Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Feb 9, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #436 of 1,577
I am not a believer of reviewing eqipment on a song by song basis but on a song you have heard enough times you know exactly how it sounds and what to listen for.  James Taylor's "Carolina in my mind" and "Something in the way she moves" has excellent acoustic guitar and intimate vocals so that is what I am A/B'ing with.  I feel the same way that people have been commenting about with the sabre dac vs WM8741 with these modules.  DIR9001 is edgy, "all" details come through, it feels like I am actually there hearing finger movements and micro details.  WM8805 is rounded off, I can understand why Kingwa uses "smoother" in the description because that is exactly what it is.  Honestly... unless you need 192k, there is no reason to get the WM8805...  unless you dislike a more enunciated sound.

Quote:
mas,
You seemed to have just stepped to an extreme with the quote "you lose all details."  I am under the impression that the detail is there but less edgy or possibly clear at the worst.  You do have a unique advantage in having both modules at the ready and your phones seem to be pretty good.  How many other cd's, albums have you listened to?  Does the sound still seem less clear.  Care to give us a 1-10 scale for comparison on how the two receivers shake out maybe in different areas of sound (bass, treble, midrange, ambience, vocals, complex music).  Anyway, I appreciate you offering some needed insight on the dac and its receiver chips, but a little more thorough analysis would be a good thing.

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #437 of 1,577
Already waited a few weeks for Amp City to get the ones with WM8805 in.  If what you say is true, then I'll have to wait a few more weeks for them to reorder ones with DIR9001
floatsmile.png

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #440 of 1,577

Quote:
does the nfb-2 sound good through usb? or does it sound better through s/pdif?

Hi, 
I have NFB-3. IMO, using it with 16/44kHz is very good. However, higher sample rate suffered somehow via USB.
So if you got 96kHz hi-res music, I'd recommend you to acquire a decent digital interface for the music :).

Feb 15, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #441 of 1,577

Quote:
Hi, 
I have NFB-3. IMO, using it with 16/44kHz is very good. However, higher sample rate suffered somehow via USB.
So if you got 96kHz hi-res music, I'd recommend you to acquire a decent digital interface for the music :).

I have a good deal of 24/96 music and my NFB-3 sounds great from usb.  I also have the DI but use it with my FUN....

beerchug.gif

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #442 of 1,577
Just curious have you tried the DI with NFB-3? if you have, could you share your impression in terms of SQ improvement? thanks! My NFB-3 will not be shipped until the 25th. now i am thinking of adding  a DI, so i don't have to pay for the shipping next time. 

Quote:

I have a good deal of 24/96 music and my NFB-3 sounds great from usb.  I also have the DI but use it with my FUN....

beerchug.gif

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #443 of 1,577

Quote:
Just curious have you tried the DI with NFB-3? if you have, could you share your impression in terms of SQ improvement? thanks! My NFB-3 will not be shipped until the 25th. now i am thinking of adding  a DI, so i don't have to pay for the shipping next time. 

Hello blankdisc,

Yes indeed, I have tried the DI with the NFB-3, DAC-19DSP, FUN, as well as about five other dacs.  Great device, however I find it suits my FUN better than the NFB-3.  I have an older FUN without the tenor chip so it's a great match.  I also own about five usb to spdif converters and have to say the DI is a great investment that can be used over and over, no matter how much your gear changes.  I did the same and ordered it with other gear to save on shipping.

I have no complaints on A-GDs usb input.  I use them all frequently with great sound.

Cheers

beerchug.gif

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #444 of 1,577
Awesome! thanks! i just reminded myself this morning that i should stop spending any more money after purchased $1000 worth of gears. i guess it didn't work out very well. LOL....

Quote:
Hello blankdisc,

Yes indeed, I have tried the DI with the NFB-3, DAC-19DSP, FUN, as well as about five other dacs.  Great device, however I find it suits my FUN better than the NFB-3.  I have an older FUN without the tenor chip so it's a great match.  I also own about five usb to spdif converters and have to say the DI is a great investment that can be used over and over, no matter how much your gear changes.  I did the same and ordered it with other gear to save on shipping.

I have no complaints on A-GDs usb input.  I use them all frequently with great sound.

Cheers

beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #446 of 1,577
I am just wondering whether anyone knows whether it makes a difference when you connect DI to NFB-3 via coaxial BNC-to-RCA vs. coaxial RCA-RCA? because DI has both BNC and RCA output, but NFB-3 only takes RCA input.

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #447 of 1,577

Quote:
I am just wondering whether anyone knows whether it makes a difference when you connect DI to NFB-3 via coaxial BNC-to-RCA vs. coaxial RCA-RCA? because DI has both BNC and RCA output, but NFB-3 only takes RCA input.

You can request BNC~

I learned this from edwin later on when I asked him a question and he answered incorrectly but at the same time gave me an interesting fact :wink: 

I am using  this for now with my Haalide Bridge though, http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10430&cs_id=1043002&p_id=4127&seq=1&format=2

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #448 of 1,577
NICE! thanks for the tip.

Quote:
You can request BNC~

I learned this from edwin later on when I asked him a question and he answered incorrectly but at the same time gave me an interesting fact :wink: 

I am using  this for now with my Haalide Bridge though, http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10430&cs_id=1043002&p_id=4127&seq=1&format=2

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #449 of 1,577
Quote:

Golly, I wish I was a computer programmer in New York City and could afford a $450 transport - http://www.halidedesign.com/bridge/ - to go with my $450 NFB-2 DAC, while I wait for my $945 Audez'e LCD-2s and ponder whether to get a Schitt Lyr or Audio-GD C-2 SA (also 6 watts RMS into a 25-ohm load) to power them. 

I'm just kidding you, Ninjikirian; I appreciate all the help you've given me with my budget Maverick Audio gear, and continue to give to other Maverick owners here on Head-Fi.  At least you shop at Monoprice; I do too. 
jecklinsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back