Audio-GD NFB-11
Mar 21, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #797 of 987
For the guys on the wait... my NFB-11 is said to be shipped... I'm waiting for the tracking information....
Tracking received... packet is already on London DHL Facility..... =]

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #799 of 987

I hope new NFB 11 owners are enjoying their shiney new DAC as much as I am....  thats alot btw. :)

I was looking for an upgrade for my '11, and was thinking maybe a fancy power cable, expensive interconnects etc.
Well put those "upgrades" waaay-off, and start saving your Rubles cuz.....
I stumbled on something much better... the AudioGD Digital Interface!  (I just got mine, thnx KingWa,Edwin)

It is seriously a "Must-Have"  It wonderfully adds a layer of space/definition/seperation to vocals and instruments!
I was like.. whoa.. Niice! not expecting much from an Interface I did not expect it to make such a noticable improvement.
Another similiarly impressed User coined it "a pre-amp for DACs" well, it's a "somewhat" accurate description. lol

A real potent Combo with the Digital Interface, I'm even more impressed with the sonic excellence of my '11.5 now.  :)

"it bonge, Cha-shieuw" for KingWa!   Thank-you for sharing your "Gears" and "Flavour" with the World.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #801 of 987
Does anyone upsample their music to 192Khz? I just read that its does not exist in NFB-11.

Does upsampling really help with 320kbps bitrate music?

Still waiting for my NFB-11 to be shipped.. Looks like i will have shoot a mail to Edwin.. :)

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #802 of 987
NFB-11 with DI in D house! 
biggrin.gif

3 days from hong kong to Brazil, with all duties paid.... What else could I wish for ? DHL shipping btw....

I'll post impressions sometime soon....

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #804 of 987
Hey guys, I just took a look at the DI, and I don't want to be ripped for asking this, but I'm not sure what it's use is.

Looking at it, it almost seems like a usb to spdif converter, which if it is, that definitely seems like a good value when compared to the hiface.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #805 of 987

Quote:
>Does anyone upsample their music to 192Khz? I just read that its does not exist in NFB-11.

Where? Factory documentation is scarce.

Something i read in the top left corner of the page..

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB11.1/NFB11.1EN.htm

Dedicated DAC +   HP/Pre amp
Dedicated DAC  variable and fixed line level
32Bit / 96KHz Coaxial/BNC input support
[size=medium]*[/size]
Applies ACSS

[size=medium]* [/size][size=x-small]The ES9018 had higher request of sources than other DAC . We can't guarantee it can work well at 192K (coaxial input ) and 96KHz (optical input) with all sources. It depend on the source output SPDIF waves quality.  We practised  it can work well with our DI and hiface (BNC) at 192KHz.[/size]

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #806 of 987

Quote:
Hey guys, I just took a look at the DI, and I don't want to be ripped for asking this, but I'm not sure what it's use is.

Looking at it, it almost seems like a usb to spdif converter, which if it is, that definitely seems like a good value when compared to the hiface.

Well it's just like that... but with a much higher grade of quality than a simple usb to spdif.... I just got mine a couple of hours ago, so I can't still comment o SQ improvement as I received a NFB-11 also.... anyway... out of the box the NFB-11 + DI combo is far superior from my just repaired 09 zeroDAC (about 150hrs on the new PCB).
I can also say for sure that this combo sounds way better then the Aeolus magiDAC which I had for almost a month borrowed from a friend, until last week.

Quote:

Something i read in the top left corner of the page..

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB11.1/NFB11.1EN.htm

Dedicated DAC +   HP/Pre amp
Dedicated DAC  variable and fixed line level
32Bit / 96KHz Coaxial/BNC input support
[size=medium]*[/size]
Applies ACSS

[size=medium]* [/size][size=x-small]The ES9018 had higher request of sources than other DAC . We can't guarantee it can work well at 192K (coaxial input ) and 96KHz (optical input) with all sources. It depend on the source output SPDIF waves quality.  We practised  it can work well with our DI and hiface (BNC) at 192KHz.[/size]

Which information do you want to know ? If the NFB-11 plays files at 24 bits / 192khz ?
Or if the DI upsamples to 192khz ?

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #807 of 987
>Does anyone upsample their music to 192Khz? I just read that its does not exist in NFB-11.

[Where?]

>Something i read in the top left corner of the page..

>http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB11.1/NFB11.1EN.htm

I believe that's referring to the quality of the SPDIF and USB inputs to the FNB-11 (player [software or hardware], PC, and/or other upstream device(s) in the signal path); not the FNB-11's implementation of the ES9018 chip's capabilities. Both the Hiface and Audio-GD DI digital interfaces are asynchronous and capable of outputting 192Khz/24bit signals if presented and both a) the input signal at that rate is clean enough, and b) the physical connections are good enough (notice at high bitrates/sample depth no optical SPDIF, coax only, and the Hiface needs the BNC connector). Oversampling appears to a function of the upstream source player software/firmware and hardware capability (for example, the foobar program oversampling upto 192/24 is a software switch); perhaps the designer should weigh in here 

I assume the FNB-11 ES9018 (having eight 32 bit DAC channels) is configured in "Stereo Quad Balance Mode," utilizing 4 D/A converters per channel; but, again, perhaps we should hear from the designer. The chip clearly has more capability than implemented in the FNB-11. All I can say for sure is that, so far, it sounds really clean and really detailed; i.e., good to my poor ears. As noted by others, too easy to play too loud. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #808 of 987
The strongest points from the NFB-11 in my opinion are the low frequencies and the huge dynamic range... you really can hear a big difference from low intensity to high intensity sounds.... it's pretty easy with to realize which recordings have dynamic range compression and which not...
Also I guess as a consequence of this, a lot of musical tracks are presented in a very different way from what I'm used to, in a good way, of course.... the music is more coherent, "makes sense".... it's easier to get the singer and band intentions on their performance...
I'm using a Kplisch B3 speaker and I really never heard it pumping so much low frequencies as they are doing now....

Well coming from a ZeroDAC with the Franken mod, I can say the NFB-11 is well worth it..... but still.... it's too early to make a complete statement.... it still needs a lot of hours, as do the DI..... and there are a lot of variable to test.....

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #809 of 987

WoW!
Good to know that!
I desperately need mine!!
frown.gif

Quote:
The strongest points from the NFB-11 in my opinion are the low frequencies and the huge dynamic range... you really can hear a big difference from low intensity to high intensity sounds.... it's pretty easy with to realize which recordings have dynamic range compression and which not...
Also I guess as a consequence of this, a lot of musical tracks are presented in a very different way from what I'm used to, in a good way, of course.... the music is more coherent, "makes sense".... it's easier to get the singer and band intentions on their performance...
I'm using a Kplisch B3 speaker and I really never heard it pumping so much low frequencies as they are doing now....

Well coming from a ZeroDAC with the Franken mod, I can say the NFB-11 is well worth it..... but still.... it's too early to make a complete statement.... it still needs a lot of hours, as do the DI..... and there are a lot of variable to test.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back