Audio-GD NFB-15.32 Delivery & Impression Thread
Aug 4, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #826 of 961
I think it can work, but why would you do that?
My NFB15 powers the LCD2 without breaking sweat. Maybe you would be better off with just a dac instead of the NFB15, if you dont want to use it as an amp

+1

If you don't ever intend to use the pre-amp/headphone amp part of the NFB15, might as well get a stand alone DAC.

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #827 of 961
+1

If you don't ever intend to use the pre-amp/headphone amp part of the NFB15, might as well get a stand alone DAC.

I agree with this in theory.  In practice, I am not aware of a standalone dual Wolfson DAC in the price range.  The NFB-15 is such a good value because the DAC can stand alone at that price AND it comes with a decent amp.  I figure that it's a good SS amp to have on the side for other headphones that won't work well on the high-impedance Crack.

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #828 of 961
  I think it can work, but why would you do that?
My NFB15 powers the LCD2 without breaking sweat. Maybe you would be better off with just a dac instead of the NFB15, if you dont want to use it as an amp

Sorry what I mean is I do want to use it as an amp. But since a lot of people praise the Bottlehead crack paired with HD6xx series eventually I want to get a Crack, not just because of the sound but also because I'd like to try a DIY tube amp. But I would still use the NFB-15 (or 11) as an amp for other headphones I have.

But the wolfson dac seems to output a warmer sound, therefore I would like to know if it will color the sound too much when paired with a tube amp. If it does color it too much then I'll go for a NFB-11.

Right now I am almost conviced of just getting the nfb-15, since it's cheaper, it will be discontinued so I have to hurry. And later I can just get a clear and neutral (sabre) DAC to pair with other amps and headphones.

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #829 of 961

I agree with this in theory.  In practice, I am not aware of a standalone dual Wolfson DAC in the price range.  The NFB-15 is such a good value because the DAC can stand alone at that price AND it comes with a decent amp.  I figure that it's a good SS amp to have on the side for other headphones that won't work well on the high-impedance Crack.

That's a good point about the wolson dual dac. I think tomorrow I'll order the NFB-15 unless someone makes a really good point in favor of the NFB-11 by then. And when I decide to get a Bottlehead crack I can also just find a good neutral (ES9018) DAC and get it as well. Besides I'm in need of a more musical setup to use while I write my master thesis and some papers. A NFB-15 + HD600 should work well I guess.

Thanks everyone for their valuable advices!

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #830 of 961
Yo, can I get true 5.1 surround sound with a optical cable going into this dac from an xbox 360, while the the RCA outputs (L+R) goes to my 5.1 capable speakers? Please help I need to know now!?!?.

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #832 of 961
  Yo, can I get true 5.1 surround sound with a optical cable going into this dac from an xbox 360, while the the RCA outputs (L+R) goes to my 5.1 capable speakers? Please help I need to know now!?!?.

I don't know of any headphone amps that also provide true 5.1.  You'll need an AVR for that.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #833 of 961

You can't get 5.1 sound out of a pair of headphones or a pair of speakers. It has to be converted to 2 channel using digital processing, and then it's no longer "true" 5.1 sound any more. You must have 5 speakers and a sub to get "true" surround sound (and no, a soundbar won't do it either).

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #835 of 961
is the only way to get one of these, is from china?

You could try to get a used one on the classifieds.  Soon that will be the only way to get one.  :frowning2:

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #837 of 961
Are they being discontinued?

If thats the case i wouldnt mind getting a new one. I have no problem ordering it from china. Just wondering if there is a easier way

Yep, they're being discontinued.

"Below products last for sale ,no successor .
NFB-15,NFB-10.33, Precision 1, Precision 2."

I believe there are resellers in other countries, but in the US, the easiest way is to order direct.

Aug 23, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #839 of 961
Have heard a lot from: NFB-10SE (10.33 predecessor), NFB-12 (NFB-15 predecessor), SA-1 (probably close to Dac-19), Master 9

Dac part marginally better from NFB-12, significantly worse from SA-1 
Amp part much better from NFB-12, significantly worse from Master 9

Overall very good, especially on balanced output

Aug 31, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #840 of 961
I'm temped to try a tube headphone amplifier and connect it to my NFB-15.32's RCA line-output.
Anyone know of a tube amp that makes a notice improvement over the NFB-15 solid state amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back