Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Aug 22, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #3,002 of 4,451
Stupid question #2  I'm asking this stuff because i'm 73 years old and my eyesight and coordination are not what they used to be
The little red jumpers. For NOS I assume I have to put a jumper on jumper4 ipso and jumper5 ipsi.  What is the best way to pull up a jumper and put it on
jumper positions. I'm trying not to break anything
Alan

Aug 22, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #3,003 of 4,451

Fingers work fine.

Or small needle nose pliers.

Or tweezers.

Up to you :p

The jumpers that came with my unit are pretty poor quality - when I remove a jumper I always seem to pull the plastic shell off the metal contacts which remain on the pins. In which case, I need to get the pliers out to pull off the metal clip.

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #3,004 of 4,451
what are the factory jumpers settings when you receive a new M7 ?

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #3,006 of 4,451
thanks a lot.
i'll order my 2015 amanero M7 tomorrow..yi ah !

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #3,008 of 4,451
great review JAGS, great read for me this evening.
I have 2 questions :
- is amanero module change or affect primary sounds characteristics of the M7 : body and impact, dynamics, wide sounding ?
- with new amanero usb module, do you think the better evolutive choice for the future is RJ45 or Hdmi option ? If usb amanero is as good as Hdmi entry, maybe i have to keep RJ45 socket for use with a server in the future ?

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #3,009 of 4,451
great review JAGS, great read for me this evening.
I have 2 questions :
- is amanero module change or affect primary sounds characteristics of the M7 : body and impact, dynamics, wide sounding ?
- with new amanero usb module, do you think the better evolutive choice for the future is RJ45 or Hdmi option ? If usb amanero is as good as Hdmi entry, maybe i have to keep RJ45 socket for use with a server in the future ?

- According to the review it is an overall improvement. I can't confirm yet as mine is being upgraded by MH.
- I would recommend HDMI above RJ45. Cable length and seems like HDMI is more standard.

Enjoy your new purchase!

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #3,010 of 4,451
JAGS - thanks for the review... looking forward to the reviewer test in NOS mode...

r one - note the RJ45/HDMI option is for i2S. These would be typically used with an external DDC such as Gustard U12, Tanly, Hydra-Z, Offramp, etc.
I have not seen many i2S cards that plug into the computer directly except the Pink Faun.. most are separate boxes that connect to the computer via USB.
HDMI i2S seems to have a slight advantage over RJ45 i2S from all the posts I read (something about a balanced signal), in any case most recommendations are to keep the cable as short as possible,  like 3 CM. The RJ45 socket on the M7 would not connect direct to a computer, except with some device that outputs i2S, possibly through USB such as Audio-GD DI-2014 or the Melodius MX-U8 (but MX-U8 would need to be specially configured for Audio-GD). Anyway, as JAGS mentioned, seems like the HDMI would be preferable.. possible upgrade paths (but would be need be configured for Audio-GD) would be; Gustard U12, Tanly (I am using), Hydra-Z, Empirical Audio Offramp - but the new USB Amanero may be very close to these. I do not think there have been any direct comparisons yet.... Sorry if you already understand this - but your mention of "RJ45 socket for use with a server" I did not understand...

I think the M7 needs some additional break-in hours, and also some warm-up time when powering up... so maybe best to not listen the very first few seconds you pull it new out of the box :)

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #3,011 of 4,451
Thanks also to Motberg and JAGS for there clear informations.
So, i followed your advice and ordered this morning an amanero master 7 USB/Hdmi version.

I am already happy
gs1000.gif

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #3,013 of 4,451
I was searching for a shorter hdmi for my di-2014 to m7, I found this: here
Only posting because the note worthy thing is it has ferrite cores. I'm not sure if those are needed for this application, but the cable itself is heavy duty, and the cores can't hurt. Plus 1.5ft makes it perfect for this application. 

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #3,014 of 4,451
Master 7 amanero 2015 is at home since today. 2 hours of warm up and let's go. It seems to be a very very good upgrade for me : i've never heard my TH900 so euphonic : details, sense of space. Tight and precise bass. I'm already happy. Balancing Act >M7>TH900 is a high good combo.
With many hours of burning what changes i can expect to hear ?

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #3,015 of 4,451
  I was searching for a shorter hdmi for my di-2014 to m7, I found this: here
Only posting because the note worthy thing is it has ferrite cores. I'm not sure if those are needed for this application, but the cable itself is heavy duty, and the cores can't hurt. Plus 1.5ft makes it perfect for this application. 

Nice!  The ferrite cores are usually needed to help the product pass EMI limits.  But could also help keep external EMI out of the interface.  In the LVDS signals there should not be any radiated EMI as the magnetic field generated by one signal of the pair is cancelled by the return signal on the opposite side.  At least in theory as the cable pairs are tightly coupled.  But these 1.5 ft cables should be good.  The shorter the better for jitter.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back