Audio-GD Master 9
Jun 5, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #1,051 of 2,563
Regarding Yggdrasil I am not 100% certain that it will be very soon but it most likely will be because I would still be interested to see what changes it brings maybe auralic vega is a little too clinical and not musical enough... But m9 is just amazing ith how it can push dynamics!

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #1,053 of 2,563
  Am i the only one here who finds the master 9 very lackluster or ball-less with the HD800 and LCD3. 

I've not heard the Master9, but out of interest what amplifier would you comparatively see less "lackluster or ball-less with the HD800 and LCD3"?

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #1,054 of 2,563
  Am i the only one here who finds the master 9 very lackluster or ball-less with the HD800 and LCD3. 

Do you mean that you would want more energy in the sound? Is it a new unit? Are you using the single ended output? What DAC are you using with it?

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #1,055 of 2,563
I used the balanced

Hmm, So far for totl ones, the Goldmund is pretty amazing, but its been sometime.

The most recent is the mjollnir with the HD800, it still felt lackluster but butter than the master 9. Maybe its their yulong dac. 

I had really high hopes for the Master 9, but damn, that felt abit of a let down.

One thing that felt really weird for me was how un-engaging the master 9 felt with the HD800, and even with the LCD3. Ill be trying it again next week with my own dac.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #1,056 of 2,563
  I used the balanced

Hmm, So far for totl ones, the Goldmund is pretty amazing, but its been sometime.

The most recent is the mjollnir with the HD800, it still felt lackluster but butter than the master 9. Maybe its their yulong dac. 

I had really high hopes for the Master 9, but damn, that felt abit of a let down.

One thing that felt really weird for me was how un-engaging the master 9 felt with the HD800, and even with the LCD3. Ill be trying it again next week with my own dac.

I had similar impressions at first, before it broke in. M9 is very transparent and true to the source. My HD800 rock on on m9 right now, but had to change some cables downstream. I know that a lot of people don't believe in cables, but my experience showed me otherwise. 

M9's sound changes easily with different power chords. I found some power chords that really dulled the sound down. I do have a dull cable on it right now, because I had to move the more energetic cable on the speaker amp, until I get a new one for M9 as well. 

With ps audio for example, the ac5 , m9 sounds bassy even with hd800, but lacks tactility, energy, attack, quite a bit, and it wasn't the only cable that did that.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #1,057 of 2,563
I don't have the Master-9 but do use the Master-6 with the HD800's and LCD2.2's and it is anything but lackluster. I find it a very exciting, energetic and engaging especially with the HD800's.

I certainly would not expect the M9 to be any different.

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #1,058 of 2,563
I agree with Dan the M9 is true to the source and will differ in sound depending on source and cables. 

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #1,059 of 2,563
Same here. I never had an amp which was so sensitive to cables. I changed from NBS-cables to Purist Audio and got a much smoother but little more lifeless sound. The Master 9 gives me the opportunity to tune up the sound-characteristics of my system. It is that transparent and neutral!

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #1,061 of 2,563
  I just noticed there is a Master 9   special HE-6 custom version being offered by Audio-gd.

Is this old news??

It's been there for a while. It has higher gain than the normal one. I am just not a big fan of solving a problem by throwing gain at it. It could make IEMs and more sensitive headphones have background noise, and provide little advantage to the HE-6s.

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #1,063 of 2,563
  How about the HE9.  Is it better than the Master 9 or just different?

HE9 as I understand it is Master 9 + Regenerative Power

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #1,065 of 2,563

Does it sound any better????

Audio-gd have said it themselves, the price difference is fairly big (1550 vs 2399) but the difference in sound quality is not as much.

There have been a few short first impressions about HE9 claiming it's a really rather amazing headphone amp can drive HE-6 much better than Ragnarok, but due to problems discussed earlier in this thread, there have been problems and the person (negura) decided to return it and is now on Ragnarok...

But trust me, there are people who go from an amp to amp, I'm really content with Master 9, I doubt it can get any better, at all... This is why I'm not changing it, it's my end game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back