Audio-gd FUN... What will it amplify and do well? (COMPASS owners are welcome)
Mar 14, 2010 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Edoardo

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, what about the Audio GD FUN, I like this all-in-a-box thing, but will it do any of the three things it is supposed to do well?

I'd like to try it and couple it with some European headphone that (I don't know but I've been told) does not require anything of that special to shine... Such as a DT880 or a HD600...

Will it be worth a pair of harder ones? What about k701? Y/N?

I'm speaking about the version A, with the ACSS circuit...

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 12
I have a Compass, which is the previous generation FUN.

The FUN is a very versatile and complete device, especially for the price point, just like most of Audio-GD products. You will definitely need a decent amplifier for those high Independence cans, it's unavoidable.

If the FUN is sait to be a tad better than the compass, it can hardly be beat unless you pay almost twice the price.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by noxlord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Compass, which is the previous generation FUN.

The FUN is a very versatile and complete device, especially for the price point, just like most of Audio-GD products. You will definitely need a decent amplifier for those high Independence cans, it's unavoidable.

If the FUN is sait to be a tad better than the compass, it can hardly be beat unless you pay almost twice the price.

you mean high impedance don't you?
regular_smile .gif

would the FUN be a nice choice then? good amp and value for money? Looking at the photos of the circuits, it looks damnly well made!

I find it very interesting as version "A" works as a CURRENT SOURCE... Just like an OTL amp... So... Maybe with the DT-880... I wanna try it!
ph34r.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 12
I have heard lot's of high end and studio gear and will happily vouch for the A version of the FUN, though I would recommend adding an Earth HDAM for the DAC output, if possible. The thing has plenty of power, the transformer inside is rated at 50W. There is an effortless quality to the device, it handles fast, extreme dynamics like it's not even trying. As for the DAC section, the only DAC's that compare under $1500, are also made by audio-gd. Seriously, it's very good, very clear and smooth. I have a Compass as well, and can vouch for it, if you happen to run across a used one...but the FUN really is significantly better sounding, and makes a very nice preamp as well, not to mention sounds better with USB. Good Luck.

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 12
It depends what you mean by "well". I think it does very well as a standalone DAC with the DIR9001/AD1852/Earth HDAM combination. Considering that what I'm used to driving headphones well is pretty high-end and IMO the minimum grade of amp that for the usual suspects such as the HD6X0 etc. is the C2C or an equivalent mid-range amp from another manufacturer, unlike the Compass, the A-mode Fun comes pretty close to that. More than anything, one's impressions of the Fun probably relate more to what one is used to listening to music with. Coming from a sound card it'll be a revelation, for example.

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 12
The Compass drives my HD650's quite well. I use it when I game because I don't want to use up too much power with my tube amp, and I get all the detail that I need even if the soundstage is kind of small.
You can't go wrong with it because when you upgrade later you'll have an amazing DAC.

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 12
many people say that the 600 ohm versions are much better than the 250 ohm version. I don't know about the price of shipping from HeadRoom to venice, but they are only 20 dollars more on HeadRoom.
Beyerdynamic DT 880 - Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

Mar 20, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
many people say that the 600 ohm versions are much better than the 250 ohm version. I don't know about the price of shipping from HeadRoom to venice, but they are only 20 dollars more on HeadRoom.
Beyerdynamic DT 880 - Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

Thanks but for me it is more convenient to buy the headphones directly from Beyerdynamic Manufaktur in Europe, for a matter of taxes, change and shipping costs.

Kopfhörer - Mikrofone - Mikrofon: beyerdynamic

True, many people say that 600 Ohmers sound better, but they all have such a rig that I, with my little amp, prefer to rely on something "easier" and more versatile!
normal_smile .gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #11 of 12
I have tried it with the Beyer DT 880's (320 ohm I think but 600 ohm would run fine), and senns 650's. Soon to try some grado G series, beyer T1 and sen 800. But the 650's and beyer 880's sound really great through USB. Very nice indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back