Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Oct 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #871 of 4,451
I have posted a long review in my "home forum" www. aktives-hoeren.de (with some comparissons to other DACs).

Great review. Informative and enjoyable read even via google translate : P

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #873 of 4,451
Check back with kingwa with what you heard or simply open up cover and check usb32 section for any abnormalities then plug in to some other sources to try it out. List your setup here as well.

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #874 of 4,451
Looks like the grounding in computer not working well. I also agreed to check with Kingwa how to sort it out.
Have you tried the USB with another computer? If it is laptop, better check if the problem still exist under AC power or battery power.
You need to isolate the cause.

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #875 of 4,451
Try different USB cable and different CPU , does it hum without being connected when you select that input?

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #876 of 4,451
Make sure you don't connect the USB through a AC Powered USB Hub, use self-powered USB is fine enough. Having hum noise in USB is not common.

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #877 of 4,451

I looked up the pin-outs for the singled-ended i2s spec for AGD and Empirical Audio and terminated my own CAT-6 RJ-48. It should have worked until Soup told me that Prepo had already asked AGD to arrange the input pins of the i2s to the Empirical Audio spec. So I just used a regular CAT6 cable, no rearranging of pins necessary.

With the standard AGD i2s arrangement, this is how it should go with the OR5:

You can probably ask Steve or Kingwa to make a cable for you.

P.S.

Rubenpp just sent me a hyperclocked OR5 with regulator upgrade for i2s. My unit only has the regulator upgrade for i2s. No hyperclock. Will get back to you on the results. Be prepared to burn money if you go down this route.

Kingwa declined making me an I2S adapter cable.  By Steve are you referring to Steve Eddy of Q Cables?

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #879 of 4,451
Ooh.  Obvious in hindsight, now that you mentioned it.

Non start, tho, considering I'm not using the EA OR5 converter but a PWT I2S output (HDMI connector) to connect to the Master 7 DAC I2S input (RJ-48?).  I don't think Steve Nugent would be especially amenable to that.

Aaand I just got an email from Steve Eddy declining it (analog only).  Any other suggestions for an I2S digital adapter cable fabricator?

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #880 of 4,451
  Ooh.  Obvious in hindsight, now that you mentioned it.

Non start, tho, considering I'm not using the EA OR5 converter but a PWT I2S output (HDMI connector) to connect to the Master 7 DAC I2S input (RJ-48?).  I don't think Steve Nugent would be especially amenable to that.

Aaand I just got an email from Steve Eddy declining it (analog only).  Any other suggestions for an I2S digital adapter cable fabricator?

Converting from the "balanced" i2s signal of the PWT to the regular i2s signal that the Master 7 accepts would involve alot more then just an adapter cable...

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #883 of 4,451
Absolutely true! I am looking for a good interface I2S(over Rj45) whose USB interface supports Kernel Streaming and 24/196 (at least) capable. All I can see is very cheap or very expansive products but no one fits completely. 

- Yulong U18: No kernel streaming.
- KingRex UC384 -> No kernel streaming. This one seems interesting but not possible... :frowning2:
- OR5 --> Perfect. But it is more expansive than M7 if you want full upgrade....
- Ciaudio Transient MKII --> It would be perfecty if a cable adaptator fom minidin to rj45 existed. It has also a balanced I2S which is not possible to M7 neither.

If you want balanced I2S there are more options but it has no sense in my opinion....So does anyone know anything else??

So finally I think I will choose JK MKIII via spdif to M7......

Any comment would be highly appreciated.

JM

PD: I do my best with english, sorry....
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #884 of 4,451
Absolutely true! I am looking for a good interface I2S(over Rj45) whose USB interface supports Kernel Streaming and 24/196 (at least) capable. All I can see is very cheap or very expansive products but no one fits completely. 

- Yulong U18: No kernel streaming.
- KingRex UC384 -> No kernel streaming. This one seems interesting but not possible... :frowning2:
- OR5 --> Perfect. But it is more expansive than M7 if you want full upgrade....
- Ciaudio Transient MKII --> It would be perfecty if a cable adaptator fom minidin to rj45 existed. It has also a balanced I2S which is not possible to M7 neither.

If you want balanced I2S there are more options but it has no sense in my opinion....So does anyone know anything else??

So finally I think I will choose JK MKIII via spdif to M7......

Any comment would be highly appreciated.

JM

PD: I do my best with english, sorry....:confused_face_2:

One another option, M2Tech HiFace EVO

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #885 of 4,451
Yes I forgot about this one but it is arround1500 with full upgrade. Regarding those units that are sold through "updates" I allways wonder if it is worth getting them without these "upgrades".
Would it be better to buy M2Tech (no psu, no clock) and connect to M7 via I2S or JK MKIII via spdif???

What do you think????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back