Audio-GD Master 9
Dec 6, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #691 of 2,560
  Hey guys, 

I got my M9 about a week ago and I'm really enjoying it. REALLY enjoying it. Have it paired with NFB11 atm and it sounds great already. I tried it with everything I could including DX90, three CD players, 2 AV receivers, even DVD players. Makes all equipment sound better! With NFB11 M9 introduces deeper faster controlled bass, smoother treble, thicker mid and sounds cleaner more controlled overall. I can already tell some of my music that was sibiliant before simply has more air and extension without that treble harshness. This is a nice amp and I feel like Audio gd is a good company with great QC and attention to detail. Kingwa answers all my nagging questions promptly. I can't even imagine the sound quality once I pair the M9 with M7 or maybe Yggy. After that the list introduces a power amp from Audio gd to pair with some speakers! The only thing that threw me off about the M9 was the size. It is large.

Thank you for the thread and the impressions everyone!

You think the Master 9 is large.  Wait until you get one of his Master series speaker amps - Whew..   Now the (2015) versions should be even heavier - he's adding more transformers (looks like) to the power supplies.  These things are Very large and heavy as schiit..

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #692 of 2,560

You think the Master 9 is large.  Wait until you get one of his Master series speaker amps - Whew..   Now the (2015) versions should be even heavier - he's adding more transformers (looks like) to the power supplies.  These things are Very large and heavy as schiit..

When the DHL guy rang the doorbell and I saw the giant box next to him with the Audio gd logo I was speechless for a few seconds. Stood there drooling while he handed me the signature device. I didn't check the dimensions and assumed it was going to be a little wider than NFB28, but it turns out the M9 is a proportionately square block with sides measuring 1.5 ft! I'm going to build a special cabinet for it. 

Just looked at the M2 specs, basically two M9's stacked and wider! But I already have a perfect place for it in the entertainment center :)

Do you know if it's OK to stack the M9 on top of M7 with some clearnace? I was going to take the stock feet off the M9 and attach some speaker spikes. I have 1" and 2", the 1" would look aesthetically better but I don't know if it's enough for heat dissipation. Or is it not recommended at all to stack one over the other? I can ask Kingwa but I feel bad for the guy; over the last week his inbox has been flooded with my M7 questions.

I'm currently listening to some CD rips of the hollywood records Queen masters, a little Minutemen cd rips, 24/96 LA Woman, and the Japanese reissues of Genesis. I love rediscovering my favorite music with a headphone system. There are details I never notice with speakers and the M9 is very resolving without coldness or harshness to the sound. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #693 of 2,560
I apologize for the rambling but a word for noobs like me who read this and are considering blowing some money on fidelity audio: 

I've read plenty of posts over the past year that claim amps/dacs make little difference in sound and it's the headphone that matters. While true the headphone matters most, speaking from personal experience, the amp makes a huge impact on the sound of your headphones. Experience it for yourself. It's not snake oil.

Also, if you're a noob like me and folks are telling you to start off small and inexpensive then later on move on to bigger and better things, this is just a waste of money. A lot of the gears I bought previously are now unused. My advice is to get what you want to get, just make sure it will be something you like. There is no point in moving up the ladder like a video game, beginner, intermediate, advanced. Get the advanced gears and you will actually save money down the line. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #694 of 2,560
  A lot of the gears I bought previously are now unused. My advice is to get what you want to get, just make sure it will be something you like. There is no point in moving up the ladder like a video game, beginner, intermediate, advanced. Get the advanced gears and you will actually save money down the line. 

This is a good idea, but probably leading to spend always the most.

I'm subject to this kind of thinking and I'm always lost as soon as it is cool, nice, fancy, overwhelming, … thats tough for instance.

Sorry for your wallet. That's what I've read when I've registered. Here we go :).

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #695 of 2,560
Do you know if it's OK to stack the M9 on top of M7 with some clearnace? I was going to take the stock feet off the M9 and attach some speaker spikes. I have 1" and 2", the 1" would look aesthetically better but I don't know if it's enough for heat dissipation. Or is it not recommended at all to stack one over the other? I can ask Kingwa but I feel bad for the guy; over the last week his inbox has been flooded with my M7 questions.

I recommened you to not stack them on top of each other, they'll get very hot, like almost close to burning your hand. Kingwa states to not cover the vents.

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #697 of 2,560
I picked the M7+9 after auditioning them against the Vega+Taurus namely for a few reasons but primarily boiled down to one, a remote control. The Taurus does not have one and when you have about 10 feet of distance between seat and amp, well, it is required. 

The sound signature is also more neutral on the 9, some say it can sound a tad cold. The Taurus has a more universally appreciable colouration. For the audition, I used the most recent Audeze LCD-3 (Fazored). The Audeze themselves had a coloured presentation, that presentation was compounded.

I've also learnt, after I bought the M9, the ACSS termination used by Audio GD is a single gain output and only the current changes. This means no voltage gain related distortion, and no fiddling with gain modes between my headphones. It does a fine job powering anything from Audio Technica phones to HifiMan HE-6. 

I should include that most of my headphones are planars/high imp. Both these amps are more than capable of powering my array of phones. I strongly believe that both are very capable amps and I was splitting hairs by the end of my search (which boiled down to the two). 

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #698 of 2,560
After reading the 146 pages on Master 7 thread and 47 pages on Master 9 thread, I believe I couldn't go wrong with Master 7&9 combo. But it is a little beyond my budget. Anyone try to compare Master 7 with NFB-7 or NFB-1 (2015)? They are cheaper alternatives but not as good as Master 7 (from what I read). I don't even see NFB-7 or NFB-1 in Purrin's list... Maybe I should ask this in Master 7 thread instead.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #699 of 2,560
  After reading the 146 pages on Master 7 thread and 47 pages on Master 9 thread, I believe I couldn't go wrong with Master 7&9 combo. But it is a little beyond my budget. Anyone try to compare Master 7 with NFB-7 or NFB-1 (2015)? They are cheaper alternatives but not as good as Master 7 (from what I read). I don't even see NFB-7 or NFB-1 in Purrin's list... Maybe I should ask this in Master 7 thread instead.

I'm thinking about the NFB-7 as well.  I use the Master 10 with the Master 7 now.  Great pair, I call it neutral to a tad bit on the warm side.  So I'm thinking the NFB-7 will bring it back to neutral to a tad bit on the bright airy side.

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #700 of 2,560

I'm thinking about the NFB-7 as well.  I use the Master 10 with the Master 7 now.  Great pair, I call it neutral to a tad bit on the warm side.  So I'm thinking the NFB-7 will bring it back to neutral to a tad bit on the bright airy side.

I think replacing the Master 7 with the NFB-7 would not give you the improvements that you're seeking and in fact it would be a downgrade.  In order to get better transparency and more air, I would replace the Master 10 with the Master 9.  Just as in dan.gheoghe's review of the Audio GD Precision 2, the Master 9 produced a larger soundstage, greater dynamics and transparency than its more powerful sibling.  Yes you give up some power but you get a better amp for headphone listening even with the power hungary HE6.  Even though the Master 10 is a better amp than the Precision 2, I think you are hearing a similar effect that Dan heard when he compared the P2 to the M9.  If you asked Kingwa, I think he would tell you the same.  Just my 2 cents.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #701 of 2,560
Naw, I disagree this time Steve.  I love the fullness of the Master 10.  I would have kept the F1J in that case.  The Master 9 can't come close to the Master 10 (with the HE-6) maybe with other headphones. Going to the Master 9 from the Master 10 would be a downgrade for sure - again just for the HE-6.  

The Master 9 I heard with a pair of HE-6s was just to lean and on the bright side for me.  I didn't like that pairing at all.  You can really tell the difference between his headphone amps and his Master Series speaker amps.  

So the Master 10 is a solid amp for the HE-6 - Plus I'm having the Master 10 upgraded to the Master 10 (2015).  Talking to Kingwa he said the improvements are not that much but I can expect a little more air and a slightly more open soundstage.  

Maybe the NFB-7 is not the answer.  Maybe I have to really upgrade to something like the Berkeley Alpha Dac.  I don't want to spend that much money tho.  

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #702 of 2,560
Naw, I disagree this time Steve.  I love the fullness of the Master 10.  I would have kept the F1J in that case.  The Master 9 can't come close to the Master 10 (with the HE-6) maybe with other headphones. Going to the Master 9 from the Master 10 would be a downgrade for sure - again just for the HE-6.  

The Master 9 I heard with a pair of HE-6s was just to lean and on the bright side for me.  I didn't like that pairing at all.  You can really tell the difference between his headphone amps and his Master Series speaker amps.  

So the Master 10 is a solid amp for the HE-6 - Plus I'm having the Master 10 upgraded to the Master 10 (2015).  Talking to Kingwa he said the improvements are not that much but I can expect a little more air and a slightly more open soundstage.  

Maybe the NFB-7 is not the answer.  Maybe I have to really upgrade to something like the Berkeley Alpha Dac.  I don't want to spend that much money tho.  

The M9/HE6 is anything but lean and bright using my Bricasti M1 as the source.

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #705 of 2,560

Or maybe wait for the Yggdrasil. Shouldn't be too long now 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back