Audio-gd NFB-12 impression
Jul 5, 2011 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

pro555

New Head-Fier
Last month I got my HD 650 and last week I got my Audio-gd NFB-12. I tested the NFB-12 for a few days and like to share my experience. IMO NFB-12 is a well designed and made DIY work with extraordinary value. Before NFB-12, I had or still have Essence ST, OMEGA Claro Halo, some other sound cards and a $230 Made-in-China DAC. So my impression about NFB-12 is based on what I had.

One year ago I bought Essence ST since it was claimed the best sounding sound card. But I was looking for something better when I realized internal gear has its limitation because of power and interference of a computer. My goal was clear, my new gear mast be unique and yet affordable. After a long time search I came down to the Audio-gd NFB-12.

I found NFB-12 is really special at its price range. It has dual Wolfson top-grade DAC chips and "Fully discrete amp without any OPA". A similar designed headphone amp would costs 3-4 times as much as NFB-12. There is nothing like it at its price range. So I ordered it with no doubt.

After a long time wait ( Canadian post workers were on strike for 2 weeks) I received my NFB-12. When I opened the package I can tell this is really a DIY work. The package was really simple and no printed manual come with it. But I don't care at all as long as the product was well protected. After an audition, I am turly impressed! No background noise. In terms of dynamic range, sound stage and detail of sound are all better than my Essence ST. It sounds natural, not on the bright side, which really please me. I am going to settle with it until I can make some real money. I highly recommend it to any one who looking for a better computer sound with limit budget.

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 17
Nive review-and nice pics! That is surely a nice dac/amp, and you could probably see another sonic leap by upgrading to a higher end amp for the 650s down the line!

-Daniel

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 17
I agree that the NFB-12 offers excellent value. I use one at the office with my LA2000 Lites, and I could not be happier with the results.

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #6 of 17
I don't have a dedicated amp or anything better than NFB12, so I couldn't say NFB12 powers HD650 at best, but it is good enough to me.  A $60 motherboard looks much more complex than most HiFi DAC/AMP cost $1.5k. I am not going to pursue something I am not sure.

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 17
How is it with HD650? People are saying NFB12 pairs better with brighter phones like Beyer and Grados and NFB11 are more darker headphones. Your thoughts on it?

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 17
NFB-12 has quite a powerful amp in it (usually over twice as powerful in comparison to everything else in it's price range), it'll drive pretty much every headphone on the market to ear-damaging levels - my T1 only needs to sit at about 10 o'clock on high gain before it starts getting too loud. Plenty of power for the HD650 and 600-Ohm Beyers.

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 17
MMM.. sounds good!  I don't mean damaging to the ears.  Does it keep the SQ while going louder? =)

Quote:
NFB-12 has quite a powerful amp in it (usually over twice as powerful in comparison to everything else in it's price range), it'll drive pretty much every headphone on the market to ear-damaging levels - my T1 only needs to sit at about 10 o'clock on high gain before it starts getting too loud. Plenty of power for the HD650 and 600-Ohm Beyers.

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 17
I have mine on HIgh Gain at about 10 oclock with the HD-650.  Its hard to take it any lounder but the SQ remains until 12 oclock.  After that I don't know cant keep the headphones on at that point!

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 17
I see.  That's plenty of loud than.  =)  I don't listen to my music really loudly but usually at lower volumes.  But I might turn it up just a little for some movies. =)  

Quote:
I have mine on HIgh Gain at about 10 oclock with the HD-650.  Its hard to take it any lounder but the SQ remains until 12 oclock.  After that I don't know cant keep the headphones on at that point!

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #14 of 17

I thought it was needed to set it at high gain for higher impedance phones?

Quote:
As you may notice, I set it Low gain and turned the knob between 10-12 o'clock for my HD650. Maybe HD650 is more sensitive than some other headphones.

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #15 of 17
I just played the setting around, I found out when I set the default playback to S/PDIF, the volume is lower but the sound quality is even improved! At this setting, I have to set the gain to High. If you didn't know this already, I recommend you set the S/PDIF as default playback on you computer for the external DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back