Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Feb 27, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #1,411 of 4,451

Thanks for reporting back on them, Seaice. Interesting results, does that mean the iPurifier is out and moving onto the For Sale forums? If so, I do have an open Wanted Ad for one and would love to have a listen to it if so.

As for the results, do you still find that with the two in tandem, PC>USB cable>Short Block>iPurifier>M7 (as you originally had), that the results are different and better than just the Short Block alone?

The Ultra Fi Aubisque USB Filter was the first USB filter to mention filtering the data/signal line (like the iPurifier now says) and not just cut the +5v line (like the Short Block does), so that one is first on my list to try. It's just a real pain trying to find one on the used market. I had my head down for a bit and missed one that was on Canuck Audio Mart 2 months ago :frowning2:

My review is still ongoing. I will assess the tandem later and let you know my results then. I am not sure about the "For Sale" forums now but the Short Block stays for sure.

(By the way, I believe that the Short Block is more than a 5V line cut.)

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #1,412 of 4,451
I opened mine and it is more. There is a transformer of some type. With a ferret core. It really does make a difference .

Imprirecal audio stuff is really worth the money. I have an offram 5 and it really makes any dac just far better.

Al

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #1,413 of 4,451
Master-7 is at my home now.  I have very good impressions of it so far. Very detailed, I'm not acustomized to so much info yet. It seems more warm ( slightly more dark than NFB-1.32)  but the highs reach very high, instrument decay is perfect. I have no clue how this DAC could get better lol.

i suppose the off ramp i2s, adds more neutrality to the chain, clarity, detail and speed?

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #1,414 of 4,451
  Master-7 is at my home now.  I have very good impressions of it so far. Very detailed, I'm not acustomized to so much info yet. It seems more warm ( slightly more dark than NFB-1.32)  but the highs reach very high, instrument decay is perfect. I have no clue how this DAC could get better lol.

i suppose the off ramp i2s, adds more neutrality to the chain, clarity, detail and speed?

Quote:

i suppose the off ramp i2s, adds more neutrality to the chain

Yes. Some who like the warmth may not necessarily like this. I felt the M7 was quite warm (and murky) from the USB, but within my tolerance. The latest USB seems to take the slight treble stridency away of the older USB and helps fill in the mids for a more cohesive tonal response.

Yes. Clarity and much much blacker blackground. The USB is really gray and sort of has a haze over the sound. This, in addition to the shallow stage, is what I hated about the USB most. The new USB does stage better though - slightly deeper. Haze is still there.

speed?

Yes. More precision. Less blur. Helps strengthen the attack. A touch more edge and less rounded attack. I can see some not liking this.

detail

Yes. The combination of better blackground, more neutral tone, more precise timing, and massive opening up / deepening of soundstage with separation and layering really help to bring out the micro details. With the OR5, this is the easily the most resolving DAC I own.

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #1,415 of 4,451
Hello Putin. What model offramp and do you use
The new psu and shirt block.
I do agree it makes the DAC much better
Then without
Al

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #1,416 of 4,451
Putin is a bit excessive, though 
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #1,417 of 4,451
Lmao. I am trying on a iPhone no glasses
And I am old at 57. Give a soon to be senior
A pass. Will ya
Al

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,422 of 4,451
What I love from the Master-7 are the microdetails and how they sound in the soundstage. I can hear how the instruments play separately even though there may be a whole lot of them playing at the same time.

More and less rounded attack? Can you elaborate? Does more attack make it more lively?

I think the pronounced mid/low  is taking detail away from Master's 7 presentation.

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #1,425 of 4,451
  Now that I've listened to it a bit more yeah I can tell that a SABRE dac has unatural highs compared to PCM1704

I assume this is in comparison to the NFB1.32?

If so then sorry but that is not really a fair comparison. I have listened to the Ref5.32 and compared to the NFB-7 it's highs were significantly inferior even though it still uses the 1704 chips.

But again not a fair comparison either

Users who are viewing this thread

Back