Audio-GD Master 9
Apr 19, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #976 of 2,635
  Anyone here try AGD's power regulator HE350? I was thinking of getting one but there are many cheaper options it seems. 

EDIT: NM, the cheaper options I'm looking at are all filters and not regenerators. 

In contrast to a former post stating that the regenerator PowerInspired AG500 does not match with the M9, I would recommend it. A friend of mine has this combination and I have heard it. It works very well, opens the stage and reveals more details. It is also reasonably priced.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #977 of 2,635
  Hi Show, 

Were you using any type of power supply before the PS Audio P3? 

No. Yes. And no.

I tried running them off batteries (solar generators) that were no longer needed. I then moved the system when I moved homes. Ran it off a massive UPS. I suppose that's the same as the solar panels as they were both running from the batteries which were flat DC current. This neuters the music. 

I then used a power conditioner (Isotek Polaris) which made very discreet difference. I managed to pick up the difference on a select few tracks, and even then, I have to stop listening to the music an just be a critic. No, the power conditioner was not a worthwhile investment. 

Anyone here try AGD's power regulator HE350? I was thinking of getting one but there are many cheaper options it seems. 

EDIT: NM, the cheaper options I'm looking at are all filters and not regenerators. 

I contemplated getting the HE350, however, there were a few issues that made me choose the P3 over the HE350. When I first set out to get a power regenerator, I looked at AGD first but later decided against it for a few reasons. I'll list them in order of significance. Here in Australia, the HE350 and the P3 costs the same (after delivery).

• Assymetrical shape and not uniform with the rest of the AGD on the rack. The P3 has the same width and corner curvature, albeit a different finish.
  • The HE350 is new in the lineup and there has been issues with the HE line in general, requiring return to base. The freight cost is absorbed by AGD but time and hassle isn't.
  • Input and output wattage display. Very handy to know how much power is being fed in into the regenerator and how much it is being used.

I would like to see Kingwa design a 430mm wide power regenerator that also serves as the power on/off for the entire system plugged into it, and off course be able to power the Master 2 from it as well. Doesn't help that the HE-2 doesn't ship overseas.

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #978 of 2,635
I'm planning to get an LCDX or LCD3 in the near future. Which one has a better synergy with the M9?

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #979 of 2,635
  I'm planning to get an LCDX or LCD3 in the near future. Which one has a better synergy with the M9?

From what I know, Master 9 is supposed to be perfect for every headphone.
You should pick whichever headphone you like better, and let Master 9 do its transparent magic.

As for me, my Magic begins in a one weeks time apparently XD hopefully...

edit: Based on tracking it says "despatch from sorting center" on 21.04.15 (sorry for date you amerika-jin folks) at 00:27
so based on that time - I'm thinking it will be in Israel sometime tomorrow or maybe thursday/friday, if it gets here on thursday there's a good chance I'm picking it up on sunday (work day here) or monday... :wink:

I'm so excited ^_^

Apr 27, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #980 of 2,635
Good news, Master 9 is in Israel, in Customs atm, will have it I think on Wednesday.

The bad news are that the XLR cable that the dealer sent me is still not here, sadly....

So I will have to use RCA for now, very carefully...

Edit: Maybe tomorrow - stay tuned for reviews :p

Edit2: Today is the delivery, so :p

Edit3: :wink:

Edit4:

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #981 of 2,635

In contrast to a former post stating that the regenerator PowerInspired AG500 does not match with the M9, I would recommend it. A friend of mine has this combination and I have heard it. It works very well, opens the stage and reveals more details. It is also reasonably priced.

Nice suggestion, I've been reading about it. 

I also stumbled upon the Monarchy AC regenerator. Read a few reviews stating it worked well and was pretty inexpensive. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #982 of 2,635
Hi Vampire, 

I see your headphones connected via SE out on M9. Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread, but you will benefit greatly from using the balanced out. Sounds better with less noise, expecially with planar headphones like LCD. 

congratulations!

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #983 of 2,635
  Hi Vampire, 

I see your headphones connected via SE out on M9. Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread, but you will benefit greatly from using the balanced out. Sounds better with less noise, expecially with planar headphones like LCD. 

congratulations!

Thanks mate, the interconnects are also RCA(SE) from Vega which is a balanced DAC to Master 9 which is a Balanced Amp.... and my LCD-3's are being returned from RMA as we speak with new drivers and fazors so I will have it in a couple more days. So right now I'm connecting my HD700, can you believe a solid state tames the highs better than a tube amp? :p

The dealer sent me XLR cables, they're already in Israel, but weekends keep screwing me over and over, well at least that wasn't the case with the Master 9 XD

May 9, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #984 of 2,635
  Good news, Master 9 is in Israel, in Customs atm, will have it I think on Wednesday.

The bad news are that the XLR cable that the dealer sent me is still not here, sadly....

So I will have to use RCA for now, very carefully...

Edit: Maybe tomorrow - stay tuned for reviews :p

Edit2: Today is the delivery, so :p

Edit3: :wink:

Edit4:

Bueller?..........Bueller?...............................Bueller?.................

May 9, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #985 of 2,635
May 10, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #987 of 2,635

It's from a movie. Just looking for your opinions on your new Master 9. You have been posting so enthusiastically for the last month trying to get one, but after it shows up, you have nothing to say. Did you post impressions somewhere else?

Oh yes, sorry, I'm enjoying it a lot, and still enjoying the clearly palpable burn-in, whether it's mental or also mechanical/electronic burn-in.

I've also already got the XLR interconnects, and they work great, at first like I thought the whole balanced  part of the chain wasn't burned-in and it does indeed sound somewhat different.

I've also posted my early impressions at first with the HD700: http://www.head-fi.org/t/612502/sennheiser-hd-700-impressions-thread/3615#post_11558795

Well I've found my end-game amp for sure, the problem with it atm though is that because I've also got my LCD-3 when I had them they were 3C now after RMA they've changed it to 3F, so they take less power to reach high volume, and that's not very easy for such a powerful amp, so I'm working around 15-40 TOPS with this on low gain on Balanced of course....

May 10, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #988 of 2,635

Oh yes, sorry, I'm enjoying it a lot, and still enjoying the clearly palpable burn-in, whether it's mental or also mechanical/electronic burn-in.

I've also already got the XLR interconnects, and they work great, at first like I thought the whole balanced  part of the chain wasn't burned-in and it does indeed sound somewhat different.

I've also posted my early impressions at first with the HD700: http://www.head-fi.org/t/612502/sennheiser-hd-700-impressions-thread/3615#post_11558795

Well I've found my end-game amp for sure, the problem with it atm though is that because I've also got my LCD-3 when I had them they were 3C now after RMA they've changed it to 3F, so they take less power to reach high volume, and that's not very easy for such a powerful amp, so I'm working around 15-40 TOPS with this on low gain on Balanced of course....

That's great to hear! I have been looking at the Master 9 to go with my LCD-2.2 (pre-fazor) and my Yulong DA8 for a fully balanced rig. I have a feeling that the Master 9/DA8 combo would be very versatile in that they should make the LCD-2 sound incredible, but also do well if I wanted to get into some HD800 or HE-560 further down the road.

May 10, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #989 of 2,635

That's great to hear! I have been looking at the Master 9 to go with my LCD-2.2 (pre-fazor) and my Yulong DA8 for a fully balanced rig. I have a feeling that the Master 9/DA8 combo would be very versatile in that they should make the LCD-2 sound incredible, but also do well if I wanted to get into some HD800 or HE-560 further down the road.

Right now I'm somewhat tempted by the Yggdrasil to be honest, like I said at another point that as an addition to my system, not instead of the Vega, I wonder how it will sound with Master 9, based on Ragnarok vs Master 9 even on specs, sure, Ragnarok might be more versatile in terms of features like speaker amp + a bit more power. But on terms of power, sure it might be more powerful, but then we've got the Full Class A power on the Master 9 + Current mode the other specs for distortion are better it seems than Ragnarok.

You should keep notice - Master 9 is a very transparent amp like everyone else said, to make it more clear - every headphone will sound very different from one another and that will be very apparent. Every recording will be different from one another, and that will be very apparent, everything is very clear and you can hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back