Audio-gd DI24/DI24HE
May 24, 2024 at 4:48 AM Post #526 of 559
I was literally testing out a USB isolator/re-clocker last night in my system using the DI-24HE. Now bear in mind Audio-gd state on there website the following
"The DI-24HE had built in ultra speed isolation, fully isolate the USB and clock inputs to the all outputs, don't need connect external USB isolation , just let the USB connect to computer directly."

From that statement I was not expecting any improvement from adding the USB isolator/re-clocker connected between my streamer and DI-24HE but there was enough for me to keep it in the chain.

May 24, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #527 of 559
I was literally testing out a USB isolator/re-clocker last night in my system using the DI-24HE. Now bear in mind Audio-gd state on there website the following
"The DI-24HE had built in ultra speed isolation, fully isolate the USB and clock inputs to the all outputs, don't need connect external USB isolation , just let the USB connect to computer directly."

From that statement I was not expecting any improvement from adding the USB isolator/re-clocker connected between my streamer and DI-24HE but there was enough for me to keep it in the chain.
Absolutely. I know of this statement for years and my ears do not hear it that way. In my case- the change is more than "enough to keep in my chain". My surprise was that once these isolators are there- the USB cable does not make a difference to my ears- which it always did before the USB isolators.

I wonder now- if the HDMI cable from the DI to the DAC makes a difference- considering the enormity of my new discovery in the USB side. I'll need to test this.

I was ALWAYS a believer in cables making a difference and was never on the side of "it is all ones and zeros"- so it is all in our heads. But now- I'm reconsidering. Apparently, I could postulate that cables can and will make sonic differneces when power is not super squeaky clean- as I guess they may somehow block some noise or EMI. But if power is crazy clean- Im now in doubt and I may join the "its all ones and zeros" crowd.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #528 of 559
In my system, with my ears- like many of you- I can hear the difference every single small change makes.

On example is I have always found my usb cables from my fanless linear power driven PC to the DI-24HE make a difference.

Now- I just tested the following two noise isolators which I placed together on the output of my PC:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...o.order_list.order_list_main.5.2aa218021XnuJF

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.27.ce2f1802ri9OgS

The second one, according to the claim of the company- when powered by an outside PS completely disables the power of the PC.

So I got this PS: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174916750687?var=474066697019 It measures .02uv ripple;- less than any linear PS I ever found.

I replaced the PS fuse with an audiophile fuse as well and got a Ghent Audio DC cable made of OCC copper by Neotech.

To my shock, I can barely tell the difference between a $2000 USB cabe and a $2 Greentech cable. I actually think I prefer the Greentech- but the difference is hairsplitting.

I am forced to conclude that when the power is cleaned up really really well, the USB cable does not make a difference, or option two- my hearing is going bad.

For those who have experience with these little usb isolators- I ask you to please recommend other options. I considered the LHY USB isolator, but I dont think the OXCO input will help much if I already have an external clock on the DI-24HE, and on my DAC. Also- although the LHY PS is probobly very good, I doubt it is as good as the .2uV ripple one I bought on ebay.
You can't go wrong with these little devices. There are equivalents to ifi Defender and Purifier.

Can be used in series, but there are rules to follow. A Defender type (2nd link) should be plugged directly to the USB host, with the LPS following a rule of minimising surface area between PC power cord.

The best use of a 1st link is on the receiving side where ferrite chokes are installed as well.

As for the LHY isolator, there are less expensive, see links on the Douk Audio Poorman DDC thread. The last post brings very nice quality isolator for $27.

And I agree, with a good noise filtering $3K cable becomes a waste of money.

Would they replace DI-20HE? Nah!

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #529 of 559
In my system, with my ears- like many of you- I can hear the difference every single small change makes.

On example is I have always found my usb cables from my fanless linear power driven PC to the DI-24HE make a difference.

Now- I just tested the following two noise isolators which I placed together on the output of my PC:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...o.order_list.order_list_main.5.2aa218021XnuJF

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.27.ce2f1802ri9OgS

The second one, according to the claim of the company,- when powered by an outside PS--- completely disables the power of the PC's USB output leaving zero footprint from any noise coming from the PC.

So I got this PS: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174916750687?var=474066697019 It measures .02uv ripple;- less than any linear PS I ever found.

I replaced the PS fuse with an audiophile fuse as well and got a Ghent Audio DC cable made of OCC copper by Neotech.

To my shock, I can barely tell the difference between a $2000 USB cabe and a $2 Greentech cable. I actually think I prefer the Greentech- but the difference is hairsplitting.

I am forced to conclude that when the power is cleaned up really really well, the USB cable does not make a difference, or option two- my hearing is going bad.

For those who have experience with these little usb isolators- I ask you to please recommend other options. I considered the LHY USB isolator, but I dont think the OXCO input will help much if I already have an external clock on the DI-24HE, and on my DAC. Also- although the LHY PS is probobly very good, I doubt it is as good as the .2uV ripple one I bought on ebay.
I have been using the second USB isolator you linked for some months now. It’s very effective. Powered by an Ifi Power X + DC iPurifier which together are quite low ripple. Inserting it very noticeably improves both the LHY UIP and the Innuous PhoenixUSB vs each direct from my server. Also tried a Holo Titanis inserted after the first isolator which definitely changed the sound, seemed clearer and more resolving initially but I realised it was a little edgy, less calm and balanced so removed it.

May 24, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #530 of 559
PCM 384kHz limit is related to the Amanero I2S interface limit. It is not USB limit, not drivers, as DSD512 demonstrate it clearly. A weakest part impose restriction to the entire chain.

With DI-20 nothing you can do as Amanero interface is integrated with the motherboard. DI-24 is different. Now Amanero is back on the module (like in all DACs), user replaceable. Why Kingwa made such backward move? I was wondering why, now is clear. Simply because Amanero brings an upgraded version soon, it is expected to be released next month. It is called Combo768. I don't know when will be available for DI-24 (and DACs - which DAC?), as Kingwa has to produce an OEM version. Keep enquiring Audio GD by mail if it is important to you.

EDIT Re: The last question. You can flash Amanero firmware on both models. It is the same hardware. A downstream I2S link use the same maximum frequency.
AFAIK, the Combo768 is available at Audiophonics in France for example.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #534 of 559
Even though I think I have solved the limited upsampling issues with the DI-24HE using I2S in HQPlayer with the help from @sajunky confirming upgrades are needed in firmware and Amanero which are not available as yet, I thought I would just try my Holo red.
So I replaced the DI-24HE with the Holo red set in DDC mode and got the full 512DSD and 768khz using I2S out from holo red to dac.

May 26, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #535 of 559
Even though I think I have solved the limited upsampling issues with the DI-24HE using I2S in HQPlayer with the help from @sajunky confirming upgrades are needed in firmware and Amanero which are not available as yet, I thought I would just try my Holo red.
So I replaced the DI-24HE with the Holo red set in DDC mode and got the full 512DSD and 768khz using I2S out from holo red to dac.
A final result is important. Sound quality, not numbers. I know, you need PCM 768kHz which is optimal for your Delta-Sigma DAC. But do PCM 768kHz sounds better than DSD512 in your DAC? That is a big question and seriously... doubtful. But a DSD512 is available with DI-24HE.

May 26, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #536 of 559
A final result is important. Sound quality, not numbers. I know, you need PCM 768kHz which is optimal for your Delta-Sigma DAC. But do PCM 768kHz sounds better than DSD512 in your DAC? That is a big question and seriously... doubtful. But a DSD512 is available with DI-24HE.
An interesting point. Is there a compromise in gear working at the edge of it capabilities?

I personally think that specs are more marketing tools than of genuine value.

I am pretty sure I can hear the improvement of High resolution files but sure I have zero ability to hear sample rates.

My second system with DI24HE presents more information that my Grimm MU1 system though. I know there are other variables but the DI24HE Rocks !

Andrew

May 26, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #537 of 559
I am holding off changing from Windows to Linux Amanero incase I mess things up. I have only upgraded the firmware using the Altera Blaster and the Altera programming software which was a success. Not sure on how to go about changing the software from Windows to Linux as I do not think the Altera Blaster that plugs in the back of the DI-24HE is used?
Also where is the Amanero Linux available to download as on the Amanero website there are a few of them?
Also if I did change to Linux would that mean I would not beable to update any future FPGA firmware as it will not connect to windows PC using Blaster after the change to Linux.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #539 of 559
If Audio-gd and I hope they will release the new Amanero Combo768 for their DACs and the DI24 then the Holo Red will not have an advantage anymore.
Maybe around a month or so at a guess. It is going to be released just need the Amanero engineers to up there pace.

May 26, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #540 of 559
An interesting point. Is there a compromise in gear working at the edge of it capabilities?

I personally think that specs are more marketing tools than of genuine value.

I am pretty sure I can hear the improvement of High resolution files but sure I have zero ability to hear sample rates.

My second system with DI24HE presents more information that my Grimm MU1 system though. I know there are other variables but the DI24HE Rocks !

Andrew
You are absolutely right, a balance is in between. Higher sampling rate increases jitter proportionally.

However I need to give credit to @naynay. There is a special case with Delta-Sigma DAC's, where only a specific sample rate allows bypassing internal DAC oversampling engine. HQPlayers fans know what is critical sampling rate for their chipset. Have R2R NOS DAC for greater flexibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back