Audio-gd DI24/DI24HE
Jan 29, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #106 of 477
The DI-24 is technicaly slightly superior to the 20. Better clarity, detail, energy. But the 20 is warmer and some may prefer that. It is like not everyone prefers the technically best headphones because they are not always enjoyable, but the "close to flagship" ones often offer more fun even though slightly less technically proficient . So this can be a matter of taste... It is not a CLEAR knockout....... at all.... I prefer the 24, but I can see others disagreeing.
you still have the DI20HE?

How tight is the 24HE with the timing/rythm?

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #107 of 477
@Jandu I have done a test. I set the dac to internal. The streamer hooked up to the 75-ohm clock out of the di24he, external selected.

Switching between internal and external on the di24he allows synchyng the streamer or not to the di24he. The dac and di24he are not synched (dac on internal). The effect is subtle but the sound becomes more 3d.

With the dac on external, switching the di24he between internal and external has an effect that is more important on depth. Logical because doing so, we go from no synching to full synching.

The midrange is not in evidence when fully on external. Some instruments move backward. Hence the more tridimensionnel outcome.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #109 of 477
you still have the DI20HE?

How tight is the 24HE with the timing/rythm?
The 24HE is dilevering less colored music than the 20. Better in all technicalities. But it is not by a huge amount. I appreciate the difference because I'm spoiled. Many will not think it is worth it for $1200 once you include shipping and pp fees if you already have a 20HE.

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #111 of 477
I don't think so... The OCK2 will beat it for sure.
I’m using OCK2 as master clock for Uptone audio EtherREGEN (feeding IFi ZenStream) to DI-20 He, to R7/HE Mk 2 Dac and after many hundreds of hours sound is best ever. Losing SPDIF input is a big negative. We’ll see if it eventually gets added. Possibly splitting hairs for need of EtherREGEN.

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #112 of 477
The 24 and 20 sound much much much more similar than different. 24 is an improvement;- not an explosive new discovery that blows one away.
By the way, my intention is NOT to diminish the accomplishment of the 24; only to put it in perspective. Remember, the 20 is the finest DDC ever created by anyone until a month ago. Better than Denefrips, Gustard, Singxer. So the 24 is an improvement on what was already the best on the market- and this cannot be taken lightly. The improvement is noteworthy- just not day and night, but when improving on the best that previously existed, what more can one ask.

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #113 of 477
@Jandu I have done a test. I set the dac to internal. The streamer hooked up to the 75-ohm clock out of the di24he, external selected.

Switching between internal and external on the di24he allows synchyng the streamer or not to the di24he. The dac and di24he are not synched (dac on internal). The effect is subtle but the sound becomes more 3d.

With the dac on external, switching the di24he between internal and external has an effect that is more important on depth. Logical because doing so, we go from no synching to full synching.

The midrange is not in evidence when fully on external. Some instruments move backward. Hence the more tridimensionnel outcome.
Thanks, for taking the time to check it out.

In conclusion:

Full Sync(Streamer&Di24He&Dac)>DI24He sync with Streamer>no sync. This makes sense.
It is also important to note that with a streamer that is capable of taking clock signal, it is worthwhile to sync between streamer and Di24He using the clock feed from the Di24He.

:thumbsup:

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #114 of 477
Thanks, for taking the time to check it out.

In conclusion:

Full Sync(Streamer&Di24He&Dac)>DI24He sync with Streamer>no sync. This makes sense.
It is also important to note that with a streamer that is capable of taking clock signal, it is worthwhile to sync between streamer and Di24He using the clock feed from the Di24He.

:thumbsup:
Synching the streamer has a very small effect though. Smaller than with the di20he, from memory. I could also synch the streamer using the remaining clock output on my Afterdark but the di24he makes it more convenient cause closer.

Jan 30, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #115 of 477
If I could point out my favorite aspect of the 24 over the 20- it would not be what is improved, but rather what is removed- namely warmth. In fact, if I had to in the few words describe the 24 relitive to the 20 I'd say it sounds like the 20 with the warmth removed;- and this just makes everything better because it is like removing a cover and revealing music more properly, more energeticly, cleaner, purer. I am thrillled.....

Jan 30, 2024 at 2:02 AM Post #116 of 477
If I could point out my favorite aspect of the 24 over the 20- it would not be what is improved, but rather what is removed- namely warmth. In fact, if I had to in the few words describe the 24 relitive to the 20 I'd say it sounds like the 20 with the warmth removed;- and this just makes everything better because it is like removing a cover and revealing music more properly, more energeticly, cleaner, purer. I am thrillled.....
What a good timing. I am going to experimenting with R1N to bring out more analog texture/dirt. So far the Pink Faun Bridge V1(I2S) has been amazing, it is more warm than DI20HE. Very musical bridge for R2R owners👍

Now that I have the DI20HE on the R1N I ordered the SPDIF Bridge V1 and Pink Faun SPDIF cable. PF SPDIF input -DI20HE- PF I2S output to R1N

If I get the same results the SPDIF Bridge V1 it might take the DI24HE to another level for analog/warmth experience. Ultra-realism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back