buy the amp and a DAC around Christmas time. :D Is the NFB 3.1 about the same as the 3 performance wise? I can't afford the jump to the 2, and with the music I listen to I doubt I'd notice the difference between the 2 and the 3.

Oct 29, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #1,350 of 1,577

Quote:

biggrin.gif
Is the NFB 3.1 about the same as the 3 performance wise? I can't afford the jump to the 2, and with the music I listen to I doubt I'd notice the difference between the 2 and the 3.

According to Kingwa, yes the 3.1 sounds the same as the 3, despite the changes in the PCB layout and a move to predominantly SMD components.

The 3/3.1 is sensational bang for buck. I love mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back