Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Aug 11, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #586 of 4,451
Quote:
My goal is total black background with total neutrality with total resolution and natural texture of the instruments, perfect layering and perfect 3d imaging/soundstage...

I don't care about colors harsh or warm..  

Since my Ref 7.1 is a Master 7 with different digital input section, I will say that they (Ref 7.1 and Master 7) are just what you are looking for.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #587 of 4,451
Hello all
I own the ref 10.32 DAC...amp combo . Will the master 7 play dsd direc or sacd iso image files.

Does anyone now how much of an improvement of the ref10.32 campared to master 7

Any thoughts would be help full

Al.d.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #588 of 4,451
Master 7 (and the Reference series DACs) uses the Burr Brown PCM1704UK DAC chip which is a R-2R / multibit type. This makes it unable to read DSD since it is based on (single) bit-stream.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #589 of 4,451
Some software packages will output PCM digital for a DSD signal e.g. Pure music on Mac

Macrog

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #592 of 4,451
Is there anyone out there that can perform the upgrade from Ref7.1 to M7 for me??????? I cant solder to save my life & aint got a clue where to even begin with this mod. I can't afford buying a new M7, when I have Ref7.1 .....

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #593 of 4,451
AFAIK there is no soldering needed to do the upgrade, but you are taking the risk when you do these kind of changes in the hardware.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #594 of 4,451
There will be soldering needed,

1. The supply lines routed from underneath into the digital pcb and the interfaces routed into the other 2 pcb.

2. The back panel needs to be replaced, for the additional i2S input you will be getting, so you will likely need to removed all connections for easy work, and a chance to replaced occ cables of your choice.

3. Input selector will need to solder a few resistors to allow additional selection.

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #595 of 4,451
Sorry! My impression was that it was more or less a solderfree job.

But it's not micro mini soldering points, is it?

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #596 of 4,451
Does anyone know what the dynamic range spec of the M7 is? Can't seem to find it anywhere on their website and I tried searching these forums... Thanks 
tongue_smile.gif

Edit: Datasheet for a single PCM1704 chip says up to 120 dB DR but I've also seen it mentioned that connecting these chips in parallel (as is done in the M7, 4 per channel) increases the DR.  

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #597 of 4,451
Quote:
AFAIK there is no soldering needed to do the upgrade, but you are taking the risk when you do these kind of changes in the hardware.

There is a lot of soldering job to do the upgrade... All the wires (input/output), bridges between the digital board and the analog moduls, the power socket, resistors etc. It's not that difficult but fiddly and you need a good soldering iron. Just shoot the pictures of every step while you disassemble your Ref 7.1. And if you make the upgrade I would recommend to replace the internal wiring completey (with silver).

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #598 of 4,451
Ok so

Forsell MADA dac versus Master 7 ??? :) 

for mixing/mastering?

need expert advice, anybody heard both?

--- 
on another note.. i've heard that the clock phase noise have less impact on r-2-r dac over delta sigma .. something about oversampling.. note sure.. anybody can comment..

If phase noise matter, Anybody tried the low phase crystek clock in the master 7 ? :)

http://www.crystek.com/home/crystek/featured.aspx?id=152

or better?

could kingwa create un ocxo clock upgrade to master 7 and would the result be of any impact in the sound?

ex. http://www.vectron.com/products/ocxo/ox-204.htm

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #599 of 4,451
The upgrade from Ref 7.1 to Master 7 took me quite a few hours, mainly because I take it slowly and the power input had to be rebuilt as the wires were glued in place and the internal power cable is horrible to work with.

aive: You need to ask Kingwa about the dynamic range. It isn't related to what the chip specs are at all.

Audiolic: Ask Kingwa about it. As fun as chasing possible upgrades are (I'd love one built with Caddock resistors, Nichicon caps and all that using ceramic boards) Kingwa did reckon he has taken the design as far as it will go.

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #600 of 4,451
Ok so

Forsell MADA dac versus Master 7 ??? :) 

for mixing/mastering?

need expert advice, anybody heard both?

--- 
on another note.. i've heard that the clock phase noise have less impact on r-2-r dac over delta sigma .. something about oversampling.. note sure.. anybody can comment..

If phase noise matter, Anybody tried the low phase crystek clock in the master 7 ? :)

http://www.crystek.com/home/crystek/featured.aspx?id=152

or better?

could kingwa create un ocxo clock upgrade to master 7 and would the result be of any impact in the sound?

ex. http://www.vectron.com/products/ocxo/ox-204.htm

A Buffalo32 build might be worth considering if you are interested in selecting the clock, power supply, digital inputs etc. i'm really hoping that a few more dac manufacturers experiment with dual Sabre dacs eg Yulong D8 and Invicta Mirus. I think I might just need to save my pennies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back