Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Jul 22, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #2,911 of 4,451
Very nice comparison DACLadder!

Regarding the neutrality and coloration of the M7. My experience is like DACLadder’s that the M7 + OR5 do have some light mid-bass bloom and also a bit recessed upper mid (more without the OR5). Together this can makes the sound a bit congested, murky and less dynamic, at least if comparing to some other really good DACs. With a good ACSS cable I didn’t experience this problem at all (recessed upper mid and mid-bass bloom). Anyone else that has got the same result/change with and without ACSS?

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #2,912 of 4,451
What's an MCU?

MCU is an acronym for microcontroller.  Looking at the Amanero instead of a dedicated USB audio chip such as XMOS they elected to use a generic Atmel microcontroller to handle USB to digital audio functions.  There is a large FPGA behind it that most likely formats this data for the I2S output.   

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #2,914 of 4,451
  M7 and DI will enable you to play around with i2s.
But with m7 +amanero usb, you wont need DI if you are using usb only.
Kingwa should agree amanero usb is now functionally better than usb32.

I emailed, and Kingwa responded to me. He said the DI-2014 using I2S was "slightly better" then the on-board Amanero.
I stick with my current order. If they do end up making an Amanero break-out with I2S I'll buy that, otherwise I'm happy with what I ordered.

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #2,915 of 4,451
Looking for a DAC to replace my audio_GD DAC19dsp, will be used on Marantz PM11S2 amp and Harbeth SHL5 speakers..

So what do you guys think, Schiit YGG or A-GD Master 7/11?  for classical and Jazz trio's? So far I'm leaning towards the Ygg I think
rolleyes.gif

life like tonality/sound is most important to me (and 3d soundstage)

(I am sensitive for hot treble and digital glare..)

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #2,919 of 4,451

MCU is an acronym for microcontroller.  Looking at the Amanero instead of a dedicated USB audio chip such as XMOS they elected to use a generic Atmel microcontroller to handle USB to digital audio functions.  There is a large FPGA behind it that most likely formats this data for the I2S output.   

Cool thanks :)

Edit: Hey DAC you gotten your i2s reclocker from ian @ diyA yet? 

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #2,921 of 4,451
Switched back to the Gustard U12 USB converter as I haven't played with it in a while and my goodness it sounds awesome!!!  Better imaging and depth than my beloved OR5!  Yes, my jaw is dropping and I have switched back and forth several times.  Highly recommended for HDMI I2S but I had to modify the signaling on the I2S port to be compatible with the Master 7.  Changed the U12 oscillators to Crystek and can hear a positive difference but the default oscillators are very good for such a low price.  Also have a random USB connection issue with my setup so the U12 support is non-existent.  But a lot of people have no issues with USB.   I ordered another one to verify if I have a lemon or not.  But the price is right and I have about $100 in mods on top of the $169 selling price.   Cheap for such good performance. 

But it makes the Master 7 shine on HDMI I2S.  Highly recommended if you can get it to work for you.

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #2,922 of 4,451
DAC, Ian's FIFO GB is on right now! So hop on it! My order currently on hold due to lack of funds hoping to pull the trigger soon :frowning2:

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #2,924 of 4,451
  Switched back to the Gustard U12 USB converter as I haven't played with it in a while and my goodness it sounds awesome!!!  Better imaging and depth than my beloved OR5!  Yes, my jaw is dropping and I have switched back and forth several times.  Highly recommended for HDMI I2S but I had to modify the signaling on the I2S port to be compatible with the Master 7.  Changed the U12 oscillators to Crystek and can hear a positive difference but the default oscillators are very good for such a low price.  Also have a random USB connection issue with my setup so the U12 support is non-existent.  But a lot of people have no issues with USB.   I ordered another one to verify if I have a lemon or not.  But the price is right and I have about $100 in mods on top of the $169 selling price.   Cheap for such good performance. 

But it makes the Master 7 shine on HDMI I2S.  Highly recommended if you can get it to work for you.

Hi DACladder,

I'm thinking of buying a Gustard U12 USB converter to use with my Master 7 and was wondering if you could help me with a couple of questions?

1 - i'm currently using the audio GD DI2014 - http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DI2014/DI2014EN.htm as the digital interface, which connects via USB to my computer and then HDMI to the master 7.  If i buy the Gustard do i need to make any changes to the HDMI configuration? or is it a simple swap out?
2 - will there be a significant gain in performance between the Gustard and DI2014?

Thanks. 

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #2,925 of 4,451

Hi DACladder,

I'm thinking of buying a Gustard U12 USB converter to use with my Master 7 and was wondering if you could help me with a couple of questions?

1 - i'm currently using the audio GD DI2014 - http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DI2014/DI2014EN.htm as the digital interface, which connects via USB to my computer and then HDMI to the master 7.  If i buy the Gustard do i need to make any changes to the HDMI configuration? or is it a simple swap out?
2 - will there be a significant gain in performance between the Gustard and DI2014?

Thanks. 

I have no experience with the DI2014 and really have seen few reviews when paired with the Master 7.  I did see a comment that Kingwa thinks the DI2014 is slightly better than the new Amanero USB board upgrade. 

The Gustard U12 is not plug-n-play with the Master 7 HDMI I2S or I would wholeheartedly say give it a try first.  Pinout of the I2S port reverses polarity on two of the four signals.      

Users who are viewing this thread

Back