Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Oct 8, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #3,046 of 4,451
..... The only positive thing I've heard from reviews between the two, is that the M7 has that unique PCM1704 sound, that makes some instruments sound magical, electric guitars for example. Although, that's a coloration issue at it's core, it just happens that it's a positive one.

That's why I purchased mine without the possibility of auditioning one first.  I have a Simaudio Moon Nova with the 1704's and I have never found anything to best it (IMHO).  Even tough I never play CD's since I ripped them all, I still can't bear to let the Nova go.

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #3,047 of 4,451
Now i use 3 isolation transformers.The biggest(1000w)for amplifier power stage,other (200w)5pcs r core transf. preamp and volume control stage,last one also 200w for master7.

3Isolation transf. and 5 r core transf. total cost 300usd.The sq improve much much higher than this price.

Oct 10, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #3,048 of 4,451
Hi!
Has anyone updated from usb32 to the amanero module?
The problem is the installation of the new mcu. I can't find any instuctions how to connect the wires.
Has anyone done it yet?
I'd like to diy but realised that I need pictures.
Thanks

Oct 10, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #3,049 of 4,451
Hi!
Has anyone updated from usb32 to the amanero module?
The problem is the installation of the new mcu. I can't find any instuctions how to connect the wires.
Has anyone done it yet?
I'd like to diy but realised that I need pictures.
Thanks

http://www.head-fi.org/t/625793/audio-gd-master-7-discrete-fully-balanced-dac-pcm1704/3000#post_11868594

Pretty involved.

Oct 23, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #3,051 of 4,451
currently i'm testing my Master 7 DAC with Amanero module in NOS mode
I will wrire a extended review about this NOS mode, the following week on my site
http://www.maartenvandruten.com

best regards,

AudioDandy

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #3,053 of 4,451
  So the pink faun arrived yesterday.  Setup was simple - plug it into a PCI-E slot, attach molex connector.  Uses windows drivers.  It doesn't seem to like the "redmere" HDMI cable I had from monoprice.  Replaced it with a another generic HDMI cable I had laying around and everything works now.  I was able to move my system around so am only running a 6 ft HDMI cable vs the 15 ft cable I was running earlier.  Quick impressions of the pink faun vs coax (HT claro II) and USB is imaging seems improved.  Initially I thought voices were more upfront but I think that is due to them being more centered making placement easier.  The soundstage seems more 3D whereas USB/coax seems more compressed horizontally.  It seems like I can pick out instruments, finger's snapping, etc easier but I need to listen to more music to make sure.  I've never heard my OR5 so take my opinions with a grain of salt. 

One issue though - the left and right channels are switched.  Simple enough to switch the cables around but I'm also using the HT claro II for games - would be a hassle to constantly move cables around.  I'm emailing the seller to see if I can get that fixed. 

Will try to update with more impressions as I get them. 

I am a new member.  I've been following this thread in the cyber shadows until I saw you were selling your Pink Faun I2S bridge.  Then I subscribed to inquire about it.  How was it via I2S vs USB?  Did u compare?   I have been thinking of buying one.  I use Jriver on my PC and play mostly FLAC and DSD files.  My audio equipment includes B&K M200 Sonata mono blocks and Thiel 3.5 peakers.  I was thinking of the Gustard X20 as my DAC with this card.

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #3,054 of 4,451
NOS setting

I purchased a Master 7 and i am really extremely pleased with what i hear . I am however very confused with jumper setting for NOS mode from all the reading to have full NOS no oversampling you should use jumper IPSO and IPS1 .

I wrote to Kingwa from AGD and below is his answer :
"
Dear Jean,
The web administrator had do wrong.
And some lot users ask us what defines of the attenuation, NOS, so we have update the web page for simply read by non technology users.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-7/M7EN_Use.htm
Kingwa"

I am confused as this mention only IPS0 , i ask him about IPS1 but no answer .
My retailer  Magna HIFI got similar answer from AGD .

What is the the right setting for full NOS mode  ?
My understanding is that only IPS0 is oversampling x 2

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #3,055 of 4,451
I find the new description less confused to choose more warm sound or more neutral but for NOS mode, it's more confused than before.

So after read the new description, the factory settings are the most neutral i'm right ?

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #3,056 of 4,451
  NOS setting

I purchased a Master 7 and i am really extremely pleased with what i hear . I am however very confused with jumper setting for NOS mode from all the reading to have full NOS no oversampling you should use jumper IPSO and IPS1 .

I wrote to Kingwa from AGD and below is his answer :
"
Dear Jean,
The web administrator had do wrong.
And some lot users ask us what defines of the attenuation, NOS, so we have update the web page for simply read by non technology users.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-7/M7EN_Use.htm
Kingwa"

I am confused as this mention only IPS0 , i ask him about IPS1 but no answer .
My retailer  Magna HIFI got similar answer from AGD .

What is the the right setting for full NOS mode  ?
My understanding is that only IPS0 is oversampling x 2

Yes that’s that I have understand as well. I haven’t tried both the jumper IPSO and IPS1 at the same time (NOS) then I had the M7, but oversampling 2 x and 90 dB filter was my favorite setting.

I didn’t perceive the sound difference to be so much about neutral or warm and instead about more or less revealing and more or less smooth treble and sharper or more blurry image.

To me the 2 x, 90 dB was more revealing, a bit fuller in bass, just a tad fuzzier image and slightly less smooth than the default setting. With the 2 x, 50 dB filter on the other hand the sound was even more revealing, more forward, but also much more edgy and the image was not good.  I also come to the conclusion that then using the lower oversampling and lower filtering it’s very important to have a good source.  It’s always important with a good source, but I think the tolerance is a bit higher in native setting. 

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #3,057 of 4,451
Could your resume the jumper position to get your settings upsampling X2 and 90 db ?

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #3,058 of 4,451
Could your resume the jumper position to get your settings upsampling X2 and 90 db ?

I think it was jumper IPS0 (2 x oversampling) and jumper ATT1 (90 dB stopband). I also had a jumper on PLLEN for best result.

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #3,059 of 4,451
thanks for your experience
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back