Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Apr 23, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #4,351 of 4,451
Hi guys,
I have a 2016 Master 7 with Singularity board installed and v7 firmware. I'm using it with a Master 9 amp and HD800 headphones and have it connected to PC via USB Anamero 384 board.
If you are truly running V7 firmware then you have the original Master 7 digital board (1 XO)- not Singularity (two XOs), In that case I2S will definitely sound better using a good I2S source. The old design uses I2S clocks directly instead of relying on the single XO PLL as with SPDIF You can achieve quite good sound with the original M7 using the best I2S sources.

Otherwise, if you have the Singularity digital board then upgrading the two XOs to Accusilicon and using a later version of firmware like dsd_clk will be major+ upgrade for that old box. And still sounds best using I2S input from the DI20-HE in my case.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #4,352 of 4,451
If you are truly running V7 firmware then you have the original Master 7 digital board (1 XO)- not Singularity (two XOs), In that case I2S will definitely sound better using a good I2S source. The old design uses I2S clocks directly instead of relying on the single XO PLL as with SPDIF You can achieve quite good sound with the original M7 using the best I2S sources.

Otherwise, if you have the Singularity digital board then upgrading the two XOs to Accusilicon and using a later version of firmware like dsd_clk will be major+ upgrade for that old box. And still sounds best using I2S input from the DI20-HE in my case.
Thank you, I bought it second hand back in 2018. It should be the original Master 7 with the Singularity board additionally installed. When I'm home I'll try to take pictures of its internals and post them here.

I am aware that the DI20-HE sounds better than the SU-6. But I have a limited budget, so the SU-2 is the only option for me.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #4,353 of 4,451
Thank you, I bought it second hand back in 2018. It should be the original Master 7 with the Singularity board additionally installed. When I'm home I'll try to take pictures of its internals and post them here.

I am aware that the DI20-HE sounds better than the SU-6. But I have a limited budget, so the SU-2 is the only option for me.
You could consider the DI-20 base model. It has the advantages that it's cheaper, runs cool to the touch, and the case is a bit shorter front to back.

Sounds great and has the same feartures as the HE model.

Apr 24, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #4,355 of 4,451
IMHO I used both the SU1 and a Modified SU2 (uses DC Power with an LPS) Mine M7 was a 2016 model. I had multiple issues using 12s, The polarity would switch, and sound suffered. I MUCH preferred the Amanero sound it was more open and airy IME... I have the SU2 setting in the corner gathering dust

May 16, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #4,356 of 4,451
Question, I need to update the amanero 384 with the following: CPLD_for_1080MCLK Pin6 output 22.5792 Mhz / 24.576 Mhz - Prescaler -DSD512x48x44.

How do I short the Amanero card?

I circled what I think the shorting pads are, but do I just need something like per clip to go across both ports? Or does there need to be a third touchpoint?

Also, should the Dac be on or off when shorting?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220516_120623.jpg
    20220516_120623.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
May 16, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #4,359 of 4,451
Yes, I'm using that guide. What I don't understand are the exact mechanics on how I short the the Amanero card?
If your DAC has the red button on the back panel, use that. But, if it's a new DAC, check that the shorting button is connected as per the article @FredA linked.

Otherwise, short it with a pair of needle-nosed pliers. And don't touch anything else!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back