Audio-GD Master 9
Jun 22, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #1,082 of 2,635
  If a good deal for headphones, why not a good dac+preamp deal for speakers ?, 

That's called the M7+M9. I've run pure DACs (no-pre) that cost more than double the M7+M9 and couldn't compete with the M7.

I suppose they can cut out the headphone section and shave ~$500 from the price of the M9, but high end speaker users wouldn't bother trying to save ~$500 and taking away something rather useful as a trade off. Speaker users have the money and the space.

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #1,083 of 2,635
  That's called the M7+M9. I've run pure DACs (no-pre) that cost more than double the M7+M9 and couldn't compete with the M7.

I suppose they can cut out the headphone section and shave ~$500 from the price of the M9, but high end speaker users wouldn't bother trying to save ~$500 and taking away something rather useful as a trade off. Speaker users have the money and the space.

Says the man with a pair SGR CX-4Fs...

After I saw those in your sig and some other comment you made about a good pairing a few weeks ago I read up on them, they're quite the piece of kit... Maybe some day I'll have "the space and the money" :p  I still wonder how anything new would fare against a set of Infinity Ref 5s? They're my be all end all, again, if I has the space and money.

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #1,084 of 2,635
   Says the man with a pair SGR CX-4Fs...

After I saw those in your sig and some other comment you made about a good pairing a few weeks ago I read up on them, they're quite the piece of kit... Maybe some day I'll have "the space and the money" :p  I still wonder how anything new would fare against a set of Infinity Ref 5s? They're my be all end all, again, if I has the space and money.

I'm actually really enjoying the SGR CX4F and the customer support is amazing. Was throwing up between these and their higher end model, but decided to go with the CX4F as the reviews for them seems to be more positive than for the MT3 (coming from customers who either have both, are can afford the higher end MSB DACs). They're good enough that my fiance has given me the green light to finish the set for our upcoming atmos system (I believe Stuart from SGR are still working on the satelite speakers).

Back onto the subject of AGD, the Master7+9 cost less than half of a full size MSB DAC. Sure, the MSB sounds better, but at 5x the price (listened to the MSB Sig fully kitted), the M7+9 puts up a pretty good fight. The MSB Analogue isn't a meaningful upgrade from the M7+9, however, it is a different SQ.

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #1,085 of 2,635
   The MSB Analogue isn't a meaningful upgrade from the M7+9, however, it is a different SQ.

This is interesting. Did you compare both M7 and MSB Analog and if so what would you say is most different between the two in SQ? 

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #1,086 of 2,635
The MSB Analog more or less equal the Master 7 - I don’t think so. Master 7 + OR5 + PSU + good HDMI cables is more in the same ballpark as a MSB Analog, without powerbase. I have not done any direct compare at home…but hey.

The MSB is clearer, more precise and refined sounding. The Master 7 is kind of muffled and gray in compression. Much less so with OR5 HDMI, thou.

Put in another way the difference is like between a full stack MSB Diamond and the MSB Analog.

Overall tonality: Master 7 + OR5 = MSB Analog 

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #1,087 of 2,635
The MSB Analog more or less equal the Master 7 - I don’t think so. Master 7 + OR5 + PSU + good HDMI cables is more in the same ballpark as a MSB Analog, without powerbase. I have not done any direct compare at home…but hey.

The MSB is clearer, more precise and refined sounding. The Master 7 is kind of muffled and gray in compression. Much less so with OR5 HDMI, thou.

Put in another way the difference is like between a full stack MSB Diamond and the MSB Analog.

You should try analog dac with the new quad usb input. Another league. I didn't expect such a big difference. Also the usb inputs from analog (old and new) benefit a lot from linear usb power.

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #1,089 of 2,635
You should try analog dac with the new quad usb input. Another league. I didn't expect such a big difference. Also the usb inputs from analog (old and new) benefit a lot from linear usb power

Yes a good input is very important and can make the dac perform in an “another league” as my example with Master 7 and OR5 true I2S. I now have another DAC that doesn’t has an I2S input, but a good USB made by Gordon Rankin.  

MSB have several very interesting input options 1. The MSB Network Renderer 2. The QUAD USB 2 3. MSB Pro I2S network.  

Would be interesting to test the difference in SQ between them and see if the USB can perform as good as the Render and Pro I2S.    

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #1,090 of 2,635

Yes a good input is very important and can make the dac perform in an “another league” as my example with Master 7 and OR5 true I2S. I now have another DAC that doesn’t has an I2S input, but a good USB made by Gordon Rankin.  

MSB have several very interesting input options 1. The MSB Network Renderer 2. The QUAD USB 2 3. MSB Pro I2S network.  

Would be interesting to test the difference in SQ between them and see if the USB can perform as good as the Render and Pro I2S.    

I already had a network renderer and wanted to do a review comparing the old usb, the quad and the network renderer, but the last one seemed to be dead. Hope to get my hands on a good one soon. 

From what I've read until now, the renderer should be a little better than the quad, but I think that with a linear usb power supply you may get to the same level of performance with the later. (just assumptions for now :p )

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #1,091 of 2,635
  I already had a network renderer and wanted to do a review comparing the old usb, the quad and the network renderer, but the last one seemed to be dead. Hope to get my hands on a good one soon. 

From what I've read until now, the renderer should be a little better than the quad, but I think that with a linear usb power supply you may get to the same level of performance with the later. (just assumptions for now :p )

If the network renderer is not working my guess is MSB will fix it for you and I would be very interested in reading the review on the difference in SQ.

Dan what sources do you connect the MSB to? I mean do you use a dedicated PC, CAPS or server. IME the quality of the sources is almost as important as the DAC at least with USB. 

May be we should take this conversation somewhere else before Amos…

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #1,092 of 2,635

If the network renderer is not working my guess is MSB will fix it for you and I would be very interested in reading the review on the difference in SQ.

Dan what sources do you connect the MSB to? I mean do you use a dedicated PC, CAPS or server. IME the quality of the sources is almost as important as the DAC at least with USB. 

May be we should take this conversation somewhere else before Amos…

Only the quad is mine, the network renderer belonged to the dealer from Romania. I am not sure when they will receive a new one.

I use a PC, but I used this tweak for a while now and it really improved the sound by a lot. 

Meanwhile I got a sotm usb card, which improved the sound again (review coming soon). Also got a schiit wyrd which I use as LPS for the sotm card for now. 

All these tweaks reflected quite nicely in the sound quality.

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #1,093 of 2,635

I use a Pink Faun I2S converter. I should have mentioned that.

The Master 7 is very neutral and MSB users will call it flat and "dead". I agree that the MSB Analogue is clearer and more precise as I notice the presentation of the sound source to be closer and more focused, however, not by much. I don't really understand or subscribe to the word refined as that is very subjective.

The MSB does exegerate the mid-mids and the mid-highs, which I do like, however, I could also achieve that with an appropriate filter or EQ.

The MSB Diamond is a different league for sure, and it is something I am looking forward to when my system is more mature and finances are less of a concern. As for the MSB Analogue, the price difference between the MSB Analogue and the Master 7+9 is far better spent on upgrading speakers or filters - so unless someone already has their end-game speakers, one wouldn't be upgrading from the M7+9. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #1,094 of 2,635
  I use a Pink Faun I2S converter. I should have mentioned that.

The Master 7 is very neutral and MSB users will call it flat and "dead". I agree that the MSB Analogue is clearer and more precise as I notice the presentation of the sound source to be closer and more focused, however, not by much. I don't really understand or subscribe to the word refined as that is very subjective.

The MSB does exegerate the mid-mids and the mid-highs, which I do like, however, I could also achieve that with an appropriate filter or EQ.

The MSB Diamond is a different league for sure, and it is something I am looking forward to when my system is more mature and finances are less of a concern. As for the MSB Analogue, the price difference between the MSB Analogue and the Master 7+9 is far better spent on upgrading speakers or filters - so unless someone already has their end-game speakers, one wouldn't be upgrading from the M7+9. 

Haha very interesting that you think that the MSB is exaggerating the mid-mids and the mid-highs. I think the opposite that the Master 7 is a bit recessed in this region. I also found a cure that worked great for me. It was to use an ACSS cable between the M7 and M9 and HQPlayer software. Not the AGD ACSS cable thought, as it is to sterile sounded IMO.

I do think that both the MSB Analog and the M7 + OR5 (HDMI) belong in the musical and pleasing sound category and share some, but not all overall character. The MSB Diamond has another type of presentation that is more neutral, technical and less forgiving.

In other words the MSB Diamond can sound really great with the right setup and records, BUT is pickier. If I had one I would pair it with some good tube amp, the same with Linn Klimax DS.

The more refined the less artificial artifacts and grainy sound. The M7 with USB is grainier and have more strident treble (artificial artifacts) than the MSB Analog and M7 + OR5 (HDMI), it's the most obvious improvement the OR5 I2S brings to the sound IMHO. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #1,095 of 2,635
I prefer active speakers with active crossovers, as such, I wouldnt use a preamp for the MSB as the MSB has their own volume control. The manufacturer for my speakers recommended a direct pairing with the MSB and I'm guessing he built the speakers with MSB as the reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back