Audio-GD Master 9
Jan 21, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #2,341 of 2,635
I was testing this DAW interface, which I also use as a DAC(Foobar2000, gaming, discord...). It is very good with the built in headphone amps. I am still in the break-in periode so I know the headphone outs will get better.
Screenshot (2).png

I connected it to the HE-9 LE with the cheapest cables(3meters TRS-XLR). I am overwhelmed how good this interface sounds through the HE-9 LE.

It opened up in every direction and feels like a much bigger sound without loosing the focus.

Not going to go off topic because this interface is soo good sounding, but here to say that HE-9 LE made such a difference I felt like the interface got 5times more expensive than its original price. Not judging the built-in headamps yet cause they need a good break-in.

Feb 5, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #2,342 of 2,635
Anyone compare master9 or he9 to holo bliss?

Feb 5, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #2,343 of 2,635
Anyone compare master9 or he9 to holo bliss?
You want a comparison between which HE9? - HE9 LE or HE9 MK3---or the one in your signature

The HE9 LE is 1000Euro cheaper and the HE9 MK3 is 400 euro cheaper than the Bliss.

From what I have heard, the bliss is not the same and might have more character than HE9 LE. One I know like the bliss very much on low volume listening because it has tube-like sound at this volume level.

Feb 5, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #2,344 of 2,635
You want a comparison between which HE9? - HE9 LE or HE9 MK3---or the one in your signature

The HE9 LE is 1000Euro cheaper and the HE9 MK3 is 400 euro cheaper than the Bliss.

From what I have heard, the bliss is not the same and might have more character than HE9 LE. One I know like the bliss very much on low volume listening because it has tube-like sound at this volume level.
Any of those amps vs bliss

Feb 6, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #2,345 of 2,635
Well I can say that HE-9 LE is so good it has beat the internal headphone amps on all the dacs I have tried on it. It does not bottleneck.

Feb 6, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #2,346 of 2,635

I'm more interested in:
RH8 or 7-HE with HE9 LE vs

#May or Spring/Bliss
#Deluxe/Silver Fox
#all Ferrum
#combos with something like Pasithea/Wavelight/Matrix X2 pure + US5/vio550/394ll/CFA3 (SS no tubes)

anyways... since nobody could ever give a meaningful enough "what to buy or not" answer, I'll be waiting what DAC GS will announce next month...

Feb 6, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #2,347 of 2,635
I'm more interested in:
RH8 or 7-HE with HE9 LE vs

#May or Spring/Bliss
#Deluxe/Silver Fox
#all Ferrum
#combos with something like Pasithea/Wavelight/Matrix X2 pure + US5/vio550/394ll/CFA3 (SS no tubes)

anyways... since nobody could ever give a meaningful enough "what to buy or not" answer, I'll be waiting what DAC GS will announce next month...
I think you should take the Deluxe/Silver Fox out of the comparison. It is pure DSD afaik. It also upscale the input signal if I remember correctly. I know a couple of people who really like the Deluxe.

The Ferrums/Matrix are Deltas.

---

On deltas you hear everything and every layer is equally perfect. You don´t on R8H2 or R1N. Every layer plays more independently and some harmonies/melodies is not as obvious(pronounced), which on deltas can take the attention away of the music in a sense of "wow" - away from the music enjoyment, because the deltas are very precise, and does not hide anything.

The same melodies/phrases(in EDM/Dance) you have to listen for and find them in R8H2 or R1N, the details are there but not emphasized like on deltas.

En example:

The underlying melody(response to the higher pitched melody) is not noticeable/pronounced in the same way like it is on a delta, even the melody plays in a different tune on delta. When it comes to these types of music Audio-gd can not follow deltas performance, even though it may sound very good indeed.

What music do you listen to that is the question`?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #2,348 of 2,635
give a meaningful enough "what to buy or not" answer

What music do you listen to that is the question`?
well I might have been wrong... because the what type of music question is in my opinion the most important by far and mostley missing. Maybe best to start there.

The DS or R2R or DSD type of DAC should be most important also... as long as one hasn´t bought and sold a lot of gear over many years, like many active members on here.

Funny I was leaning towards cen.grand combo but took back my downpayment on the DAC and also came to the conclusion SF won´t be it for me.

Music wise I always have the salt shaker plus 3 lenses on hand when reading reviews/impressions and such, because of the regular audiophile´s music of choice... you know "real audiophile music"

I could say I listen to EDM but I actually don´t ever see the type of electronica I listen to mentioned on regular audophile´s posts. Another reason I don´t use streaming services because I don´t find it there, so I just buy files.

Anyways... interesting take on your comparison between R2R and DS... (maybe goes in the same direction like my conclusion to go for SS amps first... tubes later on)

Waiting for GS/Ferrum soon to be announced DAC and probably get a cheaper R2R like R1N or Cyan2 to compliment (DS+SS) source gear and get a feeling for NOS type of presentation.

AGD would have price, connectivity, ACSS, clock option as pro so I was wandering if RH9-LE could be a nice improvement over Oor... but seems not too many SS HP amps will be "much better" anyways...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-end-game-solid-state-amplifier-master-list.968336/

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #2,349 of 2,635
well I might have been wrong... because the what type of music question is in my opinion the most important by far and mostley missing. Maybe best to start there.

The DS or R2R or DSD type of DAC should be most important also... as long as one hasn´t bought and sold a lot of gear over many years, like many active members on here.

Funny I was leaning towards cen.grand combo but took back my downpayment on the DAC and also came to the conclusion SF won´t be it for me.

Music wise I always have the salt shaker plus 3 lenses on hand when reading reviews/impressions and such, because of the regular audiophile´s music of choice... you know "real audiophile music"

I could say I listen to EDM but I actually don´t ever see the type of electronica I listen to mentioned on regular audophile´s posts. Another reason I don´t use streaming services because I don´t find it there, so I just buy files.

Anyways... interesting take on your comparison between R2R and DS... (maybe goes in the same direction like my conclusion to go for SS amps first... tubes later on)

Waiting for GS/Ferrum soon to be announced DAC and probably get a cheaper R2R like R1N or Cyan2 to compliment (DS+SS) source gear and get a feeling for NOS type of presentation.

AGD would have price, connectivity, ACSS, clock option as pro so I was wandering if RH9-LE could be a nice improvement over Oor... but seems not too many SS HP amps will be "much better" anyways...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-end-game-solid-state-amplifier-master-list.968336/
Depends on what you want in an amp. The he9 mkiii/le have the pass-through approach with a hint of warmth. You will hear your source on your headphone. They are the most transparent and dynamic audio-gd has ever made IMO. It is a non fatiguing sound too.

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #2,350 of 2,635

Let me say that HE-9 LE will blow the OOR out of the water…catch it pull it back again look it deeply into its eyes and sent it to another galaxy…

Have not tried hypsos, however still believe its not enough to even compete with HE-9 LE.

This is what I will recommend.

Get the HE-9 LE. If it does not better the built-in headphone amps on all dacs you try, feel free to contact me for selling it cheaper. I actually need one more😅

Get it start here. Forget dac purchase for now. It beats the built-in headphone amp of Chord TT2 noticeably.

You can add 5 dacs to it so you have plenty of time to use more money😅

I use three dacs on mine and have 2 free outputs/RCA.

My SSL12(DAC/Interface) have the worst cables TRS-XLR(balanced) and 3 meters. The sound is at a level it multiplies its value in sound vs its price. If you have a computer and you want the best gamer/discord dac. This sounds shockingly not like the usual ESS based dacs to my ears….ESS9080. I was convinced to myself it was AKM/Burr Brown

Feb 7, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #2,351 of 2,635
It is a wrong place to ask questions, as Audio GD DAC is a trap. Once you got it you stop researching. Users are no gaining more experience, maybe except @OCC7N. :)

There are better devices on the market, but a price is much higher.

I don't fully understand your primary question, particularly whether it is about DAC or a HP. I think you need to try NOS DAC first. It is like looking at the world with your naked eyes. Not perfect on a distant objects, but you can decide in a good clear weather whether you prefer real binoculars or a visor of your digital camera. The later is smoothing dominant contours like noise shaped Delta-Sigma smoothing dominant tones. Filtering technology is actually the same, so I think comparison is accurate.

Adding the amp to the DS DAC is much easier than NOS R2R. The later require Class A non-feedback design, many opamp based work better with a smoothed sound. But Audio GD amps work well with all sources, so there is no concern about what to buy first.

You are right, having the audiophile source is critical, as long there is something in nature to compare with. In other words computer generated music is not adequate as there is no comparison how it should really sound.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #2,352 of 2,635
Depends on what you want in an amp.
pretty sure some tube flavor later on (maybe a tube pre into SS), so a pass-through as baseline could make sense...
It is a wrong place to ask questions, as Audio GD DAC is a trap. Once you got it you stop researching.
Yeah, I can't convince myself that May/Pasithea/Wavelight are "better" or worth the extra.
There are better devices on the market, but a price is much higher.
Right, (unfortunately) no Dave, Tambaqui, DAC 200... non believer!
Again considering ext. clock and possibly "ACSS gains", DI20HE already on board... rack big enough and saving up a few months already, 2 or 3 more then sell X26pro/Hypsos+Oor
built-in headphone amps
Got SolP and if at all HA200 but use Loki Max so going for "more boxes" approach...
The later require Class A non-feedback design, many opamp based work better with a smoothed sound.
Dukei stopped building CFA3s so I cycle back to HE9-LE or Niimbus
Let me say that HE-9 LE will blow the OOR out of the water
That's what next amp must do!

Plus it should work for quite some years and if something "breaks" the company has to service that thing like T+A or Lake People, so Niimbus as a "save option". Hesitant on US gear.

How does Magna handle AGD devices? Fix them in house or send them to China?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #2,353 of 2,635
pretty sure some tube flavor later on (maybe a tube pre into SS), so a pass-through as baseline could make sense...

Yeah, I can't convince myself that May/Pasithea/Wavelight are "better" or worth the extra.

Right, (unfortunately) no Dave, Tambaqui, DAC 200... non believer!
Again considering ext. clock and possibly "ACSS gains", DI20HE already on board... rack big enough and saving up a few months already, 2 or 3 more then sell X26pro/Hypsos+Oor

Got SolP and if at all HA200 but use Loki Max so going for "more boxes" approach...

Dukei stopped building CFA3s so I cycle back to HE9-LE or Niimbus

That's what next amp must do!

Plus it should work for quite some years and if something "breaks" the company has to service that thing like T+A ot Lake People, so Niimbus as a "save option". Hesitant on US gear.

How does Magna handle AGD devices? Fix them in house or send them to China?
Wait a minute you already have some great things. Do you need more headphone power than the TA?

Please describe you current chain

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #2,354 of 2,635
You are right, having the audiophile source is critical, as long there is something in nature to compare with. In other words computer generated music is not adequate as there is no comparison how it should really sound.
Yeah, imagine how valuable all that "natural", like real instrument or what row in concert hall descriptions are to me.

I guess it's about quality of tone whatever initially exited the air/aether or produced the soundwave. In the end it's about the result of frequency within oneself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back