Audio GD New NOS 7 2016 Edition Impression Thread
Jun 18, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #47 of 286
Hi hugoboss, thanks for your answer. He already sent me the file and everything is working OK now.

Trying this settings as I write:

- PLL1
- NOS mode 2
- Neutral
- Asynch mode 2

My first impression is everything is sounding more detailed and organic already (I was using my Ref 5.32 in NOS mode, stop band 90 an PLL off before). Also, the presentation seems more coherent now, positioning of elements is different, more open and tall. Overall, listening experience is more engaging so far.

Will try different settings as burn-in continues.

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #48 of 286
I contaced Kingwa about a DIY kit to upgrade to NOS myself. He gave me a schematic instruction on the upgrade process and want me to confirm that I will be able to do it.
I think the steps are pretty straight forward. And I just ordered the USB Blaster from ebay. I do have a few questions:

- How long does it take to do the upgrade? What is included in the DIY kit? Does it include the clocks and high quality wires?
- Also, does the upgrade provided by magnahifi include one tcxo (power) isolated with dc choke? If I do the upgrade myself, does that mean I won't be able to isolate the tcxo with a dc choke? Can we buy just the kit from magnahifi?
- In the instructions provided by kingwa, it states that if we want to revert to the Master series firmware we have pay USD30. Is there a way to backup the old firmware before upgrade to NOS firmware?

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #51 of 286
  Hi Jhya,

which DAC model are you willing to upgrade? Instruction varies according to the unit. I've just did it on a Ref 5.32.

Cheers

I plan to upgrade my Master 11. There was two steps to upgrade the hardware,
1. Upgrade the MCK with an external TCXO clock unit and
2. Cut the wire between the display board and the digital board if you have an Amanero USB. Do you know what does this step do? (It says "The NOS version had very strong process ability to process the input signals, if your unit had the built in Amanero module", and it's optional).

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #52 of 286
My upgrade didn't need to cut the wire to the display, although I also upgraded to Amanero board on my Ref, this step was not necessary in my unit (according to Kingwa), just broke the SCK pins and soldered the clock as per instructed; then connected the blaster and updated the firmware...and voilá!

Jun 21, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #53 of 286
Hello,

I am new to this forum. After having read the encouraging comments about this upgrade, I couldn't wait to do this upgrade for my Master7 as well and ordered the kit.

I wanted to seek for assistance from those who obviously have done their conversion from Master7 to NOS7 without problems.

I have already the upgradekit, the links, codes & instructions from Kingwa at hand, but I struggle with accessing the downloadsoftware (BaiduYunGuanja_5.4.5.exe). After having downloaded this software and typing in the username & code I got from Kingwa, the software refuses to move on (have already received a new code from Kingwa but same thing happens).

Is there any special trick or advice you can give me ? The textwindows when running the software are all in Chinese which makes it difficult to interpret ...

Thanks a lot in advance for your assistance

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #54 of 286
  Hello,

I am new to this forum. After having read the encouraging comments about this upgrade, I couldn't wait to do this upgrade for my Master7 as well and ordered the kit.

I wanted to seek for assistance from those who obviously have done their conversion from Master7 to NOS7 without problems.

I have already the upgradekit, the links, codes & instructions from Kingwa at hand, but I struggle with accessing the downloadsoftware (BaiduYunGuanja_5.4.5.exe). After having downloaded this software and typing in the username & code I got from Kingwa, the software refuses to move on (have already received a new code from Kingwa but same thing happens).

Is there any special trick or advice you can give me ? The textwindows when running the software are all in Chinese which makes it difficult to interpret ...

Thanks a lot in advance for your assistance

Hi JoWi,

I had the exact same problem to download the software. I ended up downloading the software (Quartus 12.1) directly form Altera site -after a quick registration- and asking Kingwa to send me the output_file.jic via mail (file necessary to upgrade your firmware on the DSP).

Hope this helps.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #55 of 286
Hi dcivera,
Sounds promising - thanks a lot ! Will follow your advice and do the modification on the weekend. Anything to keep in mind when doing the soldering + cutting ?

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #56 of 286
Hi dcivera,
Sounds promising - thanks a lot ! Will follow your advice and do the modification on the weekend. Anything to keep in mind when doing the soldering + cutting ?

Hi JoWi, just follow the instructions, it's a pretty simple modification. Keep in mind to follow the steps chronologically in order not to mess with the DSP.

I'm curious, is your Master 7 with standard DSP settings? Would be nice to read you comparisons after mod.

Regarding my impressions (compared to my previously Ref 5.32 in NOS mode), I agree with hifi-opinions.com review: basically the same animal in terms of character, but better in every aspect: more open and tall soundstage, better positioning, more detail, more coherent, better defined bass, very, very enjoyable...and with just 50 hours of burn-in. I'm really loving this upgrade so far.

Right now I'm still trying with the following settings: PLL 1, NOS 2, Neutral, ASYNCH 2. Will try different variables after burn-in.

Cheers,

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #57 of 286
I have had a M7 and a NOS7 at home for a few days. Compared both using the i2s input via the audio-gd DI-2014 interface. the NOS 7 sounded clearly better than the M7, and it had only 50-60 hrs of burn in on it.
I have also compared the usb amanero to the i2s via di-2014 and here again the verdict was clearly in favour of the i2s. More transparent, less distortion, more details. In the next future I will do test with other interfaces, but so far NOS7 + di-2014 has given the best results.

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #59 of 286
Not really. It was essentially the appropriate reproduction of the sound: transparency was improved, distortion reduced, digital glare also reduced (can you imagine the M7 sounding digital? well the NOS 7 is better on this).
Perhaps a little more bass, but I'm not completely sure.
The difference in SQ was for me sufficiently significant to stop doing comparison, selling the M7, keeping the NOS7. And the person who bought my M7 is upgrading to NOS7 too.
Ps: NOS 7 was in NOS1 mode. I have not tried yet mode 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back