Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Nov 7, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #3,406 of 4,451
Mine's done now too (Master 7 with Amanero)

My first impressions are also very good. Like DACladder, the first thing I have noticed was the improvement in bass - less bloat and better mid range definition - bass guitar harmonics easier to follow, etc.

I'm listening to some jazz now with a lot of high hat tinkling going on and the sense of rhythm with those is greater.

I think perhaps the sound is a tad less warm? That's due I guess to the tighter bass and upper extension.

The listening session probably will be a bit longer yet. The DAC takes a good hour to warm up (which is why I leave mine on 24/7 normally).

Many thanks Kingwa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #3,407 of 4,451
Can you guys post the file some where so I can download without using thr chinese site.

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #3,408 of 4,451
@Khragon - sorry, can't do - they transfer the file, program and then delete the file.

I didn't download the software from the Audio GD links. I downloaded the software from the Altera website and it worked fine :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #3,409 of 4,451
Hi All,

My DAC is an early Ref 7.1 without Amanero (DigiHub USB)

My opinions of the upgrade are as follows:
1) Bass - TOO MUCH bass and now booming. Feels fatiguing after about 40mins. Like a subwoofere level too high.
2) As a result of the bass, lower mids seems to be hidden. Middle mids (ie. vocals) seems very forward and narrow soundstage.
3) Treble - very sharp (and piercing when listening to opera)

Seems DAC is now equalised to a "W" which represent the 3 peaks with very deep valleys where sound is lost.

NOS mode (ie. both jumpers on) gets confused in complex music. E.g. Paul Anka & Celine Dion voice is inseparable in parts when both singing in "It's Hard to Say Goodbye".

I much preferred the prev firmware. Switching A/B with Gustard X20 reveal much more micro detail and a more balanced soundstage.

In one sentence, this firmware makes my system sound like a Bose Home Theatre demo at the shops.

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #3,410 of 4,451
I've got the M11 but I'm sure my question will relate to the M7 as well. 

With regards to the Amanero, the additional instruction supplied by Audio-gd specify that a cable on the front panel board be cut.

My question is: If I have an Amanero USB board in my DAC but I am not using the Amanero as an input, do still need to cut specified cable?? 

Currently, I am using HDMI i2s from a SU-1 as my input.

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #3,411 of 4,451
  Hi All,

My DAC is an early Ref 7.1 without Amanero (DigiHub USB)

My opinions of the upgrade are as follows:
1) Bass - TOO MUCH bass and now booming. Feels fatiguing after about 40mins. Like a subwoofere level too high.
2) As a result of the bass, lower mids seems to be hidden. Middle mids (ie. vocals) seems very forward and narrow soundstage.
3) Treble - very sharp (and piercing when listening to opera)

Seems DAC is now equalised to a "W" which represent the 3 peaks with very deep valleys where sound is lost.

NOS mode (ie. both jumpers on) gets confused in complex music. E.g. Paul Anka & Celine Dion voice is inseparable in parts when both singing in "It's Hard to Say Goodbye".

I much preferred the prev firmware. Switching A/B with Gustard X20 reveal much more micro detail and a more balanced soundstage.

In one sentence, this firmware makes my system sound like a Bose Home Theatre demo at the shops.

Have you tried changing your configuration pins?

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #3,413 of 4,451
My Reference 5.32 was reprogrammed with the new DSP firmware.  Previously the 5.32 sounded similar to the Master 7 though the M7 was more dynamic sounding, had less vocal grain, and slightly more harmonic coloration (warmer).

Using SPDIF the 5.32 sounds like a new DAC!   Similar experience - plenty of bass but better quality, clear vocals more forward, and shimmering highs.  Damn, sounding really good!

Yes, I agree the new DSP firmware loses some warmth but gains precision and accuracy.

I always thought the Reference 7.1 was the same as the Master 7 but no USB input. 

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #3,414 of 4,451
  My Reference 5.32 was reprogrammed with the new DSP firmware.  Previously the 5.32 sounded similar to the Master 7 though the M7 was more dynamic sounding, had less vocal grain, and slightly more harmonic coloration (warmer).

Using SPDIF the 5.32 sounds like a new DAC!   Similar experience - plenty of bass but better quality, clear vocals more forward, and shimmering highs.  Damn, sounding really good!

Yes, I agree the new DSP firmware loses some warmth but gains precision and accuracy.

I always thought the Reference 7.1 was the same as the Master 7 but no USB input. 

The Reference series had much different to the Master series.
Less bass and more roll off on high, less dynamic and detail but warmer.

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #3,415 of 4,451
  The Reference series had much different to the Master series.

Continuing to enjoy the DSP firmware change on both the M7 and Ref 5.32.   Pace and rhythm with these DACs have improved especially  compared to 4 years ago with early USB32 use.  Frequency balance and clarity in the vocals is what I like best about the change.     

Does any know where I can download 384k and/ or 352k PCM sound file samples for testing?

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #3,416 of 4,451
  Continuing to enjoy the DSP firmware change on both the M7 and Ref 5.32.   Pace and rhythm with these DACs have improved especially  compared to 4 years ago with early USB32 use.  Frequency balance and clarity in the vocals is what I like best about the change.     

Does any know where I can download 384k and/ or 352k PCM sound file samples for testing?

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #3,417 of 4,451

Try here for some 352k samples - http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html?

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #3,419 of 4,451
Did anyone do the upgrade with Quartus 16.0 or has everyone so far used the 12.1 that was posted by Audio-gd?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back