Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Feb 23, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #1,472 of 1,577

That's what intrigues me about the higher end audio gd dacs. Most people report them to be very neutral/colorless without being analytical. I didn't realize that one can be neutral and enjoyable at the same time. My opinion of neutral is something along the line of monitoring equipment, flat and somewhat dry. That changes when I listen to Stax, very transparent and enjoyable. I was hoping that the higher end audio gd DACs share some of that characteristic.
Quote:

I found the DAC19 to be less coloured and more resolving of fine details. This is not to say that the NFB DACs are massively coloured though - I'm simply trying to tease-out the differences between the two. I always found my original NFB3 to be a massively enjoyable DAC to listen to. I just happen to be enjoying the DAC19 more in my system right now :)

How's the soundstage of nfb3 compared to the 12. I have almost no complaints about the nfb12 considering the price except the nfb12's soundstage is somewhat narrow =p.

Quote:
I had the NFB12 for a few weeks before getting the NFB3.1 and yes i say it's an improvement.

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #1,474 of 1,577
The NFB3.1 has a wider soundstage for sure compared to the NFB12. Instruments are more separated in the NFB3.1 as well. NFB3.1 also makes music more engaging whereas the NFB12 was held back a bit.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #1,475 of 1,577
thanks, i'm gonna look into getting the NFB 3.1

Quote:
The NFB3.1 has a wider soundstage for sure compared to the NFB12. Instruments are more separated in the NFB3.1 as well. NFB3.1 also makes music more engaging whereas the NFB12 was held back a bit.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #1,477 of 1,577
That promotion ends 1 month ago I think; I also got 5% of my Nfb12. I've read that sometimes people get 10% off if they order 2 things at the same time (not to mention reduced shipping cost) 

I can't email kingwa yet (empty wallet now). My plan is to order both nfb3.1 (replace coaxial RCA with BNC) and DI + PSU to save some money on shipping. 

Quote:
If you are going to get the NFB3.1 best if you email them for the cheapest price. I got 10% off my NFB3.1 when i also ordered NFB10SE for my bro.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #1,478 of 1,577
Great, I'll check it out with Kingwa. Khaine1711, what does the Digital Interface + PSU do? what is its main benefit?

Quote:
That promotion ends 1 month ago I think; I also got 5% of my Nfb12. I've read that sometimes people get 10% off if they order 2 things at the same time (not to mention reduced shipping cost) 

I can't email kingwa yet (empty wallet now). My plan is to order both nfb3.1 (replace coaxial RCA with BNC) and DI + PSU to save some money on shipping. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #1,479 of 1,577
It's a transport like the hiface or audiophileo 1 2 - the bridge between your computer and the dac. I couldn't justify using it with the nfb12 ($200 dac $200 transport
tongue.gif
); but the Nfb3 is worthy enough of a decent transport imo.

You can read various thread here to see people mention many "improvements" transport can bring: bigger soundstage, more resolving, enhancement on stuff and stuff. I don't have much experience with said transports; however upon trying various input on my Nfb12; I'm convinced that I need one (the optical out on my mainboard murders the soundstage; usb sounds a bit "flat", coaxial sound best, adding a bit of warmth to the sound, they're small differences but quite noticeable). I'm excited to try what improvements a dedicated transport can bring.
Quote:
Great, I'll check it out with Kingwa. Khaine1711, what does the Digital Interface + PSU do? what is its main benefit?

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #1,480 of 1,577
yeah I emailed Kingwa about the transport, he didn't even recommend me getting the transport, said it wouldn't make much difference. Recommended me to get the NFB- 3.1 so with your combo of 3.1 and DI+Psu, should be quite good.

Quote:
It's a transport like the hiface or audiophileo 1 2 - the bridge between your computer and the dac. I couldn't justify using it with the nfb12 ($200 dac $200 transport
tongue.gif
); but the Nfb3 is worthy enough of a decent transport imo.

You can read various thread here to see people mention many "improvements" transport can bring: bigger soundstage, more resolving, enhancement on stuff and stuff. I don't have much experience with said transports; however upon trying various input on my Nfb12; I'm convinced that I need one (the optical out on my mainboard murders the soundstage; usb sounds a bit "flat", coaxial sound best, adding a bit of warmth to the sound, they're small differences but quite noticeable). I'm excited to try what improvements a dedicated transport can bring.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #1,484 of 1,577

Hey guys, I am in the market for a new dac and am considering going with something from Audio-gd. This is for a 2 channel speaker system. How would a Nfb-3.1 compare to some of the more mainstream dacs such as the Musical Fidelity V-DAC, Cambridge Audio DacMagic or even something more expensive like the Benchmark Dac-1?

I listen to a lot of classic rock and country.i like the highs to be very clear and distinct. I like it best when the songs I listen to are very clear and revealing. Not too concerned with bass, but, the mids and highs need to be crystal clear.

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #1,485 of 1,577
yeah any reviews on the NFB 3.1 for studio monitors? quite interested in the dedicated DAC, currently using the NFB-12

Quote:
Hey guys, I am in the market for a new dac and am considering going with something from Audio-gd. This is for a 2 channel speaker system. How would a Nfb-3.1 compare to some of the more mainstream dacs such as the Musical Fidelity V-DAC, Cambridge Audio DacMagic or even something more expensive like the Benchmark Dac-1?
I listen to a lot of classic rock and country.i like the highs to be very clear and distinct. I like it best when the songs I listen to are very clear and revealing. Not too concerned with bass, but, the mids and highs need to be crystal clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back