Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Jul 28, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #571 of 4,451
Quote:
I agree with the sound description of Invicta, but maybe I haven't heard too many Sabre DACs. Other Sabre DAC I heard was Calyx 24/192.
Not adding bass or not enough bass is a very fine line though. We never know what the original recording is like. All we know (or all I know) is that I like 7.1 kind of bass (quantity and quality) more than Invicta. Even on blind test, my wife subconciously toe-tap more when I switch back to 7.1 and stop toe tapping when I switch back to Invicta.
I can hear double bass tone change better with 7.1

That's a hard one I guess.  I cant say if REf 7.1 will ever match Ref 7.1 bass exactly, just that IME Sabre bass improves with better upstream digital components.  It's a massive generalisation, so I should probably state that I am talking complete nonsense here.

Jul 28, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #572 of 4,451
I totally agree the NFB-7.1 responded really well to upgraded cables and USB to spdif converters. The ref7.1 sounded good with any source.

It was brutally revealing and I loved it but the master 7 is even better.

I kept my NFB-7.1 when I had 3 ref7.1s but I no longer had any use for it with the master 7s. There was nothing that the NFB-7.1 did that the master 7 doesn't do better.

Regards

Macrog

Jul 28, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #573 of 4,451
I'll try and borrow an Invicta at some point and compare it. I've been wanting to play with DSD files as well, so it might be a good opportunity.

Jul 28, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #574 of 4,451
That will be good.
Thanks Amos.
From my brief Calyx 24/192 listening in the shop with speaker, I do find similarities with Invicta though, liquid, forward, very detailed mids. Also similar character with bass and treble.
Now, I am not sure, both Invicta and Calyx are mid forward (roll off both ends) or 7.1 is u shape. That's relative, I guess.

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #575 of 4,451
Actually you don't need a side-by-side comparaison of both (Ref7.1 M7) machines. The improvments of the M7 are big and hearable from the first second. The M7 sounds better on the whole line: imaging/soundstaging, naturality, resolution, highs, mids, bass is more precise. I made an upgrade by myself after 7 month of listenig to Ref 7.1. I was blown away by the sound of Ref 7.1 and as the M7 came I didn't hesitate)) If you have good soldering skills - the DIY-way is the perfect one, because while you change the digital board you can also rewire some (all)  inputs/outputs with silver wire.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #577 of 4,451
Total crap?? The M7 is very honest!! I mean, you like the HD800 (as I do)? then the M7 is on the same level - very neutral. But the source has to be very good as well. For me the M7 is a killer... at least in the 10 000 $ range (I had any DACs with Wolfson, Sabre chips etc.. a Lampizator DAC was quite impressive but I don't wanna miss the naturality of the M7 anymore:)))

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #579 of 4,451
I finally managed to get a custom made acss cable for the Master 7. Construction - 22awb solid core OCC Silver wire. 3 wires for positive negative and ground. Furutech mini xlrs. Copper braid connected to both connectors and outer cover. Initial impression after 2 hours of play as compared to stock acss - more detail, no harshness in upper frequencies, music is faster and yet more refined, more extension in upper frequencies, better separation, bigger soundstage, treble has become delicate and slightely warm - almost like through a good tube amp, voices are more clear. And the biggest difference is that the M7 gets PRAT!!!! This dac just keeps giving me more amd more details with every tweak. Cool!

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #581 of 4,451
Quote:
I finally managed to get a custom made acss cable for the Master 7. Construction - 22awb solid core OCC Silver wire. 3 wires for positive negative and ground. Furutech mini xlrs. Copper braid connected to both connectors and outer cover. Initial impression after 2 hours of play as compared to stock acss - more detail, no harshness in upper frequencies, music is faster and yet more refined, more extension in upper frequencies, better separation, bigger soundstage, treble has become delicate and slightely warm - almost like through a good tube amp, voices are more clear. And the biggest difference is that the M7 gets PRAT!!!! This dac just keeps giving me more amd more details with every tweak. Cool!

biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #582 of 4,451
Anyone here need some Master ACSS cables? I still have mine-but have no use for them whatsoever. Those in the CONUS can have them for free-with, say, $7.00 PP Gift for shipping. Lemme know, thanks!

-Daniel

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #583 of 4,451
Quote:
Anyone here need some Master ACSS cables? I still have mine-but have no use for them whatsoever. Thos in the CONUS can have them for free-with, say, $7.00 PP Gift for shipping. Lemme know, thanks!

-Daniel

I have the Master-1 preamp and the Reference 7 DAC. The Ref 7 uses the older large ACSS connectors.  I assume your cables are for the smaller connectors?  If they happen to work with the Ref 7 I'll take them.

Alan

Aug 10, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #584 of 4,451
I managed to borrow the (older) Resonessence Invicta for a couple of weeks and compare it to the Master 7. Detail-wise, there is nothing in it, but the Master 7 does sound a bit more natural in a way that is hard to explain. While it has the detail, I simply wanted to listen with it more than I did the Invicta. However, given the volume control, the Invicta is more practical hooked up to my active speakers.

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #585 of 4,451
What about transient and percussion on the Master 7 compare to let's say the Chord QuteHD?

Anybody compared the Master 7 to Exasound e20 and Vega?

My goal is total black background with total neutrality with total resolution and natural texture of the instruments, perfect layering and perfect 3d imaging/soundstage...

I don't care about colors harsh or warm..  

It's gonna be paired with HD800 and Stax 507 or SR-009 in the future

Users who are viewing this thread

Back