Audio-GD NFB-15.32 Delivery & Impression Thread
Feb 26, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #662 of 961

And also switched USB port. For some reason it did not work properly in one USB port.

I don't have the original USB cable, just some cheapie that I found around. That might be the culprit. Will report back tomorrow when I get the new Belkin cable. The previous owner (M-83 I guess) forgot to pack it in the package :)

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #663 of 961
  I don't have the original USB cable, just some cheapie that I found around. That might be the culprit. Will report back tomorrow when I get the new Belkin cable. The previous owner (M-83 I guess) forgot to pack it in the package :)

Windows said it could benefit from faster USB port. I changed it to USB3 port and it started working. Rest of my ports are 2.0. They should be fast enough but all of them are in use so maybe it's slowing the controller down.

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #667 of 961

Yeah I'm really sorry about that Lucian, as per our pvt thread I'll try sort that over the weekend. Glad you got it sorted out. A genuine mistake my end, I'm really embarrassed that I forgot to place the usb cable in the box!

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #668 of 961
  My Ember is plugged in and playing pleasant harmonics for me. 
L3000.gif

It is absolutely awesome, but let's not derail the tread further. 

Glad you're enjoying the ember, mine is still in customs!

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #669 of 961
Hi-res 24bit/192khz files for testing the USB link: http://www.naimlabel.com/musicstore-test-files.aspx at the bottom.

Select 24bit 192khz in speaker properties, then use foobar without any resampler. Turn foobar volume a bit down, it's fairly loud recording. If it plays ok the USB link is good :)

Unit heats a bit too much: A good tweak is going to your local electronics store and buy some rubber feet (they cost me 2E) to be put under the original ones that are too small in height for good airflow. These will allow airflow beneath the unit and it won't heat as much. I have 36C on the top vents vs 32C with the new rubber feet on :)

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #670 of 961
Most audio gd products (including the nfb15) are biased into class A. I wouldnt worry about the unit getting heaps warm, as long as the vents aren't obstructed in anyway it's all gravy. Chassis is a good heatsink too. This was all confirmed by Kingwa himself

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #671 of 961
Hi-res 24bit/192khz files for testing the USB link: http://www.naimlabel.com/musicstore-test-files.aspx at the bottom.

Select 24bit 192khz in speaker properties, then use foobar without any resampler. Turn foobar volume a bit down, it's fairly loud recording. If it plays ok the USB link is good :)

Unit heats a bit too much: A good tweak is going to your local electronics store and buy some rubber feet (they cost me 2E) to be put under the original ones that are too small in height for good airflow. These will allow airflow beneath the unit and it won't heat as much. I have 36C on the top vents vs 32C with the new rubber feet on :)

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

I had some spare foam lying around when I first got my unit and made a base near the front and back to allow better airflow to the bottom vent.
My goal was the same as yours. It did significantly lower the operating temperature.

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #672 of 961
After some days of listening through my flac collection I must say the NFB 15.32 with the TCXO upgrade sounds much better and more detailed (especially PRAT and also musicality) than my modded sound card ASUS STX (low jitter clock, OPA2107 opas, caps change, bypassing) but tends to be more unforgiving on really bad recordings.
A happy camper, this product is well worth its price.

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #673 of 961
Got my NFB-15 a couple of days ago. After long hours of tedious listening, I have to say that I honestly cannot tell the difference between my Sony laptop and the NFB-15. Tracks that are "efficient" enough to have enough volume through the laptop sound the same too. This begs the question of whether I'm missing something, and the vast majority of posts that report otherwise doesn't make it any easier.
Another thing is hiss, which is very noticeable after 12-14 o'clock, for both low and high gain, funnily enough. It's unfortunate that I had to discover this myself, but with the gain on high I'm far from the hiss having any influence on the music. Is this something that's normal across amplifiers?
This being my first amp/DAC combo, I'm starting to get the attraction of tube amps, because right now I'm sitting and wondering whether I've bought a solid state amp for $300, that sounds the same as my 5 year old laptop.

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #674 of 961
Got my NFB-15 a couple of days ago. After long hours of tedious listening, I have to say that I honestly cannot tell the difference between my Sony laptop and the NFB-15. Tracks that are "efficient" enough to have enough volume through the laptop sound the same too. This begs the question of whether I'm missing something, and the vast majority of posts that report otherwise doesn't make it any easier.
Another thing is hiss, which is very noticeable after 12-14 o'clock, for both low and high gain, funnily enough. It's unfortunate that I had to discover this myself, but with the gain on high I'm far from the hiss having any influence on the music. Is this something that's normal across amplifiers?
This being my first amp/DAC combo, I'm starting to get the attraction of tube amps, because right now I'm sitting and wondering whether I've bought a solid state amp for $300, that sounds the same as my 5 year old laptop.

What headphones are you using?

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #675 of 961
I opened up the 15.32 to play with the filter settings of the DAC... if you feel the treble region is too loud and it maskes the mids you can use OS : 2 Filter : 3 (the last setting on this page: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN_Use.htm). If you put the jumpers other way round it won't play 96 or 192khz files on ASIO. Check before you screw the unit back. 2/3 sounds just right for the DT880 250ohm I'm using. 4x OS or 8x OS is a big no-no at least in my case (sound is muffled).

EDIT: Reverted back to the original settings. It sounds best this way. So it's not worth playing around with filter settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back