Audio-GD DI-20
Dec 5, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #4,998 of 5,353
Dec 5, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #4,999 of 5,353
Hi guys, i want to upgrade a bit my RME ADI2 pro fs interface, and i am considering to buy the DI20HE.
But, the RME is quite neutral and clinic and it works great for me, because i am a mastering engineer.
I need upgrade only in the instrument separation, depth, soundstage, dynamics ets.. not in color !

So, do you think the DI20HE will give me true representation of the source, just better - without excess coloring ?

Thanks !
DI20HE sounds like a very nice “plugin”.
Same with DAC and the AMP.

Audio-gd is like the sweetest velvety/silky dark/warm fullness plugin.

If Audio-gd was in the pro industry, it would make one of the best summing/tape hardware.

I strongly suggest you to try the DI20HE.

If I ever get my head together Im gonna try use my headamp/preamp HE-9LE as summing, mixdown.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #5,000 of 5,353
DI20HE sounds like a very nice “plugin”.
Same with DAC and the AMP.

Audio-gd is like the sweetest velvety/silky dark/warm fullness plugin.

If Audio-gd was in the pro industry, it would make one of the best summing/tape hardware.

I strongly suggest you to try the DI20HE.

If I ever get my head together Im gonna try use my headamp/preamp HE-9LE as summing, mixdown.
Do i have to understand that the DI20HE will change the whole sound signature of my interface, including the AD-DA characteristics of my RME interface ?
Thanks

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #5,001 of 5,353
Do i have to understand that the DI20HE will change the whole sound signature of my interface, including the AD-DA characteristics of my RME interface ?
Thanks
Not to such level. It won't cure RME artefacts. :wink:

Dec 5, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #5,002 of 5,353
Thanks
You will have to try it for yourself. For me it feels like it adds to the music instead of taking something away, or standing in the way. This can be hard to mix on as you want the most "boringly flat" sounding DAWs to make great music, which RME is very known for.

What do yo mean by the AD part?

Dec 5, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #5,005 of 5,353
I mean if it changes how the whole interface sound, it would change ant the AD of the RME - what i capture from my analog chain.
It will feed your DAC with a clocked stream.
It does not do DSP.

Dec 5, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #5,006 of 5,353
I mean if it changes how the whole interface sound, it would change ant the AD of the RME - what i capture from my analog chain.
Well as it is before the RME it will effect the sound. DI20HE is not the typical DDC.

If you want something unaltered clean "generic" go for Matrix SPDIF2 or 3 if you want better I2S than SPDIF2.

DI20HE is something special after 1000hours hours of break-in.

Keep in mind you will never find better drivers than RME for ASIO applications. Placing any DDC in front will eliminate the capabilities of the RME because you are using the DDC driver.

My recommendation would be use DI20HE as reference. Connect both USB and DI20HE/SPDIF(ACSS). Use the SPDIF input as playback(with higher buffer), and switch back to USB when mixing.

How do you record? - ADI-2 has no inputs/AD.

...EDIT: I read that you have the PRO version. So thats awesome!

I don´t think you can record back through RME to the DI20HE. DI20HE is only output. Which means it will not effect the recordings/AD, that is in RME domain

1701818702957.png

As you can see the SPDIF is only optical which is not going to work with DI20HE. Do you have the breakout cable with SPDIF/RCA and AES XLR input?

---

Please provide full specs of your computer I think you could do some upgrades there first.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #5,007 of 5,353
Yes, i want the sound not to be colored but i didn`t know that i will not be able to use the RME drivers anymore !
RME firmwares stability is one of the reasons i bought it..
Maybe i have to think about something like Wyred 4 sound recovery, that doеsn`t use any drivers, just cleans the signal, galvanically isolates and don`t colors at all.
But i am sure i will not reach that depth, 3d and dynamic realism i am looking for with it.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #5,008 of 5,353
Yes, i want the sound not to be colored but i didn`t know that i will not be able to use the RME drivers anymore !
Maybe i have to think about something like Wyred 4 sound recovery, that doеsn`t use any drivers, just cleans the signal, galvanically isolates and don`t colors at all.
But i am sure i will not reach that depth, 3d and dynamic realism i am looking for with it.
Recommendation: research about DDC, USB Bridge and reclocker etc.
——

If you hear any kind of noise/radio signal in speakers, ground one of the feet on the RME, this makes the sound for me more clean and eliminated all noise from computer on ADI-2 FS

I understand that the DI20HE option is not going to meet your needs as you have to use the RME asio drivers, also need to record into the computer.

Short and sweet upgrade your RM750 to the best: CORSAIR/EVGA/Superflower

Use the CPU connected USB ports on the motherboard for even better stability and lower latency.

(If you can afford/risk it buy the JCAT USB XE and see if its better than motherboard, could be a good recording/signal path into the computer)

Extra: iFi iPower X 12V PSU is also a nice great upgrade for the RME instead of stock powersupply. The iFi Elite is more impressive on the RME.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #5,009 of 5,353
DI20HE is great and will add no coloration. Some people have had problem with AGD firmware and noise thou.

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #5,010 of 5,353
I don’t belive this has been mentioned, excuse me if it has..

Have you noticed if the distortion happens when the music changes sample rates between albums?

I have an older dac, and it cannot handle the shift in samle rates. If I start out playing 44khz tracks it works fine until I try a different sample rate. Sometimes it goes well but often the distortion happens on the first change. Else 2nd or 3rd.

My ‘solution‘ has been to limit roon to always output cd quality ☺️
I have exactly the same problem, is this a problem with the DAC or with the DI-20HE? Is there a different solution ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back