Audio-GD NFB-15.32 Delivery & Impression Thread
Jan 22, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #196 of 961

Is this usb firmware applicable for all audio GD products? what is the improvement compared to older one?

There's a whole other thread about it here http://www.head-fi.org/t/638252/audio-gd-usb-32-firmware-drivers-and-feedback-thread

just so we don't get off topic here. If you like the way it sounds i don't recommend it unless you fully understand the flashing process first.

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #198 of 961
Genclaymore (great Scottish name that): you are one of the few people to have ordered the TXCO upgrade after buying a unit - you said it smoothed things out - could you elaborate on that a little please? IE: does it make the 15.32 a little less bright; or dark (treble roll off); even warmer (low end strength), or does it reduce any perceptible harshness in the audio?

Consensus is that it reduces jitter, however if your source is low jitter that ought not to matter really (and that's what Kingwa sort of stated on the website). I read a couple of comments (non Audio_gd related) that said TXCO is meant to help in cold temperatures (take that as you will)!
smile.gif

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #199 of 961
  Genclaymore (great Scottish name that): you are one of the few people to have ordered the TXCO upgrade after buying a unit - you said it smoothed things out - could you elaborate on that a little please? IE: does it make the 15.32 a little less bright; or dark (treble roll off); even warmer (low end strength), or does it reduce any perceptible harshness in the audio?

Consensus is that it reduces jitter, however if your source is low jitter that ought not to matter really (and that's what Kingwa sort of stated on the website). I read a couple of comments (non Audio_gd related) that said TXCO is meant to help in cold temperatures (take that as you will)!
smile.gif

Hi,
I bought the TXCO in after I bought the unit. According to Kingwa it will takes quite a few hours to burn in as its not pre-burned in like the unit. I found generally it dosent change the tonal balance but it does make it sound slightlly smoother (not as harsh more musical) and it does open up the sound a bit more and the little details stand out more (a little cleaner, little more detail). The one thing i did notice the bass is tighter and punchier too. Initially when I put the TCXO in it was a little harsh but after 100 hours it smoothed out and had the above affect, so overall slightly smoother, cleaner sounding with a little more detail and better bass.
I hope you didn't mind adding my 20c worth, I hope that helps.
Cheers
Steve. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #200 of 961

smile.gif

Yea I realist the name was Scottish when you said it, but i orginally named my self after the explosive mine then the sword, For me the NFB15.32  used to be a bit too much in the highs, it toned it down, the Transparency was another thing I notice being improved as well as the bass and the sound stage being a tad wider..

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #201 of 961
Thanks for the posting up your thoughts Steve/Gen - will be ordering up 2x TXCO's as soon as
smile.gif

Oh and yes we invented Golf, TV (arguably.. but there was screw all on), the telephone etc etc.. didn't invent antipersonal mines or the sword TBH. Getting pissed.. mmm not even that come to think of it. Oh well.

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #203 of 961
Just wondering does anyone Else's 15.32 gets really warm? I'm surprised that they didn't put any vent holes in the top cover to expel some heat.

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #204 of 961
  Just wondering does anyone Else's 15.32 gets really warm? I'm surprised that they didn't put any vent holes in the top cover to expel some heat.

My NFB-15.32 gets warm, warmer then I would like, but not warm enough to really concern me.
You could always try putting some passive heat sinks on top.

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #206 of 961
  Mine gets warm, warmer then I would like, but not warm enough to really concern me.
You could always put some passive heat sinks on top.

what are these passive heat sinks do you use? thanks

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #207 of 961
  What are these passive heat sinks do you use? thanks

I'm not currently using any heat sinks on my NFB-15.32, but I have looked into it.
I would not want to glue the heat sinks on top, but not sure how else to attach them.
Guess i could just put down a bit of Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste and just lay the heat sink on top and hope they do not get knocked off.

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #208 of 961
You are honestly going to get 0 benefit from putting heatsinks on the enclosure. The components that need them already have them. You can see when you open up the case. The power supply section is the most important and what generates most of the heat really.

Besides it will look ugly as heck.

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #209 of 961

found this on another thread. i think that's taking it a little far thou.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #210 of 961
I wonder if that glued on or just placed on top, I do have a spare cpu hsf but i think that would just be silly. But one could always drill holes into their unit and then place fans inside then rig up a way to power the fans so they pull out the heat while the unit is on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back