Audio-GD NFB-11
Nov 25, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #376 of 987
Can you tell me main difference between NFB12 and NFB2/3 as a DAC? I dont need builtin headamp, but why there is price difference if we are talking about that products only as dedicated DACs? Im almost sure I wnat more musicality thats why im thinking of Wolfson chips onboard. Comments would be highly appreciated:)

Nov 25, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #377 of 987
Juding by the pictures the powersuply of the NFB2 is discrete class A for all 6 sections and of very good quality (se the pics down the page and the text), whereas the NFB3 only have 2 sections of discrete part (as the NFB12). Add the very good wima capacitors for NFB2 (NFB12 uses smd parts - not so liniar/but neither the same speed).

In my experience a good discrete powersuply is key to a good relaxing - ear friendly so to speak - sound - perhaps thats what you would judge as musicality. That should be enough to choose for me for NFB2, aparently Kingwa can hear difference between the different transformers, behind all the beefy impressive power suply - beats my ears- but the NFB2 looks good. Good you dont mind its a 5usd dac. Who cares if its 5 or 60 usd.

I would have a look in the different threads here, the tech. dont mean anything realy, unless you are a tech nerd :)

Nov 25, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #378 of 987
Thank you! Im not going to be tech nerd:) Thats why im asking about differences, because I dont need to pay extra money for better capacitors etc etc IF the implementation is good and allows me to have very nice sound even from NFB12 DAC:) Ill try to read more in other threads about gd-audio products, but if anyone who had opportunity to compare 2 vs 3 for example could share some opinion I would be happy:)

Nov 26, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #379 of 987
Is there any word on progress resolving the NFB-11 problems - anyone hear of a date to begin shipping NFB-11's from the second batch?

Nov 26, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #380 of 987
Audio-gd said "The NFB-11 USB issue hed fix in long time test. We are designing the new PCB for it." in their Web site.
I asked "Can you ship new PCB version soon?" by e-mail.24th. Nov.
The answer was "Now the NFB-11 new PCB have not released"

I guess they can ship NFB-11 at the beginning of December.

Nov 26, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #381 of 987
I traded emails with Edwin on 11/22 and he said they needed a few more days to verify the fix and hope to start shipping the beginning of December.

Quote:
Is there any word on progress resolving the NFB-11 problems - anyone hear of a date to begin shipping NFB-11's from the second batch?

Nov 26, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #382 of 987
I got the same answer from Edwin as well.

Quote:
I traded emails with Edwin on 11/22 and he said they needed a few more days to verify the fix and hope to start shipping the beginning of December.

Quote:

Nov 26, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #383 of 987
I have searched the most recent Audio-GD threads looking for some clues as I am in the same situation as Zibra. I have seen one post saying that Kingwa written (in an email response) that the difference between the NFB-3 and NFB-2 is pretty small. If I'm not mistaken the power supply difference is in the digital signal path whereas the analog signal is powered by the same type of PSU. Am I right? Someone (again - in these fresh Audio-GD threads) said they expect the difference between power supplies to be pretty small like Kingwa stated because digital signal is less affected by the PSu than the analog one. I could have missunderstood something though.
wink_face.gif

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #384 of 987
Here is my take on it. Looking at the pictures it seems as on the nfb-3 only the analogue section of the amplifier is distrete (as nfb-11/nfb-12).

It makes sense, the transistors in the amp section dont have near the same noise rejection as the digital parts, so noise will easily make the signal bad. Secondly, the output amp section needs a fast and liniar power suply -  the discrete power suply can give that.

For the digital chips - the dac also have an analogue section and analogue power supply besides the digital, and in my experience the analogue is also very, very sensitive to noise. Dont think of a dac as a digital processor - think more of it as a analogue process. Thats the hard part of it. And think of the digital signal as analogue in its behavior.

With a stable low jitter clock, stiff ground plane, low data jitter and noise free, liniar and fast power suply, the conversion is not so critical. But how do you get a low jitter clock, low jitter data stream from a computer, and how do you - for low money - make low noise power suply. Its not that easy :) - it can be more cost effective to have a more expensive dac that is less sensitive to clock jitter, data jitter and worse power suply (like the pcm1704 :)).  But audio-gd gives us spades of hardware for our money anyway.

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #385 of 987
Having read through this whole thread, I'm still not 100% decided which unit to get, but will still be getting the NFB-11 any way, assuming it does ship shortly.

Output will be from a new 27" Apple iMac (which just replaced my old MacBook Pro).  I do have quite a large collection of 24/96 music, both vinyl rip's and high res, and all my CD rips are lossless.  I'm going to feed the DAC into a HifiMan EF2A tube amp (with upgraded tubes), which is currently running off USB and is limited to 16/44.  The DAC is the weak part of the EF2A.

The aim is to listen to my 24/96 music without downconversion via the optical output of the Mac.  From what I've read, optical output can have much bigger issues with jitter, but not sure how audible this will be.

Headphones include Alessandro MS-1, HeadDirect/HifiMan RE-0 and Koss KSC-75, with soon to be added ATH-AD900.  

I've pre-ordered the NFB-11, and I'm reasonably sure this should be a good match for the EF2A.  I think the smooth sound of the EF2A should be a good match for the neutral detailed NFB-11.  Any other suggestions?

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #386 of 987
Just heard back from Audio-GD regarding my pre-order query.

Quote:
Dear Ronny,

Sorry, because now the NFB-11 pre-order is too much, we are afraid can not shipping out all the order soon, so that we want to pause the NFB-11 pre-order first, sorry.
And do you have our any other products interested in? If yes, we can quote to you

Best Regards
Edwin

Quote:
We think all the NFB-11 order will be shipping out at next month, so that after next month we think is OK.

So I'd say that if you're not already on the pre-order list, you won't get one this year.

Not sure what other model I would get.  I was wondering if the other DAC's which are modified to have a warmer sound, might not be a good combination with the EF2A - too over-emphasised?  Time to do a bit more research...

Nov 28, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #387 of 987
OK, I've paid for my NFB-11 and was supposed to get one in the November shipment.  When Audio-GD told me about the delay to work on the glitch, I told them rather than order something else I'd wait for the NFB-11. 

Thanks to those who posted info here, I can now see that Kingwa & Co. are hopeful that they will ship the promised units (mine included) in early December, which is just days away.  It sounds like they're working hard to deal with this bug.

It's good to know their thinking on the shipping schedule.  I hope all goes well and they can start shipping as hoped.

Thanks, guys, for the info.

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #389 of 987
I recieved my FUN version A last Friday.  I have had it hooked up with both the headphone output going to some earbuds and the Line output going to my main solid state rig for the past five days.  I set my iTunes library to play continuously to try to get a head start on breaking this unit in.   I am going to do some listening today.  I purchased a Musical Fidelity V-DAC back in October and it has had about 4 weeks of break-in.  The V-DAC really started sounding amazing after 3 weeks of being powered on and playing music 4 to 8 hours a day.  I am hoping that the FUN will break-in in a similar amount of time.   Right now with about 120 hours of break-in time the FUN is still pretty soft sounding with a forward sound presentation.   The V-DAC by comparison started out with the high end compressed and un-detailed but after 3 weeks it opened up and highs became smooth, detailed and natural.  The V-DAC now is very detailed with a lot of space around the instruments and players and a very deep sound stage.  Also the bass became very fast and strong.   The FUN is suppose to have a better DAC and the benefit of better electronic components and no opamps which the V-DAC uses for it's analog stage.   I will update in a couple of weeks when the FUN has had time to break-in properly with a comparison between the two DAC's.   I am going to keep the unit I like best and the other plus my Audio Alchemy 3.0 will be on the auction block.  I need to clear out some of the gear I have aquired over the past few years.

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #390 of 987

Quote:
I recieved my FUN version A last Friday.  I have had it hooked up with both the headphone output going to some earbuds and the Line output going to my main solid state rig for the past five days.  I set my iTunes library to play continuously to try to get a head start on breaking this unit in.   I am going to do some listening today.  I purchased a Musical Fidelity V-DAC back in October and it has had about 4 weeks of break-in.  The V-DAC really started sounding amazing after 3 weeks of being powered on and playing music 4 to 8 hours a day.  I am hoping that the FUN will break-in in a similar amount of time.   Right now with about 120 hours of break-in time the FUN is still pretty soft sounding with a forward sound presentation.   The V-DAC by comparison started out with the high end compressed and un-detailed but after 3 weeks it opened up and highs became smooth, detailed and natural.  The V-DAC now is very detailed with a lot of space around the instruments and players and a very deep sound stage.  Also the bass became very fast and strong.   The FUN is suppose to have a better DAC and the benefit of better electronic components and no opamps which the V-DAC uses for it's analog stage.   I will update in a couple of weeks when the FUN has had time to break-in properly with a comparison between the two DAC's.   I am going to keep the unit I like best and the other plus my Audio Alchemy 3.0 will be on the auction block.  I need to clear out some of the gear I have aquired over the past few years.

Looking forward to your impression and comparison, but maybe the FUN thread is a better place to post them:)

Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back