Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Nov 28, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #4,081 of 4,451
I have just received reply from audio-gd. With the V3A firmware, the jumper setting definitions are as below:

OS8 mode : Bypass = OFF, IPS0 = OFF, IPS1 = OFF
OS4 mode : Bypass = OFF, IPS0 = ON, IPS1 = OFF
OS2 mode : Bypass = OFF, IPS0 = OFF, IPS1 = ON
OS0 mode : Bypass = OFF, IPS0 = ON, IPS1 = ON

NOS1 mode : Bypass = ON, ATT0 = ON, ATT1 = ON
NOS2 mode : Bypass = ON, ATT0 = OFF, ATT1 = ON
NOS3 mode : Bypass = ON, ATT0 = ON, ATT1 = OFF

IN5 HDMI SYN OFF : S1= OFF
IN5 HDMI SYN ON : S1= ON

IN6 USB SYN OFF : S2= ON
IN6 USB SYN ON : S2= OFF

PLL for USB and IIS OFF : PLL=OFF
PLL for USB and IIS ON : PLL=ON

DITH OFF : DITH = OFF
DITH ON : DITH = ON

It seems like Kingwa made many changes, like for pll. It only affects usb now.

Nov 28, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #4,082 of 4,451
Playing music with the M7S (with V3A firmware) now through the USB input. Jumper settings being 8xOS, USB Sync off (S2 jumber in), PLL off, Dithering on. The major problem I am having is I cannot get the M7S USB input recognized through the Icron Ranger 2304GE in the path. I have to connect USB cable directly to the M7S. The Icron Ranger 2304GE was working perfectly good with my Referece 5.32 mod's non isolated Amanero. I think the M7S's isolated Amanero USB is behaving diffferently. Has tried S2 jumper in / out and both settings won't work with the Icron Ranger.

Have already replacing the DC Servo opamps with OPA2140 (on DIP8 adaptors)

Without the Icron Ranger 2304GE in the USB chain, I do not much sound improvement over my Reference 5.32 mod with the Icron Ranger. The soundstage of the M7S is wider but the Reference 5.32 mod with the Icron Ranger has better sound stage depth, layering and imaging. Though I recall the M7S is better than the Reference 5.32 without the Icron Ranger, also the M7S still need more burn in.

Have to find a way to make the Icron Ranger working with the M7S. It is "handicapped" now without the Icron Ranger. Might need to invest in a USB-I2S interface to use the M7S I2S input.

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #4,083 of 4,451
The BYPASS jumper controls OS or NOS mode. S2 = On jumper makes sense to put the USB synchronizer in tightest bandwidth lock (lowest jitter). S1 = On does not unless one is using a sub-par I2S DDC on Input 5.

Start with default OS 8x and get accustomed to it before making other settings like PLL and DITH jumpers. Make one change at a time and listen for a while before moving on. You will go nuts trying to sort out multiple changes at once.

Take what others suggest for jumper settings with some skepticism until proven on your system. On many occasions I find I like other settings better.

Let the M7S acclimate to its new home. And most of all trust your ears. Congrats on you new M7S!

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #4,084 of 4,451
Stupid me, the Icron Ranger receiver power plug was pulled loose when I put the M7S into the rack.... The M7S is now showing its full potential now with the Icron Ranger back into the USB chain.

WIth everything else being equal, I would say the most obvious improvement of the M7S over the Reference 5.32 mod is improved resolution, most obvious in the low frequency. Sound stage is slightly wider. Imaging is now similar but shall improve after the all the XO/TXCO are burnt in. The M7S is also about 2dB louder than the Reference 5.32 through ACSS connections to my Master 1 preamp.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #4,085 of 4,451
I also had a Ref 5.32 that was modified with Amanero USB board. Nice! Tonally the M7 and Ref 5.32 sounded similar when the M7 was new. The M7 is more dynamic in presentation and took a while after receiving to hear the difference. The M7S also has crisper highs. Give it some time to bloom!

And always the M7, M7S, or even the R7 sound best using HDMI I2S over Amanero USB. I can never get to sonic heaven with the Amanero boards. But that is me and my setup... trust your ears.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #4,086 of 4,451
@borrego Do you connect your Icron Ranger boxes point-to-point with Cat 5e/6 cable or do you use an existing LAN network for connection? Interesting devices and was wondering how well it works in an existing Ethernet setup with other traffic. Thanks!...

Nov 28, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #4,087 of 4,451
@borrego Do you connect your Icron Ranger boxes point-to-point with Cat 5e/6 cable or do you use an existing LAN network for connection? Interesting devices and was wondering how well it works in an existing Ethernet setup with other traffic. Thanks!...

I use a short unshielded CAT6 cable for connection. I haven't tried connecting through a router/LAN. The Icron Ranger adds buffering/error correction to the USB connection. With the Icron Ranger I can open multiple web browser windows playing video, have BT client doing downloads in the background and not affecting the sound playing from J.River.

Nov 28, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #4,088 of 4,451
I also had a Ref 5.32 that was modified with Amanero USB board. Nice! Tonally the M7 and Ref 5.32 sounded similar when the M7 was new. The M7 is more dynamic in presentation and took a while after receiving to hear the difference. The M7S also has crisper highs. Give it some time to bloom!

And always the M7, M7S, or even the R7 sound best using HDMI I2S over Amanero USB. I can never get to sonic heaven with the Amanero boards. But that is me and my setup... trust your ears.

LOL, I was actually looking at the new Singxer SU-6 just now when my Icron power plug was loosen. I may try a I2S device latter. My M7S is with the standard RJ45 I2S port so there aren't many option to choose from.

Nov 28, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #4,089 of 4,451
LOL, I was actually looking at the new Singxer SU-6 just now when my Icron power plug was loosen. I may try a I2S device latter. My M7S is with the standard RJ45 I2S port so there aren't many option to choose from.

"new Singxer SU-6" must be a typo. LOL! At least I don't see it listed anywhere on the internet.

Nov 28, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #4,091 of 4,451
Nov 29, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #4,094 of 4,451
Nov 29, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #4,095 of 4,451
The Singxer SU-6 is interesting. Outboard power and additional outputs over the SU-1. But still uses the same Xmos U-208 chip and Crystek 957 oscillators as the SU-1. $650 US. Thanks for pointing it out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back