Audio-GD Master 9
Apr 6, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #961 of 2,563

So - you are saying that good XLR cables sound better than audio-gd's ACSS?  

How did the Double Helix cable come out then?

Out of the few kinds I tried I thought Cullen Cable, Nordost, and Chord all sounded better than agd ACSS. The double helix should be arriving in about 2-3 weeks. I'll give some impressions after a listen. 

Edit: I also tried some cheaper cables like Hosea midi cables and Schiit cables but those did not sound as good as ACSS. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #962 of 2,563
  Out of the few kinds I tried I thought Cullen Cable, Nordost, and Chord all sounded better than agd ACSS. The double helix should be arriving in about 2-3 weeks. I'll give some impressions after a listen. 

Edit: I also tried some cheaper cables like Hosea midi cables and Schiit cables but those did not sound as good as ACSS. 

I have the DHC Chaperone 3, you sure are in for a treat.

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #963 of 2,563
The differences between ACSS and XLR are the sound levels but I would be hard put to tell if one was better than the other.  SE v Balanced, I think there is a more of a difference but once again different sound levels.  I dont have M9   but the Ref 10.32 which is close I presume.

Sounds fantastic tho!

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #964 of 2,563
Has anyone tried the the Dual XLR outputs vs the 4 pin XLR? Is there any difference?

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #965 of 2,563
  Has anyone tried the the Dual XLR outputs vs the 4 pin XLR? Is there any difference?

Tyll Hertsens, who introduced the dual 3-pin XLR have kind of publicly asked forgiveness from headfidom for doing so. 4-pin will serve you just as good. 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf-2014-showstopper-sonys-proposed-new-industry-standard-headphone-plugs

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #966 of 2,563
If you want to split hairs the dual 3 pin xlr are wired directly and the 4 pin xlr and trs are wired from the dual 3 pin sockets. Dual 3 pin has more variety of pretty looking high emd connectors and can use individual cable runs without looking like an afterthought which is easier to make. Nothing inherently wrong with dual 3 pin just makes everything more expensive.

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #967 of 2,563
If you want to split hairs the dual 3 pin xlr are wired directly and the 4 pin xlr and trs are wired from the dual 3 pin sockets. Dual 3 pin has more variety of pretty looking high emd connectors and can use individual cable runs without looking like an afterthought which is easier to make. Nothing inherently wrong with dual 3 pin just makes everything more expensive.

They should have made an XLR with Single Ended option though like in many other amplifiers. Since this amp has plenty of power to drive multiple headphones with no problems.

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #968 of 2,563

They should have made an XLR with Single Ended option though like in many other amplifiers. Since this amp has plenty of power to drive multiple headphones with no problems.

Very true. Then they could have replaced the TRS with another 4-pin - so you could run rwo 4-pins as well. 

Hey  - that'd be something you can custom order! 
dt880smile.png

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #969 of 2,563
I've been using the Master 9 for about 6 months now as part of my main rig alongside the Master 7. Recent addition of a PS Audio P3 Power Regen has really made quite a leap improvement in the SQ. It is also a big plus that the P3 has the same width and corner curvature as the M9 so it looks great on my spider rack.

The improvements are very evident when I the old LCD-2.1. These are one of the darkest sounding headphones in my collection (and I have a pair of Beyer T1s which are often considered overly bright). There is absolutely no darkness left in the sound and the mids are just so effortless. It also amplifies the highs a little (does not extend the frequency range). Previously, some tracks with faint background symbals weren't audible with the LCD-2.1, only noticeable with the HD800 and T1.

Thought I'd just share my little change in the set up. It was a worthwhile endeavour for me.

Currently
Power - PS Audio P3
Source - PC JRMC 20 and occasionally through laptop (they sound different. Laptop clearly sounds worse, not sure why)
DAC - Audio GD master 7
Amp - Audio GD master 9
Cabling - Audio GD new-type ACSS. Stock power cables.

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #970 of 2,563
  I've been using the Master 9 for about 6 months now as part of my main rig alongside the Master 7. Recent addition of a PS Audio P3 Power Regen has really made quite a leap improvement in the SQ. It is also a big plus that the P3 has the same width and corner curvature as the M9 so it looks great on my spider rack.

The improvements are very evident when I the old LCD-2.1. These are one of the darkest sounding headphones in my collection (and I have a pair of Beyer T1s which are often considered overly bright). There is absolutely no darkness left in the sound and the mids are just so effortless. It also amplifies the highs a little (does not extend the frequency range). Previously, some tracks with faint background symbals weren't audible with the LCD-2.1, only noticeable with the HD800 and T1.

Thought I'd just share my little change in the set up. It was a worthwhile endeavour for me.

Currently
Power - PS Audio P3
Source - PC JRMC 20 and occasionally through laptop (they sound different. Laptop clearly sounds worse, not sure why)
DAC - Audio GD master 7
Amp - Audio GD master 9

Yes I also think that it is important to give the AGD and other gear as pure power as possible.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #972 of 2,563
Originally Posted by Show /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Currently
Power - PS Audio P3
DAC - Audio GD master 7
Amp - Audio GD master 9

Hi Show, 

Were you using any type of power supply before the PS Audio P3? 

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #974 of 2,563
  Subscribed.

What's that for? You can also say something beside subscribe, and what you did right now is against the rules of the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back