Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Mar 23, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #647 of 1,577
Just picked my NFB3 (DIR9001) up today as well. Coming from a Ibasso D10 Cobra as a DAC i noticed quite a difference instantly. I love this thing so far, sounds perfect imho.... great synergy with Pure Audio Kicas and MarkL D2000's. but again, way bigger than i expected lol it dwarfs the Kicas!

Mar 23, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #648 of 1,577

Quote:
Quote:
The HD650 is already warm, maybe you should get a more neutral to bright Dac.  I know the Nuforce HDP really has good synergy with the HD600/650 for those reasons (bright amp and dac).

I use HD650s, but I wouldn't try to pick any discrete DAC on the basis of how it "matches" or "compliments" a certain pair of headphones. That would depend much more on the specific amplifier (and pre-amp gain circuit) in question much more than a stand-alone DAC.

Standard disclaimers for expressions of opinion apply: IMHO, YMMV, Call your doctor for any ringing in your ears that lasts longer than four hours....

Good point, audio in general is YMMV. What amp do you use with your NFB-2 and HD650's? At this point I think it would be safe to assume I wouldn't notice a huge difference between he two amps since my other equip is quite mid range and not high end.

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #649 of 1,577

Good point, audio in general is YMMV. What amp do you use with your NFB-2 and HD650's? At this point I think it would be safe to assume I wouldn't notice a huge difference between he two amps since my other equip is quite mid range and not high end.

Well, I'm using my Maverick Audio A1 integrated amplifier now, but have my eye on an Audio-gd C-2.1. Your La figaro 332S should sound better than my Maverick A1 headphone output stage in terms of driving the HD650s. And I have the NFB-3, not the more-expensive NFB-2.

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #651 of 1,577
Hey Darren, nice setup.

I have a KICAS Caliente, and I'm saving up for a pair of LA2000 (mark mod & wood cups) and NFB-3 (WM8805 smoother chip?).

How would you briefly describe your setup? I find the KICAS Caliente very smooth with excellent transparency. Just for a better idea of what to expect.

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #652 of 1,577
Anyone? I'd appreciate if you could point me in the right direction

Well, as you've probably observed, Kingwa is constantly tinkering in pursuit of perfection, so there are a lot of different, yet similarly-derived, Audio-gd "gears." The NFB-2 and NFB-3 are evolved from the DAC-19 (still says that on the front and back panel of each one) and the C-2.1 (2011 edit) is descended from previous C2 designs. For people (like me) who have either an NFB-2 or 3, this is probably the most informative thread, though it doesn't directly deal with the NFB-2 and 3 or the C-2.1 -

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/483899/review-of-the-audio-gd-dac-19-dsp-c2-amp-the-acss-connection

What it does explain is the benefits of the "ACSS" connection between the two units, which is something that seems to baffle a lot of new Audio-gd customers. I used to sell Krell electronics (uber-expensive) in the 1980s, so I understand it pretty well, which is one of the main reasons I want to get a C-2.1 to hook up to my NFB-3 via ACSS. Someday. When the money is available. Of course, Hell may have frozen over by then, but ACSS end-to-end is cool.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #653 of 1,577
Just received my NFB-3, DI and some cables from Audio-GD today. Everything was very well packaged, and it only took DHL 4 days to deliver to me in NYC. The build quality is much better than I expected. If Kingwa can figure out a way to get rid of all the ugly screws on the top, i feel that his products would look 10x better. :) But who cares about looks? it's all about the sound, and the sound is just wow and WOW. I didn't expect a DAC to make such a difference, and it does. I will let it burn in for couple more days, and do some A/B with my old Headroom Micro Amp.

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #654 of 1,577

Quote:
Hey Darren, nice setup.

I have a KICAS Caliente, and I'm saving up for a pair of LA2000 (mark mod & wood cups) and NFB-3 (WM8805 smoother chip?).

How would you briefly describe your setup? I find the KICAS Caliente very smooth with excellent transparency. Just for a better idea of what to expect.

I have the DIR9001 chip in it as i wanted beter quality and had no use for 192khz. One thing i will note is the Caliente has a warmer sound and you may find that it causes somewhat overwhelming bass with the D2000's (or LA2000) which may require eq'ing. Thats why i went with the regular Kicas. I find the setup very transparent (too my ears anyway). The jump to the NFB-3 really made a large difference from my D10 as a DAC. More than i expected, Everything just seems so much more detailed instantly, and its not even burned in yet. I do not see myself upgrading the amp or DAC for a long time. I find myself noticing things in songs i know very well that i never noticed before.

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #656 of 1,577
Hey there, I'm new to Head-Fi and have pulled the trigger on a NFB-3 and Digital Interface. Unfortunately won't be delivered until early April, can't wait to hear them! Should be a great upgrade from my Essence STX

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #658 of 1,577

Quote:
Well, as you've probably observed, Kingwa is constantly tinkering in pursuit of perfection, so there are a lot of different, yet similarly-derived, Audio-gd "gears." The NFB-2 and NFB-3 are evolved from the DAC-19 (still says that on the front and back panel of each one) and the C-2.1 (2011 edit) is descended from previous C2 designs. For people (like me) who have either an NFB-2 or 3, this is probably the most informative thread, though it doesn't directly deal with the NFB-2 and 3 or the C-2.1 -

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/483899/review-of-the-audio-gd-dac-19-dsp-c2-amp-the-acss-connection

What it does explain is the benefits of the "ACSS" connection between the two units, which is something that seems to baffle a lot of new Audio-gd customers. I used to sell Krell electronics (uber-expensive) in the 1980s, so I understand it pretty well, which is one of the main reasons I want to get a C-2.1 to hook up to my NFB-3 via ACSS. Someday. When the money is available. Of course, Hell may have frozen over by then, but ACSS end-to-end is cool.

Thank you very much kind Sir

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #659 of 1,577
Finally sorted my groundloop problem now it's time to look into that C2.1 since i need a new preamp/headphone amp. The NFB-2 has quite a loud output, i'm hoping that C2.1 will fix it either through ACSS or RCA because of the way the volume works -80db gain to +13db gain. Already asked audio-gd but i got a cryptic response that it should work with RCA with the gain switch but i'd rather use ACSS.

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #660 of 1,577

Quote:
Kingwa said the NFB-3 is a better buy than the NFB-2, but with NFB-3 you are getting more expensive components.

nick77, be sure to try Kingwa's hotmail address as well. It's there in case audio-gd's normal customer service isn't working right. They've had a bad case of disappearing emails for the last half a year or so, but that is not to say they don't sometimes skip emails, or at least appear to do so.

Im happy to report after sending Kingwa a email directly that i have an EMS tracking number for my parts. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back