Audio-gd NFB 11.32 vs ?DAC and Little Dot mkiii for HD650
Jun 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 7
I have been looking at the NFB 11.32 myself, there is an extensive thread on the unit in the computer audio forum (why it is down there I do not know). It appears to be a very good sounding unit but some people have had a lot of trouble getting the USB input to work on the dac portion due to driver (and other) issues. Suggest you read through it, Other than that it seems like a real solid unit with great sound. Personally I would go with the LD MkIII, but I am probably biased as I own a LD 1+ and I love it. Can only imagine how the MkIII would sound. I suspect the dac you pair it with would have a lot to do with how that combo would end up sounding. I have the HD600 but from what I read the 650's are pretty similar. Right now I am looking for a better dac to go with my setup, I bought the cheapest thing I could find and while it works I know if I were to get a Bifrost or even a Modi it would probably sound a lot better.

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 7
I just sold my modi to get funds to upgrade my amp, thus the need for DAC and Amp as my EF2A (for Sale) only does 16bit input from USB.  I have read the issues with the USB input.  Most seem to thwart those running the super dooper HiFi software players...I just stream spotify with the occasional CD through USB.  I ordered the Audio-GD and may try to find a LDiii and use the AGD as DAC/PRE Amp with it so I can change my SS/Tube flavors up a bit...The LDiii is fairly cheap now...I hope the updated Drivers that AGD referred me to in the e-mail back answering my questions are suitable for my setup..if not...then more device changing is foreseen....BTW, the modi did a good job for me but I wanted the ability to use a DAC at parties as a PRE Amp for my stereo downstairs, thus the need to change it out.  Again, it was a very good DAC at its price point.  I have heard others that are much more expensive that layered and 3D'd and soundtaged and all that, but again...much more expensive.  The Bifrost looks very interesting as well...I will put my thoughts once I have had a chance to assimilate to the new gear!
Thanks!

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Got the 11.32 and loaded it up....very nice detail and sound. May get tube amp so I can change my flavor when the mood strikes me!

nice man, I'm running exact same setup right now too.  I don't know if it's because of the sabre DAC or not, but I don't know how anyone can call the HD650's veiled, they sound VERY similar to my DT880 600 ohms on the same setup.

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #6 of 7
nice man, I'm running exact same setup right now too.  I don't know if it's because of the sabre DAC or not, but I don't know how anyone can call the HD650's veiled, they sound VERY similar to my DT880 600 ohms on the same setup.
It did add a crisp detail that I had not noticed before. Opened up the soundstage and depth as well. So far, it's a winner! Now LD, Woo, Schiit, etc? Where will my wallet end up?

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi Math-ECU,

Did you ever get the Tube amp as well? I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about your experience with the NFB11.32 with your HD650s and if you could compare that experience with a tube amp?

The reason I ask is because im torn between a bottlehead crack or the nfb11.32 for my HD650s.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back