Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Mar 4, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #496 of 1,577
Yeah i think thats a smart thing to do, the fact that i need an spdif cable for my other system as well wouldn't make it a waste for my money in any case.
I asked Kingwa about replacing the connector myself and Edwin replied that it would void my warranty which is something i don't want to do just yet.

That apogee wide eye cable is looking pretty good and it isn't too expensive, not that that's a problem but i do want to hear the difference my money makes.

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #497 of 1,577
I just replaced the original WM spdif module with the DIR9001.  I noticed that it doesnt seem to go all the way in as far as pins are concerned but its as far down as I can take it with the screw.  On another note, the WM module had a bit of a poor soldering job done on it.  The capacitor hovering ocer the chip just snapped off.

The other joints look slightly more solid but I think they could do a better job. Especially by the connectors..  Though I have no problems with any of them~  It also looks like its really easy to mod a BNC connector into the chassis with the way the device makes connections.

Also wish they used stronger screws, these flimsy chinese screws shed their skin so easily.

My only real complaints though, none of the above has affected my enjoyment of the unit and I dont mind staying with the DIR9001 since I own the LCD-2's anyhow.

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #499 of 1,577

Quote:
I have a KICAS caliente and want to get a tube amp soon....

NFB3 or stello DA100?

Any comments or anecdotes...thank you.

Never listened to a DA100, but the NFB-3 goes well with solid state, tubes or tube hybrid amps.  It's a very clean sounding DAC and pairs well with various amps and phones.

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #500 of 1,577

Quote:
I just replaced the original WM spdif module with the DIR9001.  I noticed that it doesnt seem to go all the way in as far as pins are concerned but its as far down as I can take it with the screw.  On another note, the WM module had a bit of a poor soldering job done on it.  The capacitor hovering ocer the chip just snapped off.

The other joints look slightly more solid but I think they could do a better job. Especially by the connectors..  Though I have no problems with any of them~  It also looks like its really easy to mod a BNC connector into the chassis with the way the device makes connections.

Also wish they used stronger screws, these flimsy chinese screws shed their skin so easily.

My only real complaints though, none of the above has affected my enjoyment of the unit and I dont mind staying with the DIR9001 since I own the LCD-2's anyhow.

Can you please post your thoughts on any sonic differences between the two modules.

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #502 of 1,577

Quote:
Give me a few days to get my new amp in, on the same token let me try to re-solder that capacitor onto the WM chip so I can swap it.

Is the lead broken or is the cap broken itself (lead snapped off with nothing hanging out of the cap body ? ) If it's the latter it's better to replace the cap with a new one.

Post a pic of the part and the module where it came from if you have any doubts and we'll have a look.

Peete.

Mar 5, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #503 of 1,577
just the solder joints snapped, the leads are ok.

Quote:

Is the lead broken or is the cap broken itself (lead snapped off with nothing hanging out of the cap body ? ) If it's the latter it's better to replace the cap with a new one.

Post a pic of the part and the module where it came from if you have any doubts and we'll have a look.

Peete.

Mar 5, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #504 of 1,577

Quote:
just the solder joints snapped, the leads are ok.

That's an easy repair then provided you have enough lead left on the cap to bridge the gap between pads (once you've cleaned out the solder and broken lead from those solder holes). A ten minute job if you have the right basic tools.

Peete.

Mar 5, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #505 of 1,577
That is strange as mine looks completely different then you've described with no capacitor soldered to the chip's legs.  Both of my modules slid into place without any issues.

DIR9001 is the green one below:

Quote:

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #506 of 1,577
That's an easy repair then provided you have enough lead left on the cap to bridge the gap between pads (once you've cleaned out the solder and broken lead from those solder holes). A ten minute job if you have the right basic tools.

Peete.

Still, if anything can go wrong, it probably will. :devil_face:

That's why I had Edwin do this:

-----------------------------------

Dear attenuated 3db,
Yes,that is OK,if mu understand is correct,that your order now:
NFB-3(DIR9001)(100-120V)with power cable#2
1×WM8805 modlue for NFB-3
Shipping detail:
Xxxx Xxxxxxx
yyyyy zzzzzzzzzzzzz
qqqqq, OO 12345
USA

Telephone: 212-xxx-xxxx
Edwin

在2011-02-10 12:10:46,"zzzz yawnnnning" 写道:
Hi, Edwin:

The more I have thought about this, I think I really would like to have both modules (DIR9001 and WM8005), but would like to have the already-paid-for DIR9001 installed in my NFB-3 by Audio-gd before shipment. That would not require any PayPal refund, and if at some point in the future I got some 192khz music files and wanted to try them out, I would have the WM8005 module on hand that I could then put in myself. Would that be OK with you? Let me know.

Best wishes,

attenuated 3db

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #507 of 1,577
That black capacitor hovering over the chip is what popped off.  The module slid into place no issue, just looking at it from below it doesn't seem like the pins go fully into their sockets.

Quote:
That is strange as mine looks completely different then you've described with no capacitor soldered to the chip's legs.  Both of my modules slid into place without any issues.

DIR9001 is the green one below:

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #508 of 1,577
Hi,

I'm about to buy the NFB-3 with the DI today and they gave me both shipping quotes with DHL and EMS. I was wondering what your readers experiences was with either of the shipping providers.

Speed? Duties/Taxes?

I know DHL would be faster as they recommended it as well as cheaper shipping cost but i will definitely get nailed on taxes and duty charges plus since they always seem to deliver while i'm at work i'll have to go to their pick up warehouse which is in the middle of no where. if I use EMS it would take longer, it costs a bit more but i might save in duties and it will go via CanadaPost which is great!

any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #509 of 1,577
However, since some folks have not been able to get any new NFB-2/3 love due to the wait, and I started this thread last year, it's not fair that we are enjoying this all by ourseleves, as of late.

So, I just turned off my NFB-3-- C-2-- A5s.  It would not be cranked up again until the new orders have been delivered...lol

I just hope my NFB-3 actually gets to the USA before something potentially happens in China that is a lot more significant than Kingwa's supply (or apparent lack thereof) of skilled assembly workers to put the NFB-2/3s together, which might interfere with all A-gd shipments.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #510 of 1,577

Quote:
Quote:
Peete.

Still, if anything can go wrong, it probably will.
devil_face.gif

That's why I had Edwin do this:

Dear attenuated 3db,
Yes,that is OK,if mu understand is correct,that your order now:
NFB-3(DIR9001)(100-120V)with power cable#2
1×WM8805 modlue for NFB-3
Shipping detail:
Xxxx Xxxxxxx
yyyyy zzzzzzzzzzzzz
qqqqq, OO 12345
USA

Telephone: 212-xxx-xxxx
Edwin

在2011-02-10 12:10:46,"zzzz yawnnnning" 写道:
Hi, Edwin:

The more I have thought about this, I think I really would like to have both modules (DIR9001 and WM8005), but would like to have the already-paid-for DIR9001 installed in my NFB-3 by Audio-gd before shipment. That would not require any PayPal refund, and if at some point in the future I got some 192khz music files and wanted to try them out, I would have the WM8005 module on hand that I could then put in myself. Would that be OK with you? Let me know.

Best wishes,

attenuated 3db

hehe...yep I know ALL about Murphy's law.......for some reason power amps and I have a love/hate thing going on (throughout the years), I tend to cook amps from time to time (sigh). Onto the subject at hand...I wouldn't fret about ordering the Wolfson reciever...the DIR9001 is the best current off the shelf part going and it's highly likely you'll never swap it out. Every dac I consider worthy of interest (to me at least) has to have this reciever in it (or a custom job) otherwise I won't bother with it. The DIR9001 is simply the best going outside of expensive everything but the kitchen sink integrated types (the ES-9018 for example). The CS8212/8214/8216 series have jitter figures 4X that of the DIR9001. BB did something right with that chip design.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back