Audio-GD NFB-15.32 Delivery & Impression Thread
Apr 18, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #721 of 961
I haven't been keeping up with this thread but I would just like to say that this is a great amp especially once it has warmed up to operating temperature. I have never been one to believe the hype around cables and whatever, but at the behest of my so called "friend" I gave the entry level Transparent Audio power cable a try. Wow! It really does add dynamic range to this amplifier, the bass goes deeper, the instruments have more separation, the background is blacker. It's just better all around. Maybe there actually is something to this cable business, I hate my "friend" for opening this can of worms.

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #725 of 961
  Can you make the NFB-15(Version 2014, Since 20th May 2014) A lot warmer or a Little. Can anyone please simplify the digital filters settings?

The filters do very little to alter the sound. I'd advise just keeping it on stock, TBH. 

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #727 of 961
When I had the 15.32 as well a used nfb12.1 not all the filter settings did any thing. I found that only 3 or 4 of them alter the sound. I found my self liking 4:3 setting if I recalled after I tried all of them. Some was very notice able while others was harder to tell. I notice the difference on both the DT880 premium 600s and the T90's. I don't know how filter settings react on the NFB15 2014 tho, could not do any thing.  Also people ears are different so what one person hears another person wont, I have sensitive ears or whatever so i notice changes easy or when something sound funky. But i think 4:3 like i mention or was it 4:2 that people common used with the 15.32. I may had used the AD900X with it as well before i got the Dt880s and i seem to remember to prefer 2:3 setting for them. Not to mention that the 15.32 had the os and filter settings on the front of the unit. I don't know why they went back to the NFB12.1 way of setting the filter settings with the NFB15 2014 where you open it up to do it.

I may had mention my results in this thread on one of the earlier pages a year or two ago back when I had the NFB15.32.

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #728 of 961
The filter settings affect high frequency roll-off, see audio-gd's website here for specifics like fr graphs http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN_Use.htm Aside from impacting the upper-registers, there are small differences between all of the filter settings.  However, whether or not you can hear those differences depends on your setup and your ears.  I spent quite a few hours listening to every filter setting to see which I liked best, and the differences were subtle. I wish they had kept the filter settings on the front panel as well. It's a pain to open up the case and fiddle with the jumpers every time I want to adjust the filter settings.

May 2, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #729 of 961
Guys, have any of you paired this with an LCD-X?

May 4, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #730 of 961
I have a set of HD800s coming in today, ill be driving them with the NFB15 for at least a little while. Ill let you guys know how it is.

If I do upgrade, itll either be to the Valhalla 2 or some balanced amp setup (NFB6?) and have the NFB15 on DAC duty. 

Update: First impressions with the HD800 are very good, volume pot does not go over 10:30-11 - only slightly more than what my 400i needs. 

May 6, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #731 of 961
So here's my delivery experience: FAST! Ordered Thursdays, arrived Tuesdays (DHL to Germany).
Ordered w. TXCO, was 329,-USD, and DHL grabbed another 30€ for TAX and 11€ for handling the tax (!).

The NFB itself is a no-nonsense HIFI gear. Very solid build! Impressive!

Software installation was no problem.

As this is my first DAC/headphone AMP i can only compare it to my wifes old YAMAHA AV Receiver 496, which I was using (w. an Asus Xonar DS via Toslink).

Headphones Sennheiser HD-700.

It is a difference light night and day compared to the Yamaha/Asus combi!

Connected via USB, it sounds very very detailed. Amazing how many information has been hidden in these FLAC files w/o my knowledge!
And I thought I had a good setup before..

It is also very powerful, I never need HighGain for my Sennheisers 700's.

Overall I would say it sounds very neutral. It has a nice soundstage-depth, and it is very fast. It's rather on the bright side (6khz and above), so voices are hissing a bit. Snares / Bongos etc sound very dry though.

I use the equalizer in MC19 to turn down 6kHz -2dB and lift 60Hz +2dB, which compensates the awkward balancing of the 700's.

I guess since the HD-700 is also a bit on the detailed and brigth side, the combination might not be ideal for me...

So I am currently comparing it with a NAD D1050... more to come.

May 10, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #733 of 961
I ordered mine via audiophonics in France off eBay.  What a disaster.  First of all, they shipped it on 28th January, and 6 weeks later told me the postal service could not find my address (been living at the same address for 28 years).  So they shipped it again on 3rd March.  It arrived on 29th April, in a sorry state

There are parts missing, no diagram, no optical connection.  I emailed them 4 times and get a generic reply.  So far, I have emailed Audio GD in China and they reply promptly, but don't understand my questions (poor English?).  At least I am making progress

So I am dying to try it, but need some technical info.  I don't want a "poof" moment when it is switched on because I did something stupid

May 10, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #734 of 961
  The NFB-15 is the warmest Audio gd gear and reputedly warmer than SS competition at the price point like O2 and Magni. You call it bright relative to what ?

I think it's a bit brighter compared to the NAD D1050 (read my comparison Audio-GD NFB 15 versus NAD D1050 here), and to my previously used Yamaha AVR. Although the Sennheiser HD-700 add largely to this impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back