Audio-GD NFB-15.32 Delivery & Impression Thread
Nov 12, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #77 of 961
Nope I don't have any usb noise issue.

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #78 of 961
OK cool, thanks for the response.

Just someone over in the z forums had brought up the matter of jitter using optical. Most of the reading I've done suggests with modern DACs its inaudible pretty much. Just wanted to see if there is any basis for this possible issue still nowadays.

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #79 of 961
I can only tell a tad when using optical, But when I using Coaxial I can't tell.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #80 of 961
How bad is "a tad" when using optical.... anything to worry about gen? I've done a search and can't seem to find any problems using optical.

Are you using a good quality optical cable? I saw this quote:

The inherent jitter in optical cable is high and good optical cable actually reduces that (though not as much as what I would desire it to be). Coaxial cables are known to display a wider variance in sonic signature across different cables compared to toslink cable. If I compare a cheap toslink against a cheap coaxial, even if they are of the same brand, I may just conclude that toslink is better. Of course, when it comes to good quality coax cable, even the 1 grand toslink and USB cable cannot match it.

I also read that the source has to be good to lessen the effects. Hopefully when your TXCO's arrive you could please tell us if it helps. Thank Gen
smile.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #81 of 961
Not really, because you may not even notice it at all be problem free.Optical does sound different to me in compare to using the USB input, The only real reason why I use optical is because of the DGX I using for it game functions, Other wise I would keep usb input connected. The first thing I notice is the highs is not as  clear like they was when I had the unit connected thru USB, or even Coax.   But it could just me but my ears usually does pick up on changes to the sound easy.

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #82 of 961
Typically we'd all be using USB for music.. after all, all you've got to do is flick a switch on the DAC and open up the Windows sound CP to change the default device. Games and movies then > use optical. Sounds fair enough.

There is a difference in the content transferred over USB and SPDIF: USB sends data to the DAC in a "raw" form and lets the DAC control timing, while SPDIF carries data "pre-packaged" by the onboard clock.

You learn something new everyday. So basically this'll be a tiny drawback with any good DAC using optical. So a clean source, decent optical cable and a good DAC with good jitter reducing components will alleviate these problems, but only to a degree. Doesn't sound like a big difference at all compared to USB.

This is the theory - in practice if you use reasonably good, short cables and don't live under a powerline, you'll never have these issues.

HT: franmon83.

I'm still going for this or the 11.32 (the Sabre is meant to have jitter reduction built into the chip - no idea how much it helps). Anyways - thanks Genclaymore.

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #83 of 961
The reason why I wasn't using the usb input was my motherboard usb plugs some times act odd and cause annoying things to happen. So as soon i got the DGX I had stop using usb input.  I did ended up plugging the USB cable back into the unit.

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #84 of 961
I have received the 15.32 with the TCXO upgrade within 5 business days of ordering (shipped from Hong Kong to Texas). Setting up and installing USB drivers was no problem at all and everything works great (they have a very detailed guide in both text and video).

One thing to note is that Audio GD cannot install a voltage switch, you need to opt for 110V or 220V and then use a voltage transformer if you plan on using it in both USA and Europe for example. It's a little impractical and odd since I haven't had the need to use a voltage transformer in over a decade, but no big issue.

I think sound quality experience is subjective so I won't go much into that, but I am pleased with the sound after some (required) burn in. I've used the filters, but cannot tell any difference in the sound whatsoever when playing 320kbit mp3s.

The amp has good power as I'm using dt 990 250 Ohm Pro on low gain, no need to go for high gain unless you want your ears to bleed. I'm hopeful that the HE 500 will sound pretty good off them too.

One practical thing that I like very much about it is the Headphone/DAC out switch on the front. With a press of a button I can switch between Headphone output (DAC+AMP) or just DAC output to my Audioengine A2s.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the purchase and see myself using this unit for a long time.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #85 of 961
Oh man more good reviews for this little guy. and such a good price. Obviously being manufactured in hong Kong helps. I'm sure if it was american built, wed be paying at least $100 more for same parts.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #86 of 961
Probably more than $100. Then there's the labour costs and taxes and cost of all the regulations (transferred to the us - the purchasers).

5 days is pretty damned good cidiano - did you use EMS or DHL? I hear that although a bit more expensive, DHL is the most desirable method. 

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #87 of 961
  I have received the 15.32 with the TCXO upgrade within 5 business days of ordering (shipped from Hong Kong to Texas). Setting up and installing USB drivers was no problem at all and everything works great (they have a very detailed guide in both text and video).

One thing to note is that Audio GD cannot install a voltage switch, you need to opt for 110V or 220V and then use a voltage transformer if you plan on using it in both USA and Europe for example. It's a little impractical and odd since I haven't had the need to use a voltage transformer in over a decade, but no big issue.

I think sound quality experience is subjective so I won't go much into that, but I am pleased with the sound after some (required) burn in. I've used the filters, but cannot tell any difference in the sound whatsoever when playing 320kbit mp3s.

The amp has good power as I'm using dt 990 250 Ohm Pro on low gain, no need to go for high gain unless you want your ears to bleed. I'm hopeful that the HE 500 will sound pretty good off them too.

One practical thing that I like very much about it is the Headphone/DAC out switch on the front. With a press of a button I can switch between Headphone output (DAC+AMP) or just DAC output to my Audioengine A2s.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the purchase and see myself using this unit for a long time.

For me before I gotten the TCXO upgrade chip, it was easy to tell the differences between the different digital filters, Which why I used 4-3 over the default, as well not liking 8-3.  But after I bought the TCXO upgrade chip and install it, IT was much harder to tell unless I listen to a song that had more notes in it or house/trance.

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #89 of 961
  Hi,
Do you find its better sound with the TCXO chip,perhaps now its more resloution so the difference between setting seems less.
Cheers
Steve

In fact I did, I like it more with the better tcxo chip installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back