Audio GD New NOS 7 2016 Edition Impression Thread
May 26, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #32 of 286
I don't hear any tube sound after 2hours,not relaxed, bored,alredy heat up all components.the mid quality music also better now.I just want listen......

May 26, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #33 of 286
After 4hours......
You need trial yourself, and chose .....
USB blaster in taobao 2dollar

May 26, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #34 of 286
  Can you explain in what this bypassing consists and how do you connect your transport to the dac?

the first white circle above that is the 4 line input the original design using relay , so bypassing that relay for only using one input line with silver gold cable (the white cable )
go to the board near the potentiometer directly.

last upgrade will be replacing all 8 tube socket to teflon socket
also the power wire will be upgraded to occ copper 18 awg plus all the resistor to amstran,kiwame and tkd

May 26, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #36 of 286
Have anyone compared the M7 in NOS to the NO7?

May 28, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #37 of 286
Hi all, 

After a few days of rather thorough comparison between my dacs; the NOS-7 - Master-11, NFB-27H and NFB-28H(2016), I have found out the following...

For me the NOS-upgrade gave me a complete, much better dac. It is not a different animal but when I have compare between the Master-11 and the NOS-7 the M-11 comes out short for me, and for the last days, this, every time, on every music type and quality/resolution.
I still prefer NOS 2 mode most because of the detailed soundimage. Very enjoyable, relaxing and completely easy flowing beautiful music.
I also think this NOS-dac now is much more forgiving on poorer/less refined recordings than the ESS-dacs but also the Master-dacs and this without compromising on details or soundstage. This dacis now very easy to live with : )    

So today I did the NOS-upgrade treat also to my Master-11. The TCXO had been connected to battery for 10-12 days or so, so the upgrade was instant noticable, direct on startup. Maturing time will be a week, I guess. 

I think this upgrade risen the value on the PCM-dac's. And it is very easy to reverse if You for any reason want to go back. 

/Jan

May 29, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #38 of 286

Clock power and some other isolation,very very important

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #39 of 286
my usb blaster just arrived yesterday

after updating to the new firmware the sound in nos 2 mode

More More Detail, Soud stage wider more 3d. will experiment with different jumper setting
with now setting jumper in ips 0 and ips 1 i found the treble is more dominant , less bass compare to my previous jumper setting
but the setting now give very lot of air and so clear

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #42 of 286
Magnahifi.com nos 7 upgrade: one tcxo (power) isolated with dc choke.Great upgrade!
I isolated all tcxo.
The soundstage get deeper,and transparent.I think M7 have accurate,deeper,3d soundstage,but nos7 so beauty. (All with clock power upgrade!!!!!!!)

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #43 of 286
  Magnahifi.com nos 7 upgrade: one tcxo (power) isolated with dc choke.Great upgrade!
I isolated all tcxo.
The soundstage get deeper,and transparent.I think M7 have accurate,deeper,3d soundstage,but nos7 so beauty. (All with clock power upgrade!!!!!!!)

- ignore - already see the pictures how you did the isolation of TCXO :)

Agree: M7 has slightly deeper 3d soundstage and more attack; the NOS 7 is very, very smooth but still very dynamic. 
I did not yet try the NOS 2 mode; next step......to be continued!

The upgrade was done by Magna Hfi, very fast and professional. I did not even notice the new clock :) You need to have good soldering skills in order to do this upgrade and switching back to M7 is not only just a matter of "updating the DSP". You need to desolder the clock components and reconnect the MCK again.

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #44 of 286
Hi all. I recently upgraded my Ref 5.32 to NOS wiith new clock and new Amanero USB board. Problem is I'm not beeing able to download the folder provided by Kingwa with software tool and .jic file to install the new firmware. I managed to download the Quartus 12.1 app from Altera site but still missing the output_file.jic file. If it's transfer friendly, can anyone be so kind to provide me the file via mail please?

Looking forward to read your impressions on the different NOS new settings.

Many thanks,

Diego.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back