Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Jun 11, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #2,836 of 4,451
I use M7,M10,Scan Speak 8741,6640,duelund,mundorf cross.The source qa660 i2s wav.I miss some detail,and replace all bad copper cable.New suff only silver. Acss,i2s cat,Master 7 inside i2s,qa 660 inside pcb-i2s chip all replaced.Now the sound amazing detailed,soundstage stay wide.Thanks Mr.Silver!!!

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #2,839 of 4,451
I use multiple inputs and change the wire every time I switch on hdmi is not a good way.
I had read that the way to solve this problem is swapping some wires in hdmi-kit but I can't find this manual now

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #2,840 of 4,451
  I use multiple inputs and change the wire every time I switch on hdmi is not a good way.
I had read that the way to solve this problem is swapping some wires in hdmi-kit but I can't find this manual now

Reverse the WCLK (L/RCLK) connection on one side of the HDMI cable.  HDMI cable pins 7 <--> 9.  This will flip the stereo channels.   Easier said than done but possible if you can remove the cable connector shell and get access to cable wires.   Most HDMI cables are molded plastic but the Wireworld type cables with metal shells can be removed.

The Gustard U12 also reverses the HDMI serial data phase (SDATA) so you may also flip HDMI pins 1 <--> 3.  Not correcting this signal affects the absolute phase (180 deg out) of the audio signal when played back through the M7. 

These two changes on one side of the HDMI cable will make the U12 compatible with "PS Audio" audio method for the four I2S signals.  The U12 also has some control bits on HDMI pins 18 and 19 that are different but the M7 does not use these signals.

Gustard U12 HDMI Connector Pinout

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #2,841 of 4,451

DAC Ladders post is good.

I also have the Gustard, but I use it into the BNC or RCA input on the M7.  I wouldn't mind checking out the I2s input but haven't got around to checking out what to do.

I'm not sure you can just swap some wires in the kit.  It appears that you may have to jumper some traces on the Mod or the Gustard.  I would look at doing the mod, as it is cheaper to replace if you screw up.

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #2,843 of 4,451
  DACLadder
thanks a lot! i'll think about it

Another option for the U12 HDMI I2S is to replace the HDMI receiver chip on the M7 HDMI board with a TI SN65LVDS390D.  This chip has the correct pinout for four U12 I2S signals with a standard HDMI cable.  Power and outputs are the same.   Pin 9 - output enable is pulled to ground for the current chip and would need to be isolated (lifted) and +3.3V connected instead.   10 minutes of work for a skill tech. 

But maybe the best solution would be to make the Gustard U12 HDMI output more PS Audio like.  Like the HDMI receiver you can make a chip change on the U12 by replacing the 047 line driver with a TI SN65LVDS391D.  This will correct the outputs so you use a standard HDMI cable on any PS Audio-like HDMI I2S receiver.  Just remember for this chip change to lift pin 8 on the chip and connect to +3.3V instead. 

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #2,844 of 4,451
Does the M7 have the same HDMI pin definition as PS Audio dac? I tried to connect the DI-2014 to PS Audio dac with a Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 HDMI cable (1 meter), but my dac couldn't recognize the signal from DI-2014.

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #2,845 of 4,451

just a warning that you probably already know that it is prudent to power-off both devices before hooking-up any i2S connection.. especially with HDMI, folks are kind of used to pulling/plugging those live..

I have purchased a Melodius MX-U8 DDC and also the Tanly DDC where the factories changed the i2S outputs to match the Master 7. The MX-U8 RJ45 and the Tanly HDMI both work well, I am using short connector wires. Both of these I checked for L/R assignment and they were OK.. not sure about absolute phase though... so maybe an option to consider selling the U12 and ordering something that has been set at the factory... 

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #2,846 of 4,451
  Does the M7 have the same HDMI pin definition as PS Audio dac? I tried to connect the DI-2014 to PS Audio dac with a Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 HDMI cable (1 meter), but my dac couldn't recognize the signal from DI-2014.

Yes, the M7 HDMI I2S interface is "PS Audio" compatible.  Is your DAC the Master 7?   There are some control signals that may apply but are ignored by al lot of DACs including the M7.  But the four I2S signals are the same. 

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #2,847 of 4,451
actually, what is the better option for M7 ? USB/I2S or USB/RJ45 ?

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #2,849 of 4,451
Ok, both are i2s. Which application use hdmi connection actually ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back