Audio-gd Digital Filter (flavor switch) for NFB5, NFB9, NFB10se, NFB3.1
Dec 9, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #16 of 34
Just now listening to 24 bits songs... via using filter #6 through LCD2r2.. wow... the sound quality.. It really blow my mind off... sweet though. 
beyersmile.png

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #17 of 34
My NFB-8.1 has digital filters too.  I have been using Display 3 because it sounds like my Sony disc player except music has more body, it sounds fuller and warmer.  The biggest difference is in the bass.  Back to the filters, it's hard to tell the difference except with some tracks where treble is less bright (softer).  I shall experiment more.      

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #18 of 34
My preference is for filter 6. IMO, after doing some A B comparisons with filters 3 and 9, filter 6 has better detail seperation and is a good match for most music. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #19 of 34
If you guys are playing 24bits songs... the filter #6 is superb~

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #20 of 34
On my setup my fav are 3-6-9 , i don't like at all 1-4 , should try more 5-7 , peraphs later . 

Currently using 9 (my files are only Ripped CD Flac 16bits / 44khz and for my taste 9 have a slight edge here . 

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #21 of 34
The filters sounded very much the same, except one or two filters are less bright on a female vocal.  However, the difference in brightness is very small.  I found bass to be very similar as well.  My test discs were the soundtracks of Metal Gear Solid, Fearless and Silent Hill 4.  May be the filters are very close in sound signature.  

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #22 of 34

Quote:
The filters sounded very much the same, except one or two filters are less bright on a female vocal.  However, the difference in brightness is very small.  I found bass to be very similar as well.  My test discs were the soundtracks of Metal Gear Solid, Fearless and Silent Hill 4.  May be the filters are very close in sound signature.  

Not really, if your song quality is in 24 bits, try the #6, is different.

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #24 of 34

Quote:
I only have red book discs.  Are they all in 16 bit ?

What you meant by red book discs? But for what i know is market cd audio is recorded in 16 bits only. So, you won't feel any different in the filters. Try to get 24 bit songs then u will feel it.

Ok, i found it via Wiki. Thus, it was a 16 bits songs only.

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #27 of 34
Having a really weird issue with my Audio-gd NFB-3.1 (DIR90001 installed)

Filters 7,8 and 9 don't work when playing 44,1kHz material from with iTunes or when playing Spotify (not sure what the sampling rate from Spotify is). Using a coaxial cable coming from a V-Link II usb/spdif-converter.

Oddly when using the optical connection coming from an airport express all filters work. Wondering if I need to return the dac, any ideas?

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #28 of 34
I think you are right and upsampling happening somewhere - have you checked your operating system sound mixer settings for output sampling frequency?

The DAC is probably not broken IME - the airport is probably just putting out 44.1 khz as it should while your computer is probably not.  Sorry but I can't help much with MAC OS
triportsad.gif

Mar 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #29 of 34

Quote:
I think you are right and upsampling happening somewhere - have you checked your operating system sound mixer settings for output sampling frequency?

The DAC is probably not broken IME - the airport is probably just putting out 44.1 khz as it should while your computer is probably not.  Sorry but I can't help much with MAC OS
triportsad.gif

Well I doubt there's any upsampling done. Proved this by connecting my laptop straight to the dac with a usb-cable (I usually have a usb-s/pdif -converter in between), and then all filters functioned correctly. But when having the signal come from the converter (v-link 2) by coaxial cable, three last filters give a hiss. I checked that the usb-s/pdif -converter does NOT perform upsampling.

Darn shame, this is now the second one of these NFB-3.1's I have to send back due to not functioning properly. The sound the dac produces is very good.

edit: checked that the sound coming out of the macbook air is 48kHz 24bit. Should work like it does through usb.

Mar 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #30 of 34
I'm sorry I couldn't help.  Good luck getting the problem sorted anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back