1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by darknightdk, Sep 3, 2012.
First

Back
262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271
273 274 275 276 277
Next

Last
  1. borrego
    Just got a reply from Kingwa saying the non-fucntioning IN4 optical input was result of using R7 firmware on the M7S, and they shall test and release a dedicated M7S V3A firmware.

2. DACLadder
    So Kingwa is working on Optical support. Technically we are using R2R 7 V3 IN4 I2S firmware currently (not the R7 V3 variation meant for units with the new faceplate). It's getting complicated.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  3. FredA
    The message is: « get the new faceplate ».

4. DACLadder
    I am not sure Kingwa will offer R7 V3 IN4 Optical as that is not a valid shipping configuration currently. If so it is yet another variation of firmware to maintain. Ay Caramba!

5. FredA
    Well, from the picture on audio-gd.com, in4 optical is THE standard config on the r-7.

6. DACLadder
    You are absolutely right Fred! So I am confused.... again! Nothing new!

7. FredA
    I make my share of mistakes too.

8. DACLadder
    The confusion comes from thinking IN4 I2S was standard on the R2R 7 (based upon the photos). And Kingwa releases I2S firmware before Optical. But I should verify before just assuming. Appreciate being corrected any time.

http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R7/R2R7EN.htm

9. borrego
    I did ask about having the R7 front panel to be on the M7S and he did not reply.

A few years ago when I had my Reference 5.32 USB input upgraded to Amanero, Kingwa told me they have lost the original control panel EPROM code of the Reference 5.32 and certain hardwiring has to be made to accomodate the Amanero.

So the front panel control has its own progrmming to be done. I don't think Kingwa would spend the effort for writting new control code for this limited run of M7S. From technically point of view, the major difference of the front panel is to enable setting change without powering the DAC off. I doubt the existing M7S board/logic design can accept setting change without powering off, otherwide there won't be the advise of waiting 30 seconds between turning the unit on/off to avoid abnormal behavior.

10. FredA
    I don’t see why it would not work as the digital boards are the same. My view is nothing special has to be done. It is basically the same dac with different digital to analog converters.

11. borrego
    Anything can be made to work utlmately. It's just that whether the effort (including the effort to support do many different versions of M7/M7S during the 10 years warranty period) is considered justifiable by the manufacturer given the profit made.

12. seaice
  13. DACLadder
    You can download M7 Singularity V3 firmware here. Look in the "R2R7-M7S 7 V3..." directories in the link below. Choose "R2R7-M7S V3 IN4 Optical Firmware" directory if you have Toslink optical on Input 4. Read the "must read this before update.txt" file as you must place a jumper on S2 = On for USB Input 6 to operate in high exact mode. Kingwa goofed the compile on this one. So find a jumper and place it on S2 if using Input 6.

If you have RJ45 I2S on Input 4 pick the other directory "R2R7-M7S V3 IN4 I2S Firmware". S2 = Off is normal for all these other versions except the V3 Optical variation mentioned above.

I am very fond of V3 Accurate (_A.jic) in OS 8x on the M7S. But give them all a try as affects are subtle and use them plus their modes to fine tune your system.
    https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!172&cid=636DC4E8060D66A

DSP update guide: http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/DSPupdataR2REN.htm

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    FredA likes this.
  14. borrego
    I just received my new M7S from audio-gd. It has jumpers on both S1 and S2 coming from the factory. It supposed to have V3 Accurate firmware preloaded. Am I have in 8xOS or NOS mode?

I also put in jumper to enable both PLL and Dithering as suggested in previous posts here. Would enabling both settings still give good results with the latest firmware?

15. borrego
    I have just received reply from audio-gd. With the V3A firmware, the jumper setting definitions are as below:

OS8 mode : Bypass = OFF, IPS0 = OFF, IPS1 = OFF
    OS4 mode : Bypass = OFF, IPS0 = ON, IPS1 = OFF
    OS2 mode : Bypass = OFF, IPS0 = OFF, IPS1 = ON
    OS0 mode : Bypass = OFF, IPS0 = ON, IPS1 = ON

NOS1 mode : Bypass = ON, ATT0 = ON, ATT1 = ON
    NOS2 mode : Bypass = ON, ATT0 = OFF, ATT1 = ON
    NOS3 mode : Bypass = ON, ATT0 = ON, ATT1 = OFF

IN5 HDMI SYN OFF : S1= OFF
    IN5 HDMI SYN ON : S1= ON

IN6 USB SYN OFF : S2= ON
    IN6 USB SYN ON : S2= OFF

PLL for USB and IIS OFF : PLL=OFF